Deleted

Tanks and the recent changes to passive mitigations.

Hey again, please excuse my English, I know it isn't the best but I'll try to do as good as possible.

So, recently, there's been a few changes about passive reductions for various classes. When asked about all this, Lore answered;
    To give some insight as to where we're headed, we wanted to chill out on some of the passive damage reduction in favor of moving to more active sources of mitigation. It just doesn't feel very good to have certain players in your raid (for example) who always take more damage from the big hits than others, even though neither player is doing anything special. We'd rather the players themselves be more in control. (Source)
    I'm perfectly fine with this and I find these changes quite legitimate and logical for PvE (probably less for PvP, but let's not go there for the moment*). Something is actually bugging me a lot though. When I compare the various passive damage reductions tanks get, I notice major differences in terms of numbers. Let me explain a bit.

- Druids get a 25% reduction to magical damage from Thick Hide.
    - Monks get a 25% reduction to all damage from Stance of the Sturdy Ox.
    - Warriors get a 25% reduction to all damage from Defensive Stance.
    - Paladins get a 15% reduction to all damage from Sanctuary.
    - Death Knights get a 10% reduction to all damage from Blood Presence.

Now, you're going to argue that we have to take active mitigation, armor, self-healing potential and whatnot into consideration and you'd be completely right. Except it creates discrepancies with magic damage taken, which you can not always mitigate actively. (Well, some classes can.) Take, say, Megaera. A Death Knight is going to take a lot more unmitigated damage from rampage than a druid or a warrior.
    Let's note that it might also cause issues with mechanics that reduces armor (sunder armor, for example), or completely ignores it since the only thing left for mitigation in these cases are passive damage reductions.

I think all tanks are overall pretty much fine the way they are when it comes to mitigating damage, but I don't understand why they would make so many changes about passive damage reductions because of how some classes are taking less damage than other passively, and leave tanks untouched while this precise problem is affecting them. All it would take is to nerf a bit of armor, or something, and buff the damage reductions to make it equal. Maybe the opposite ?

I also know PTR has only begun but it's been like this since Cataclysm, so yeah.

What do you guys think ?

*Note : I'm leaving PvP aside on purpose, because I'm mainly concerned about tanks in a PvE situation. Lore also said that;
    For those concerned about the impact this will have in PvP, there are plenty of other ways we can balance things out that do not carry over into the other parts of the game. Resilience is an obvious example, but there's plenty of knobs that can be tweaked to make that feel right.
    Last edited by mmoc63d91da705; 2013-06-14 at 10:17 PM.