[Guardian] Solo tanking Iron Qon HC

Hello all!

So my guild has decided that I'll be solo tanking Iron Qon next week (or the week after that), mainly because my DPS is much higher than our warrior tanks' and my newly gained boomkin spec has no gear to speak of, and I wonder if anyone here has any experience in doing it this way?

I'm mainly curious about gearing strategies, talent choices and general tips and tricks.

Also a couple questions I have:

At how many stacks of impale do people usually bop at? We will most likely have two paladins at our disposal.
    Which legendary gem would be the better choice? Currently I'm running with the DPS one, with the tanking one sitting in a different helmet.

Thanks in advance!

Bopping off stacks is always limited by the same factor - it putting you under Forbearance for 1 minute, preventing another Hand of Protection from being cast on you until it's gone.

So basically have both paladins spec for the Clemency talent (twice as many Hand of Protections casts), then remove stacks basically on cooldown, whenever Forbearance lets you.

reset ervery 4th stack or if your healers can do it after each phase.

You dont have to 1 tanks it. We found it to be alot easier using 2 tanks. And specc NC plus berserk on that fight for dog phase

Just as an outsider looking in, is a guardian able to actually take the stacks up as high as other tanks? ie our warrior tank takes Impale stacks up to 7 or 8 then clears. Is a bear druid even capable of doing that. I guess if he is stam stacking? or does impale act as physical dmg and affected by our mastery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
    Or let me guess, you're a full Glad since S1 and got every server first since release, and in your free time you sleep with super models on a bed of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    You dont have to 1 tanks it. We found it to be alot easier using 2 tanks. And specc NC plus berserk on that fight for dog phase
    Yeah I suggested that to them several times, but they don't think it's a good idea :/

Yes druids can take the same amount as any other tank, pala can take a bit more infact druids can selfheal more than warrior so in theory you can take more.

Bleed dmg would be physical but bleed dmg ignores armor. and impale is fire i believe.

In 10m we found it to be alot easier with two tanks. The overall raiddps stays about the same but the tankhealing needed goes down significantly. Also tanks do alot of dmg on the last phase plus druids monks and pala also heal the raid alot while dogs are active. even if you are two tanking, and with impale both tanks keep high vengeance the whole fight, and you could use 2 healers if you ahve trouble with enrage or dps.

From my experience 2 tanking is a bit easier and smoother. Doesnt matter which tanks you have.

As others have said, in the earlier phases of the fight you can pretty much clear stacks at the end of each phase. There isn't really much tank damage at all.

You will need to time a clear around the 3rd or 4th fist smash though. Make sure your healers are aware of that.

Cheers all for the responses! Hoplefully we'll get a new kill soon ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    Bleed dmg would be physical but bleed dmg ignores armor. and impale is fire i believe.
    AFAIK bleed damage, as with other physical damage, does not ignore armor unless specified.

And Impale is physical damage. Guardian mastery should reduce Impale damage.

does not ignore armor unless specified.
    It's hit and miss. Stone Guard definitely ignores armor, whereas Impale doesn't appear to be reduced by anything: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ty...22Bear+Form%22

Same amount of damage before and after shifting out of Bear form means it's not affected by Thick Hide or Armor. Since it is affected by various damage reduction cooldowns this is really weird. Irrelevant, but weird.

All bleed damage ignores armor by definition. There shouldn't be any exceptions to this.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    All bleed damage ignores armor by definition. There shouldn't be any exceptions to this.
    Thrash from Cataclysm says hi.

I did say "shouldn't" for a reason.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

If you are using a warrior dps, then using Safeguard/Intervene to reset the stacks works too.

Yes, Impale counts as a melee attack, and if you time it correctly, (with timers its easy, just Safeguard/Intervene at <1sec left after a autoswing) the warrior will get one stack Impale, which barely hurts, and yours will reset. Might sound sketchy and prob aint thrown around that much as people most likely dont know about it, however it would remove the slim chance of HoP resulting in someone taking a melee swing/boss moving and so forth. And you can always have it as a backup incase your warrior messes it up.

On my main I solotank it with ease due to being a paladin, but on my alt druid while we could do the same thing there with our ret/holy paladins we've opted for the Intervene thing as the offtank warrior who goes dps finds it hilarious when he manages to steal the Impales (Which he can do without fail now)

Just my 2cents

Smoke Bomb has also worked in the past for us to remove stacks, Impale comes every ~20s, which makes it pretty easy to time, especially in frost phase.
    Not the most helpful, and since we have 0 pallies now we just 2-tank it and never reset with it anymore, but it worked for us trying with just 1 pally.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    It's hit and miss. Stone Guard definitely ignores armor, whereas Impale doesn't appear to be reduced by anything: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ty...22Bear+Form%22

Same amount of damage before and after shifting out of Bear form means it's not affected by Thick Hide or Armor. Since it is affected by various damage reduction cooldowns this is really weird. Irrelevant, but weird.
    Thick Hide reduces it, you just get thick hide regardless of being in bear form. The only part of Thick Hide that requires bear form is the armor increase.

And just look at how much damage that "40k damage per second" bleed on Durumu does, bleeds+armor don't make much sense .