View Poll Results: Do you agree with Snowden's Asylum in Russia?

Voters
96. This poll is closed
  • Agree

68 70.83%
  • No not agree

13 13.54%
  • Don't know

3 3.13%
  • Don't care

12 12.50%
Page 1 of 107
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Edward Snowden identified as source of NSA leaks

via Washington Post

Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former undercover CIA employee, unmasked himself Sunday as the principal source of recent Washington Post and Guardian disclosures about top-secret National Security Agency programs. Snowden, who has contracted for the NSA and works for the consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton, denounced what he described as systematic surveillance of innocent citizens and said in an interview that “it’s important to send a message to government that people will not be intimidated.”

Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper Jr. said Saturday that the NSA had initiated a Justice Department investigation into who leaked the information — an investigation supported by intelligence officials in Congress. Snowden, whose full name is Edward Joseph Snowden, said he understands the risks of disclosing the information but felt it was important to do. “I intend to ask for asylum from any countries that believe in free speech and oppose the victimization of global privacy,” Snowden told The Post from Hong Kong, where he has been staying. The Guardian was the first to publicly identify Snowden. Both media organizations made his name public with his consent.

“I’m not going to hide,” Snowden said Sunday afternoon. “Allowing the U.S. government to intimidate its people with threats of retaliation for revealing wrongdoing is contrary to the public interest.”

Asked whether he believed his disclosures would change anything, he said: “I think they already have. Everyone everywhere now understands how bad things have gotten — and they’re talking about it. They have the power to decide for themselves whether they are willing to sacrifice their privacy to the surveillance state.” Snowden said nobody was aware of his actions, including those closest to him. He said there wasn’t a single event that spurred his decision to leak the information.

It was more of a slow realization that presidents could openly lie to secure the office and then break public promises without consequence,” he said.
    Snowden said President Obama hasn’t lived up to his pledges of transparency. He blamed a lack of accountability in the Bush administration for continued abuses
    . The White House could not immediately be reached for comment Sunday afternoon.

“It set an example that when powerful figures are suspected of wrongdoing, releasing them from the accountability of law is ‘for our own good,’” Snowden said. “That’s corrosive to the basic fairness of society.
    ” Snowden also expressed hope that the NSA surveillance programs would now be open to legal challenge for the first time. Earlier this year, in Amnesty International v. Clapper, the Supreme Court dismissed a lawsuit against the mass collection of phone records because the plaintiffs could not prove exactly what the program did or that they were personally subject to surveillance.“The government can’t reasonably assert the state secrets privilege for a program it has acknowledged. The courts can now allow challenges to be heard on that basis,” Snowden said.

The guy is a true patriot. He should be supported.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

He's seeking asylum in a foreign country instead of facing the consequences of his actions he says he strongly believed in. Sounds like a coward to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalis View Post
    He's seeking asylum in a foreign country instead of facing the consequences of his actions he says he strongly believed in. Sounds like a coward to me.
    If he's caught by our law enforcement, he'll be in prison for the rest of his life. Bravado will get ya 4 walls. What would you do?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any society that would give up liberty to gain security will deserve neither and lose both. - Benjamin Franklin

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck him. He's a punk pretending to be a highly principled protector of global freedom. In fact, he will be enjoying the notoriety and money that will be coming his way. Don't defend me douch,, I am allll good with what the NSA is doing.
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-06-09 at 11:12 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    If he's caught by our law enforcement, he'll be in prison for the rest of his life. Bravado will get ya 4 walls. What would you do?
    This guy violated top secret clearance to "leak" what local law enforcement already buys from almost all major wireless carriers without a warrant, and has been reported on for years.

This is me caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymitylol View Post
    Any society that would give up liberty to gain security will deserve neither and lose both. - Benjamin Franklin
    Then why have government at all? Oh that's right, security from the lawless anarchy.

In this case, he is either being misquoted, or Ben Franklin was being a fucking idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    This guy violated top secret clearance to "leak" what local law enforcement already buys from almost all major wireless carriers without a warrant, and has been reported on for years.

This is me caring.

Then why have government at all? Oh that's right, security from the lawless anarchy.

In this case, he is either being misquoted, or Ben Franklin was being a fucking idiot.
    or maybe you just dont understand the meaning of the quote, so your idiot is out and dangling all over the thread? People don't give a fuck about things like this until it affects them.

Oh a police officer is brutalizing someone? Don't care. They're doing it to me? HELP ME PLEASE! /cries on deaf ears

Why people are so apathetic and ignorant that they'll not only not care but they'll help bring in laws and acts that violate our own rights as citizens, i will never understand.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymitylol View Post
    We always give up liberty for security, it's just a matter of degrees. They are called laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    or maybe you just dont understand the meaning of the quote, so your idiot is out and dangling all over the thread? People don't give a fuck about things like this until it affects them.

Oh a police officer is brutalizing someone? Don't care. They're doing it to me? HELP ME PLEASE! /cries on deaf ears

Why people are so apathetic and ignorant that they'll not only not care but they'll help bring in laws and acts that violate our own rights as citizens, i will never understand.
    I don't see how you're better then him. You're acting immature.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted

This is me caring.

I think you're the idiot. (using your words)

Infracted - please do not insult other posters
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-06-09 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

This is me caring.

Neoconservatism runs deep I see. Not sure if gullible, malicious, or both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Neoconservatism runs deep I see. Not sure if gullible, malicious, or both.

I think he's implying that someone misquoted Ben Franklin. Look we all know the Government hasn't been perfect for the past years or so but what this guy did wasn't wise either.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Not really. There are many organizations on this earth what want to kill you and as many westerners as possible. Not being hyperbolic,, they are there and want to do as much damage possible. I am happy the NSA exists and are doing what they are doing.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account

He'll probably care when a President he doesnt like has this power. If not, at least he can be principled in his absurdity.

10+ Year Old Account
    He'll probably care when a President he doesnt like has this power. If not, at least he can be principled in his absurdity.
    Nah, probably think you're making this too much then it seems. This accomplished little. This guy's life is literally over him.

Warrior-Magi

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now the real question is,,,, How will Issa tie Snowden to Obama.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Nah, probably think you're making this too much then it seems. This accomplished little. This guy's life is literally over him.
    You're probably right in that his life is over, but he didn't accomplish little. He renewed a debate, and got people to rethink their position on the issue. I've already written my congresswoman and senators, just like I did 6 years ago when I wasn't even an adult. Whether or not you think this accomplished nothing is irrelevant to the renewed debate that we're having right now thanks to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    i.e. He gave up his life when local police can get the very same records the NSA was getting, and has been reported for years.

He isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the tree.

http://www.aclu.org/protecting-civil...ecords-request

10+ Year Old Account
    You're probably right in that his life is over, but he didn't accomplish little. He renewed a debate, and got people to rethink their position on the issue. I've already written my congresswoman and senators, just like I did 6 years ago when I wasn't even an adult. Whether or not you think this accomplished nothing is irrelevant to the renewed debate that we're having right now thanks to him.
    Or he could of done something else instead of this stupid idea that happened. Sorry but as much as I think rights being infringed on are bad. This was just as bad.

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kunah View Post
    Not really. There are many organizations on this earth what want to kill you and as many westerners as possible. Not being hyperbolic,, they are there and want to do as much damage possible. I am happy the NSA exists and are doing what they are doing.
    Is that you Joe? I thought you died a long time ago.