Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

Arrow The Science Delusion

If you have studied any area of science on your own or in school, you may have noticed or have come across the fact that there are many differing beliefs in the scientific world. While this statement seems impossible given that science is supposed to be based on evidence which produces theory, it is a delusion not to realize that much of what is strictly believed in the scientific world is only believed due to the common acceptance that is put into mainstream ideas — much like what takes place within religion. That is not to say that there aren’t amazing scientists out there coming up with profound findings and adding powerful contributions to all fields, it’s to bring light to the fact that in a mainstream sense one could say science is “stuck” or more accurately put, we have put a freeze on certain areas of science.

“How can science be stuck? You are missing the point of science! Science is not a thing its a method!” While I totally agree that science is a method, many of the theories we have come to believe that science has produced have been scientifically proven to be incorrect yet we continue to go along with them. The reason this happens is because in many cases we are no longer using the scientific method as it is meant to be used. The stage in the method where we are supposed to go back and a re-develop a hypothesis after evidence proves the the initial theory wrong, we instead get stuck in maintaining our belief because of the money, fear, ego and pride that get in the way.

I have been researching many areas of science, world events, health etc. over the past years. I did not learn all of what I know in school but through my own research. Very often we can get stuck on the idea that what we have learned in school is absolute. It’s prestigious, it can’t be wrong. Heck, we paid thousands of dollars for it so it MUST be true. Yet the more I look at the people who are making scientific discoveries in the world the more I see educated people becoming livid about the fact that these new findings must not be true. It simply can’t be. I have heard the statement “It’s pseudo-science” just about anytime a belief is challenged. A new finding requires many peer reviews for it to be taken seriously, but pre-existing mainstream beliefs require none and can be written on a cereal box yet it’s still absolute fact. We have a major challenge on our hands in that we have a very hard time keeping our emotions out of how we view and perceive our world. This is not our nature, but simply our ego’s taking hold of the situation.

Rupert Sheldrake outlines 10 dogmas he has found to exist within mainstream science today. He states that when you look at each of these scientifically, you see that they are not actually true.

1. Nature is mechanical or machine like
    2. All matter is unconscious
    3. The laws or constants of nature are fixed
    4. The total amount of matter and energy is always the same
    5. Nature is purposeless
    6. Biological heredity is material
    7. Memories are stored inside your brain
    8. Your mind is inside your head
    9. Psychic phenomena like telepathy is not possible
    10. Mechanistic medicine is the only kind that works

For those interested in researching more deeply into this topic you can check out these videos they will help you see the point this thread is trying to make:

What is proof & where is it?

What is Consciousness?

Indepth:

Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-06-21 at 06:41 AM.

Science is the best system we have. If anyone wants to challenge the 'dogmas' of science, they are welcome to -- all of science is built around criticism and skepticism.

On a side note, I'm not sure how I feel about the talk being censored. I disagree with what he has to say, but at least it encourages critical thinking.

Deleted
    He sounds like Kent Hovind. He asks a bunch of questions and then answers to them like a religious fundie.

Someone take him off the stage.

Hearing him compare human law with the law of gravity was painfull.
    Just because they are both called laws doesn't mean you should make a connection.

"The rock is a citizen" might be a charming little joke, but that's all it is.

Many scientists like to think that science already understands the ways of the natural world. The fundamental questions are answered, leaving only the details to be filled in. The impressive achievements of science seemed to support this confident attitude. But recent research has revealed unexpected problems at the heart of physics, cosmology, biology, medicine and psychology.

Dr. Sheldrake is a biologist and author of more than 80 scientific papers and 10 books, including Science Set Free (September 2012).
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-06-21 at 06:46 AM.

Cue the X-Files theme.

The truth is out there, dude...

Deleted
    Rupert Sheldrake. Lol, 'nuff said. What crackpot.

No, this isn't going to be more constructive. This crap simply isn't worth it.

Just watched the video. I am a scientist, and certainly I do not agree with most of his theories. But he certainly has a point that good science has the obligation to keep challenging its assumptions, all of them, instead of letting them become dogma. Pleading for good science is something I can certainly get behind.

