Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    LFG not being limited to servers removes all player constraints to act like a decent person as he won't be alienating himself on his server, contributing to toxic community.

LFR would be OK if it had blues for loot or no loot at all. Otherwise it's toxic as it forces every player to use it weekly to stay competitive, (even if they don't enjoy it), games should be fun, LFR isn't.

The community is gone, because of things blizzard has done to the game, they are absolutely at fault because they are the ones that have implemented systems such as LFG that give players constant anonymity and require no social effort. OF COURSE that affects the community in a bad way, by simply smothering it in its crib.

It's still an MMO, but not a good one. However, I would no longer call it an MMORPG.
    LFR is meant for those with time commitment issues.
    It is not simply some lesser raid.

Organised raids are hurting the MMO part more than anything else, since the requirements for those are actively shutting out lots of people who are otherwise forced into LFR.
    In LFR, LFD and scenarios we are seeing and interacting with a way larger part of the community than guild groups are.

WoW is, and has always been, and MMO. The definition of MMO makes it impossible to come to any other conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    as per the definition of MMO, yes World of Warcraft and its many expansions IS a MMO!

doesn't matter how many if's or buts, the definition of the word remains.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    That's what makes it an mmo?In dota2 there are millions of players online,does that make it an mmo?Same with call of duty,hundred thousands online in xbox live playing the game,does that make it an mmo?
    Because you can't do everything solo it is an mmo.So is poker an mmo?

I don't see how any of these make WoW more special then any other kind of multiplayer game.
    Tell me how those thousands are playing in the same game. Dota is 5v5, not so massive, eh? Call of Duty is somewhat around 1vs1 to 15vs15 or something.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me wow stopped being an MMO when I no longer had to keep a running relation with other raiders and crafters to help procure items to craft weapons and armor. The reliance upon other members of your sever community does not exist anymore.

There is no longer a need to keep a good running reputation with healers and tanks on your server to form groups. How they thought LFG would fix this is beyond me, I never spent more than 10min. or so forming a group but now queing as a DPS I can sit in LFG across a whole server collective for 40min +.

Guilds in the raiding scene are no longer helpful or firendly, I feel more like I chose a side in a war becuse it seems every progression guild crap talks each other instead of helping the community.

All that aside though that is only my personal feelings towards wow as a game and things I see. It is still a MMO cause thats what it is classfied as for its genre of game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    M assive [x]
    M ultiplayer [x]
    O nline [x]

Yes, it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    I never spent more than 10min. or so forming a group but now queing as a DPS I can sit in LFG across a whole server collective for 40min +.
    Pro tip: You can still do this. Just more proof that people will incorrectly place the burden of their own decisions on a game system.

Edit: It's actually encouraged for you to do this with Heroic Scenarios, Challenge Modes, and now Flex raiding.
    BAD WOLF

Blizzard didn't kill the community with LFG and LFR the players did. These were tools that could have made the WoW community as a whole better, expanded it outside the limits of realms, instead most players decided it was a free pass to be a dick.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Pro tip: You can still do this. Just more proof that people will incorrectly place the burden of their own decisions on a game system.

Edit: It's actually encouraged for you to do this with Heroic Scenarios, Challenge Modes, and now Flex raiding.
    Pro tip: When you try to form a group the old fashioned way people tell you to just que for LFG

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    I think MMOs stop being MMOs in the traditional sense when it starts to feel more like you're playing in parallel with other players, rather than actually playing together. The bulk of my interactions with other players started to feel that way after the various automated systems entrenched themselves into the game.
    I agree, I'm never one to be nostalgic but I feel that everyone is playing the same game I am, just not together.
    Caution: Very biased reply, I've been out of proper raiding for almost a year now, new son etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me wow stopped being an MMO when I no longer had to keep a running relation with other raiders and crafters to help procure items to craft weapons and armor. The reliance upon other members of your sever community does not exist anymore.
    this is on YOU though isn't it? You still had the choice to form relationships with others in the game. Just that i'm guessing you went the easy way out, just like everyone else did. The choice was still there however and doesn't make it less of an mmo.

There is no longer a need to keep a good running reputation with healers and tanks on your server to form groups. How they thought LFG would fix this is beyond me, I never spent more than 10min. or so forming a group but now queing as a DPS I can sit in LFG across a whole server collective for 40min +.
    LFD tool and LFR have helped many people get groups on low pop servers etc and has been invaluable in forming groups. This doesn't make it less of an MMO. you're still playing with other people.

Guilds in the raiding scene are no longer helpful or firendly, I feel more like I chose a side in a war becuse it seems every progression guild crap talks each other instead of helping the community.
    Guilds have always been pricks to each other. it's human nature. the fact that this relationship exists between guild communities sort of reinforces that it IS an MMO.

we do not need a redefinition or a new category to put wow in. it is an mmo plain and simple.
    Hi

Pro tip: When you try to form a group the old fashioned way people tell you to just que for LFG
    And that is a community problem.
    Before LFR and before LFD we had gearscore and similar addons where someone would take a number on a tooltip, and choose not to interact with the community.

If the MMO is defined by the need to interact with players outside of a small group, then guilds or friend groups have killed that.

WoW is a solo game until you hit 90. Then it becomes an actual MMO where you need to work with others in order to progress. They need to fix that. Should be an MMO from the moment you log in.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) Does not contradict what I said.
    2) Make friends.
    3) Join a Guild.
    4) Profit from increased enjoyment, increased efficiency, same level of rewards, no wait.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this mostly happened when Blizzard decided to make the game less about having a big, epic adventure and being a part of a virtual world, and more about just a big sprint to max level and gear gear gear gear gear. That really sucked the magic out of things and people got really selfish, thinking only of "what gear do I get for doing this? gear gear gear gear gear..." instead of "Hey it would be really cool to go do x thing and explore y place and check out z feature..."

Deleted
    m: massive = does it still have 8 million players? yes, it does
    m: multiplayer = do you still play with other players? yes, you do
    o: online = do you still have to be online to play? yes, you do
    rp: roleplaying = do you still have a role, i.e. tank/healer/dps? yes, you do (this is blizzard's interpretation of the term "role", its different from D&D or traditional RP games)
    g: game = other than some hardcores treating it like work, is it still a game? yes, it is.
    Last edited by mmoca014cf7a55; 2013-06-10 at 04:10 PM.

Is this real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    WoW is a solo game until you hit 90. Then it becomes an actual MMO where you need to work with others in order to progress. They need to fix that. Should be an MMO from the moment you log in.
    What needs to be fixed? If you want to do things "solo", you can, if you want to do things with an arranged group, you can. Blizzard gives the community options, but then the community complains about the option the majority choose.

Last night I logged in at 3am server time on my level 62 Shaman, did a LFG as DPS (maybe 10min wait), leveled and logged off.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    What needs to be fixed? If you want to do things "solo", you can, if you want to do things with an arranged group, you can. Blizzard gives the community options, but then the community complains about the option the majority choose.

Last night I logged in at 3am server time on my level 62 Shaman, did a LFG as DPS (maybe 10min wait), leveled and logged off.
    The game is so obviously geared towards soloing when it comes to leveling its hilarious. If you cant see it something is wrong.

To answer your question, yes it is still an MMO.