Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

is GW2 still played a lot?

someone told me that GW2 isn't played a lot anymore, but how popular is it really? On high pop servers, how many people can you expect to see during peak times? are they spread around the world or concentrated in cities and high level zones? is it easy to find a group? how can I find a guild? are there Dutch guilds as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

http://mos.millenium.org/na/

My server is very high pop (the only choice in NA is Full or Very High), we regularly have overflows in the latest content areas, Lion's Arch is packed during the day but after reset people scatter out into the world doing dungeons, fractals, wvw, world events, guild missions, etc. Very easy to find groups for just about anything.

The number of people you can see in the open world at a time is still limited due to culling but if you take 2 steps in a congested area, new groups keep popping up on your screen. WvW does not have that problem, you see simply oceans of players.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    I'm on Gandara EU. are there any Dutch guilds on there?

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea. Gandara doesn't have the DE designation.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/wvw
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Dutch people tend to roll on english servers, but I have met some on german servers to (not in GW2 so far).

You might want to check the official recruiting forums:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ds/recruitment

Found a Dutch guild recruiting on Gandara on the second page:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ild-on-Gandara

According to XFire and Raptr GW2 is still the second most played MMO after WoW, so yes it is still very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
    I'm on Gandara EU. are there any Dutch guilds on there?
    most dutch are on far shiverpeaks.

The total population for all servers is currently twelve.
    Infracted --Kel
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-06-09 at 12:37 AM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I honestly just got burn out on GW2. It lost its magic after a few months. Maybe its just not a good match for me iono

To me it sadly feels like it isn't played a lot anymore but that isn't true.
    I simply ran into a lot of "issues" which leave me disconnected from other players:

The problem is that I joined a PvP server from the start so I had PvP and WvW to keep me entertained. Due to my team disbanding I looked elsewhere to keep me busy (WvW) but everyone's left WvW for another server. This means we don't stand a chance in any battle only because of numbers. There's no queue time at all for any borderland yet on EB we seem to dominate (hint that's where "casuals" tend to hang-out). We used to be a T1 server but now I don't see us get past t5.

For PvE I started my own hardcore guild (we were up to 50ish members) a little time before guild missions etc. were announced. The guild was focused around two things: 1. be a hard-core player and 2. no need to represent(but whenever we did stuff together most ppl repped anyway). Sadly due to guild missions everyone was sort of forced to treat the guild step-motherly since in order to stay with "current" gear we had to do all this stuff with other guilds which meant less time for actually being hard-core. The sad part is that the game is so accessible/noob friendly that a lot of HC friends of mine already quit.

In theory you can say "just transfer to another server". Sadly this isn't the case. My bank-guild won't transfer with me, which means I either have to sell everything (I don't want to) or "buy" all the influence I need on another realm (not gonna happen).

TLDR: It's played a lot but it really depends on what server you end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    To me it sadly feels like it isn't played a lot anymore but that isn't true.
    I simply ran into a lot of "issues" which leave me disconnected from other players:

The problem is that I joined a PvP server from the start so I had PvP and WvW to keep me entertained. Due to my team disbanding I looked elsewhere to keep me busy (WvW) but everyone's left WvW for another server. This means we don't stand a chance in any battle only because of numbers. There's no queue time at all for any borderland yet on EB we seem to dominate (hint that's where "casuals" tend to hang-out). We used to be a T1 server but now I don't see us get past t5.

For PvE I started my own hardcore guild (we were up to 50ish members) a little time before guild missions etc. were announced. The guild was focused around two things: 1. be a hard-core player and 2. no need to represent(but whenever we did stuff together most ppl repped anyway). Sadly due to guild missions everyone was sort of forced to treat the guild step-motherly since in order to stay with "current" gear we had to do all this stuff with other guilds which meant less time for actually being hard-core. The sad part is that the game is so accessible/noob friendly that a lot of HC friends of mine already quit.

In theory you can say "just transfer to another server". Sadly this isn't the case. My bank-guild won't transfer with me, which means I either have to sell everything (I don't want to) or "buy" all the influence I need on another realm (not gonna happen).

TLDR: It's played a lot but it really depends on what server you end up.
    Youre playing on Desolation? :P

Yup. Although playing is a big word. I do my pvp-daily and log off again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
    someone told me that GW2 isn't played a lot anymore, but how popular is it really? On high pop servers, how many people can you expect to see during peak times? are they spread around the world or concentrated in cities and high level zones? is it easy to find a group? how can I find a guild? are there Dutch guilds as well?
    They are spread like all other mmos, you have lots of people in the low zones, a handful of people spread over the next 40 odd zones then yet more people in the better farming spots or recent update zones. Its not an unpopular game, you'll gnerally run in to a fair few people, but I have been in an overflow server once and once only, its hardly setting the world on fire.

It has a pretty settled population but I do see new players coming in.

I don't think there is a game that is setting the world on fire, the only times that happens is when a new game releases or an expansion gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    or an expansion gets released.
    Which they really need to start looking at seriously. In the world of new releases expansions are needed to keep a game popular.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Which they really need to start looking at seriously. In the world of new releases expansions are needed to keep a game popular.
    THIS THIS THIS I play very casually and have 100% map, almost all the 5mans done, and 3 80s geared how I want them. I like the small patches but its time for more.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    According to XFire and Raptr GW2 is still the second most played MMO after WoW, so yes it is still very popular.
    And it still is curious that a game without subscriptions is outplayed by one that needs 180 dollars per year to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    And it still is curious that a game without subscriptions is outplayed by one that needs 180 dollars per year to be played.
    What is more curious is that it is twice as popular than Diablo III that supposedly gets a million people playing it daily. I guess people are still playing the hell out of it. Great job Arena Net!