Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If Nintendo trotted out a next gen system in 2015 it would be an even bigger disaster for them then the Wii U.

Who is going to want to buy a console of a company that will get negative press out the rear for only supporting a console for 2-3 years and dumping it?

Nintendo needs to support what they have on the market. All of their major IPs will likely reach 3+ mil sells with their releases on the Wii U still which are all very profitable, some may reach the 6-8 mil range later on. Their changes need to come with better planning to avoid the situation happening again, rushing a new console out the door isn't going to do anything but get them negative press and alienate their core fans.
    Considering there is very little vested interest on the part of the consumer, a new system isn't really that bad of an idea. Also considering it's not like there are 50 million units in homes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Considering there is very little vested interest on the part of the consumer, a new system isn't really that bad of an idea. Also considering it's not like there are 50 million units in homes right now.
    Actually, it's not a great idea right now. Nintendo has spent a ton on the Wii U in terms of R&D and production, and spending a ton more this early on a new system wouldn't be the best decision. Trying to salvage the Wii U is the better decision at the moment.

Except the people that actually own a Wii U right now are their core fan base, go ahead and alienate them and you better hope you have the next Wii fad on your hands or it won't end well for Nintendo.

The Gamecube only sold 21 million units. It ended up being profitable for Nintendo in the end, because their IPs sold well on it. It's not unfathomable that the Wii U ends up in a similar situation. Should they have abandoned the Gamecube too early on?

Sounds like you are the CEO of Sega in the late 90s, you would kill Nintendo faster then a bullet to Miyamoto's head.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except the people that actually own a Wii U right now are their core fan base, go ahead and alienate them and you better hope you have the next Wii fad on your hands or it won't end well for Nintendo.

The Gamecube only sold 21 million units. It ended up being profitable for Nintendo in the end, because their IPs sold well on it. It's not unfathomable that the Wii U ends up in a similar situation. Should they have abandoned the Gamecube too early on?

Sounds like you are the CEO of Sega in the late 90s, you would kill Nintendo faster then a bullet to Miyamoto's head.
    wasn't the gamecube on par with other console speaking graphical and processing power though? That could play a major role for the WiiU.
    While the Wii did very well though underpower compared to the competition, i feel it was the motion control that carry it. Can the tablet gamepad gimmick carry the WiiU?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Other than low console sales for the Wii U, what are their broader mistakes as a gaming company?

Both their last-gen consoles (DS/Wii) sold very well, and had strong software sales. And their current handheld console is still doing well both in terms of hardware and software sales.
    terrible marketing. Its just been awful recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    wasn't the gamecube on par with other console speaking graphical and processing power though? That could play a major role for the WiiU.
    While the Wii did very well though underpower compared to the competition, i feel it was the motion control that carry it. Can the tablet gamepad gimmick carry the WiiU?
    If graphical power mattered in the 6th gen, the Xbox would have destroyed everything. The Xbox was further ahead of both the gamecube and ps2 graphically then the One and PS4 are ahead of the Wii U. The PS2 and Gamecube didn't even have Shaders, the xbox was basically a full gen ahead of them. Not like graphical parity matters anyways since no one buys multiplatforms on Nintendo consoles. Look at those sales of multiplats on the gamecube. Terrible. Not sure where your logic is coming from.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Am I the only one who wishes Nintendo would just give up on making bullshit systems and just port their IPs to Xbox and Playstation? I'll give them some credit, they definitely found a way to stay alive with Wii when their hardware was far behind Sony and Microsoft. But the Wii U... just sucks. Ever since the Gamecube I haven't bought a Nintendo system - they just don't get a great assortment of games.

I want Zelda, Mario and DK on my Xbox One/PS4.

Sorry, just hate every time I read about a new Zelda game coming out and know I won't be playing it because I'd have to essentially pay $300 for the system and the game.
    Congratulations you self-entitled brat that has got to be the dumbest thread I have read in the past two years, and Im very frequent on MMO-C.

What OP wants wont happen any time soon, so he better go cry some more to his parents until they give in and buy him a Wii U.

My god the things you read some days on here...

You can address someone's post that you dislike without resorting to insults or name-calling.
    Last edited by Sj; 2014-05-13 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    Which is significant factor in the poor sales of the wii U itself. All the people I know that are more or less casual gamers, have either never heard of it, or they think it's a touchpad-controller for the wii. They should have called it Wii2 and focused on displaying the console itself along with the wiipad, IMO.

3DS has no marketing here either, but there are more or less no alternatives, so they don't need to. Vita is non-existing here, I have never seen one since the first generation.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukazor View Post
    I picked up the Wind Waker HD Wii U bundle back in December for £249, since then I've got Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, DKC, ZombiU, Lego Hobbit, Child of Light and Mario Kart 8 on pre-order - I don't regret a thing.

I find it kinda funny though about the Wii U lacking hardware, Mario 3D World looks as good as anything on PS4/XBONE and just look at Mario Kart 8. The hardware is more than capable as long as developers actually put the effort in and utilise it.
    Its only funny to you because you're deluded enough to believe what you just said.

- - - Updated - - -

If graphical power mattered in the 6th gen, the Xbox would have destroyed everything. The Xbox was further ahead of both the gamecube and ps2 graphically then the One and PS4 are ahead of the Wii U. The PS2 and Gamecube didn't even have Shaders, the xbox was basically a full gen ahead of them. Not like graphical parity matters anyways since no one buys multiplatforms on Nintendo consoles. Look at those sales of multiplats on the gamecube. Terrible. Not sure where your logic is coming from.
    A full gen? Not even close, what is this?
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-05-13 at 01:24 PM.