So yes, I think it's completely wrong to censor this man, and I would be eager for his assumptions and theories to be considered and tested, to challenge our world view. Do I think any of it will debunk current scientific consensus? No. But as a scientist, I have to acknowledge that it might. And if so; good. Science is the quest for truth, and questioning everything should always remain a constant. It's what separates science from a belief system.

(That's all my points. But as an added note, I can't resist refuting his claim that images aren't in the mind, as science has recently been able to detect neurons being activated only when recognising specific individuals that the brain has linked them to. An image of someone you know, does in fact exist within your brain )

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    Hearing him compare human law with the law of gravity was painfull.
    Just because they are both called laws doesn't mean you should make a connection.

"The rock is a citizen" might be a charming little joke, but that's all it is.
    Next up: "How the banana was formed perfectly for the human hand and how science is wrong"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyman007 View Post
    Yet another TED talk banned by the TED community due to the challenge it poses to mainstream science. The talk was done at a TEDx conference and aired on the TEDx YouTube channel for a period of time before it was removed due to its content.
    I doubt it was banned because it posed a challenge or a question, scientists love that shit. That's how progress is made. It was more likely banned due to not being a discussion and more of preach. Refer to the below, it is likely one of these. Scientists do discussion, otherwise, get the fuck out.

http://api.ning.com/files/bM1pkdMsPu...eFlowChart.jpg
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    The talk isn't "banned," it's on the Ted website.

http://blog.ted.com/2013/03/19/the-d...eldrakes-talk/

Seems like what hes claiming just isn't true. Science is questioning long held beliefs. It's never satisfied.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    What the fuck do people mean by banned? "We’re not censoring the talks. Instead we’re placing them here, where they can be framed to highlight both their provocative ideas and the factual problems with their arguments." - http://blog.ted.com/2013/03/14/open-...ert-sheldrake/

I don't understand the point of the whole talk. Science works, end of discussion.

Sheldrake is the same guy who conjured a theory on how we can feel it when people are looking at us. The guy is kind of loony.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    I can see why they call you crazy man (007)

This is the guy who came up with the theory that memories are passed on genetically from generation to generation isn't it? Which, when put through the rigours of testing came out to (right now) appear to be disproved but then STILL believed it? Funny stuff that he's preaching about dogmatism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy tits, I did my original post not watching the video... now I've googled this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Sheldrake

He is known for " his research into parapsychology."

Parapsychology.

Parapsychology.

Bullshit

A parapsychologist talking about science? That'll be about as correct as the earth is flat or the moon is made of cheese.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been saying something like this for awhile and even gotten into debates on this very forum about it....I for one liken it to religion..Everyone cherry picks there favorite parts and sticks to it...Also alot of people become dogmatic in similar ways to even how religious zealots do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorim View Post
    This is the guy who came up with the theory that memories are passed on genetically from generation to generation isn't it? Which, when put through the rigours of testing came out to (right now) appear to be disproved but then STILL believed it? Funny stuff that he's preaching about dogmatism.
    If memories aren't passed on genetically from generation to generation then explain the Rachnii Queen.

You cant explain that!

Atheists: 0
    Rachnii: 1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorim View Post
    Actuallllly i COULD see him being right but i'd suspect they'd be HEAVILY latent and almost impossible to access....Also don;t forget people like Carl Jungs mass unconscious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always considered science to be working on the assumption that those 10 dogmas are true, and working from there. I've never seen scientific teachings as making me believe that they are absolute and never changing, only that you must work on the assumption these are true. Science at its heart is about discovering how everything works and continually questioning these things we now assume are true by further increasing our understanding by working from those assumptions, and seeing if the results reflect what we believe to be the case or not, then ammending what we consider to be true based on the results.

Those 10 dogmas he's listed are a bit science and a bit philosophical in nature. He's not so much discussing science as he is discussing religion or philosophy.

The fact the title of the video has "BANNED" in caps suggests what type of audience they are hoping to hook in with that video title alone. It's like he's attacking scientific beliefs purely because he believes they are all wrong. Fair enough, but you'll have to come up with something that disproves all the evidence gathered that suggests the current held beliefs are what is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    If memories aren't passed on genetically from generation to generation then explain the Rachnii Queen.

You cant explain that!

Atheists: 0
    Rachnii: 1
    Don't forget the Goa'uld! KREE JAFFA!!
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-06-09 at 03:47 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!