The Xbox was not a "full gen" ahead of the other two, it was just a bit stronger and closer to PC architecture. The GCN was similar to PS2 in power, both were solid systems (just a shame the GCN wasn't as supported by third parties). The Wii U is (if you can put a raw number on it) about 20% stronger than the 360 was (heck, it was even the first true 1080p system on the market!), but is still behind the PS4 and the XBONE. I would put the WiiU as basically an "in-between" generation where it is stronger than the strongest of the last gen, but weaker than the current generation.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    A huge factor why Wii U hasent sold well is.... There is no games, a console without games is sorta meaningless.
    When Mario Kart comes out, expect a pretty significant boom in sales.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I own a Wii U and have had it since launch. It sat in a box until Super Mario 3D World came out and once I finished it, it's been collecting dust ever since. I am in full support of scrapping what is turning out to be a bad idea in favor of something that actually gets next generation console games that I can't get on my computer. Why own something to play games when it is only getting a few really good titles a year and nothing else?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    The Xbox was not a "full gen" ahead of the other two, it was just a bit stronger and closer to PC architecture. The GCN was similar to PS2 in power, both were solid systems (just a shame the GCN wasn't as supported by third parties). The Wii U is (if you can put a raw number on it) about 20% stronger than the 360 was (heck, it was even the first true 1080p system on the market!), but is still behind the PS4 and the XBONE. I would put the WiiU as basically an "in-between" generation where it is stronger than the strongest of the last gen, but weaker than the current generation.
    The only advantage the Xbox had was that it was using a modified Intel Celeron processor which out paced the IBM processors in the PS2 and GC, however GPU wise the GC was the most powerful. The PS2 was the weakest system but had the most games because of the fact that it had a DVD player and was already out when the competition came to market. Had Nintendo opted for a DVD drive, the GC would have been a developers dream at that time. But they alienated devs by using the mini DVD with a capacity of 2GB, though Tales of Symphonia used 2 discs.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2014-05-13 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its only funny to you because you're deluded enough to believe what you just said.
    Not really, nothing on the PS4/XBONE looks outstanding. I'm sure it will over time but at the moment those consoles, especially the PS4 is just a nice looking paperweight.

My point is that in 10 years time SM3DW will still look great where as Infamous and Killzone etc will look bang average. Bright colourful stylised games stand the test of time, those that try to be realistic just don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukazor View Post
    Not really, nothing on the PS4/XBONE looks outstanding. I'm sure it will over time but at the moment those consoles, especially the PS4 is just a nice looking paperweight.

My point is that in 10 years time SM3DW will still look great where as Infamous and Killzone etc will look bang average. Bright colourful stylised games stand the test of time, those that try to be realistic just don't.
    Nothing looking outstanding right now (subjective) is a different point to the Wii U being capable of making ps4/xbone graphics, its just not. The second point I agree with. I can still play the original legend of zeldas on the nes, but give me the old tomb raider and I'll pass.

Terrible marketing for the Wii U. Their marketing and communications efforts on the 3DS are doing just fine. You can more or less trace all their current problems back to the Wii U, not their other ventures. That was my point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    A huge factor why Wii U hasent sold well is.... There is no games, a console without games is sorta meaningless.
    When Mario Kart comes out, expect a pretty significant boom in sales.
    why is the ps4 still selling then.. seriously does anyone still play on it who bought one at launch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider how many franchises they have abandoned over the years that they can't be bothered to make. People have been begging for a new F-Zero game, Star Fox is due for a new and good title, but they pump out Mario instead.
    Alright this is where I stop you and say no, just no. I'm a huge Star Fox fanboy but even I can see why they won't, it's really hard to freshen up that genre without people getting pissed off. If they were to make it, it would have to be more open world and then there's the issue of how risky it would be and resources. The arcade shooter genre isn't forgiving and to try and make another Star Fox game while adding more too it would most likely just end up in failure or average...

Stumbled across this http://www.dromble.com/2014/03/15/wh...-for-nintendo/

Pretty decent read.

The biggest and most important point it makes, the hardcore market it caters too just won't allow change. Look at JonTron, fucker just shat all over Star Fox Adventures (I still love you Jon, forever) and it's because it was different. Star Fox Assault comes along and it sells averagely and is a stellar game but it's short and people just don't care outside of the hardcore fanbase. It's sad but Star Fox is just a huge risk when it comes to developing a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Also everyone was saying the 3DS was doomed a few years back, look at it now. Same with the PS3, the Wii U isn't down yet everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

why is the ps4 still selling then.. seriously does anyone still play on it who bought one at launch?
    Well I can agree with the Mario Kart point he makes but the Wii U easily has more games than the PS4 that are "worth" playing.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Well I can agree with the Mario Kart point he makes but the Wii U easily has more games than the PS4 that are "worth" playing.
    I personally find the Wii U to have more interesting games than the Xbox One or PS4, but that doesn't mean that it really does have more games "worth" playing. There are a lot of folks who have no interest in Nintendo's first party games any longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starfox is also in a bad place because Command wasn't that well liked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Starfox is also in a bad place because Command wasn't that well liked.
    That game was meh I heard but the point I was trying to make is that it's really hard to add on to the Star Fox genre because the genre is hard to innovate without pissing every one and their mother off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I personally find the Wii U to have more interesting games than the Xbox One or PS4, but that doesn't mean that it really does have more games "worth" playing. There are a lot of folks who have no interest in Nintendo's first party games any longer.
    It's all opinion in the end my friend.
    Hey everyone