Page 43 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I haven't tested it out yet tbh
    I think I need to properly sim out all the different variables when I get a moment and progress has calmed down a little = )

I hate to be that know-nothing who wanders into the forum and asks an uninformed question... but:

Our guild's prot warrior is telling us it's not worth it for him to upgrade any of his gear from Heroic ToT gear to SoO gear unless it's a mastery increase. He turned down the the weapon off Seigecrafter Blackfuse because he'd lose 270 Mastery in losing the extra socket.

Is this as insane as it sounds to me or is this a completely legit gearing strat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skagasm View Post
    I hate to be that know-nothing who wanders into the forum and asks an uninformed question... but:

Our guild's prot warrior is telling us it's not worth it for him to upgrade any of his gear from Heroic ToT gear to SoO gear unless it's a mastery increase. He turned down the the weapon off Seigecrafter Blackfuse because he'd lose 270 Mastery in losing the extra socket.

Is this as insane as it sounds to me or is this a completely legit gearing strat?
    Insane is a big word, but it's not what I'd do atleast, it helps knowing if its 25 or 10 we're talking.

Especially in 10 man any prot warrior going for mastery over dodge/parry is simply beeing silly. As for the not upgrading gear thing, it depends on if he's VP capped, if he could get items from Flex in the next days etc etc etc.

I don't upgrade gear if I know I need the VP's to upgrade better gear within the next reset (and i'm capped). (Naturally all my gear is upgraded so it's a bit of a meh statement).

Your warrior generally wants to go for Hit >= Exp > Dodge/Parry, although there are some voices that say Crit should be taken into the mix I personally run with this priority and it works wonders for both DPS and DTPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Skagasm View Post

The bigger issue in my opinion is the fact that he is going mastery at all. The only reason he should be going mastery is if he is a heroic 25 tank and the boss damage is too high for a riposte build (probably not the case since the heroic 25 tanks have not encountered this yet even in the top world guilds).

Tell him to go avoidance and enjoy the 20-30% DPS increase aswell as higher survivability.

Thanks for the quick responses. Sorry for using the word "upgrade" -- I meant it in a more traditional sense as in going from one piece of gear to the other. He passed the weapon to our Ret paladin, who occasionally tanks, claiming that he'd never use it. 10-man raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    The bigger issue in my opinion is the fact that he is going mastery at all. The only reason he should be going mastery is if he is a heroic 25 tank and the boss damage is too high for a riposte build (probably not the case since the heroic 25 tanks have not encountered this yet even in the top world guilds).

Tell him to go avoidance and enjoy the 20-30% DPS increase aswell as higher survivability.
    I honestly think that there isn't a too high with the passive stamina you get off SoO gear tbh as that extra rage can just be dumped into a barrier after max block uptime

Practically full avoidance gems and a DPS trinket and 10 stacks of the debuff on Nuroshen wasn't too high, the video will be uploaded overnight (Praise rural British Internet) and will be in my sig's YouTube channel ^^

As for general gearing, I would highly advise avoidance gems / gear in 99% of cases and he should definitely have been taking that weapon for the stats. Having said that however our scaling from weapon damage is pretty godawful so it wont make much difference aside from just being a stat stick

- - - Updated - - -

Fun fact, tank cloaks do not work on hard-enrage abilities.
    http://i.imgur.com/ZtwWSTu.jpg

Confirmed

Ouch...

How many healers did you guys use for that Eddy?

We went from 6 to 5 and still were wiping at about 70 mil so I believe we are gonna 4 heal tomorrow.

So i understand, you gemming for Parry, Dodge or Parry/Stam or Dodge/Stam. Do you always choose one avoidance and push this one? or can you mix it? some dodge here, some parry there? or just go for 1?
    13/13

Monk

It doesnt really matter. The amount of avoidance you lose by not be "optimal" is very very little. I would say go as much parry as possible to benefit the revenge glyph.

I used dodge gems in yellow sockets parry in red and parry/stam in purple sockets with a good bonus.

just watched you vid. as you see in my sig i play a monk and funny thing is i don't feel like a REAL tank if i do not put in REAL tank stats. i go from crit-only to mastery/crit combination but still - there is a thing to warriors and i want to give my alt a try. just wanted to make sure i put in right gems.
    13/13

Monk

Using TMI as a measurement for smoothing, mastery is just slightly better per point than dodge/parry even at high levels of dodge/parry. But the smoothing of mastery doesn't make up for the overall lower dtps and increased dps from avoidance. Most importantly, dodge/parry is currently more fun to play.

And just keep your dodge rating (points not percent) as close to parry as possible if you want to maximize avoidance.

Deleted
    Was using the DPS cloak intermittently last night and noticed something, it appears that no aggro will generate during the proc. Has anyone else noticed this? It happened a few times on galakras packs they just ran off and so nearly face raped my healer.

Ohhhhh shit. Just realized we now have 2 Prot Warrior mods. TIME TO STRAIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!!!

Gratz guys. Bout time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    Was using the DPS cloak intermittently last night and noticed something, it appears that no aggro will generate during the proc. Has anyone else noticed this? It happened a few times on galakras packs they just ran off and so nearly face raped my healer.
    I haven't used the DPS cloak yet but it may be designed that way to avoid bad timing that may result in getting DPS 1-shot.

Try tweeting GC and asking him if it's intended.

Using the tanks in top world guilds as measuring sticks is not always the best option but this really is the beauty of the moment.

You have the top prot warriors in the world (based on guild ranking) going mastery and some going riposte.
    Then you have Slootbag saying he is focusing on a Crit/mastery.
    Then you have all (that I have seen) of the 25 Heroic tanks on these forums saying Riposte.

There is no wrong answer. It's just what works for you. I love the playstyle of Riposte and at the moment it isn't hurting my raid.

Ok i read all the new info to get omn par with my warrior. Keeping in mind that i won't be going HM anytime soon, and i'm going only FLEX or 10m normal at max, is it worth to switch from the old mastery build to an avoidanceone? As i understood, the damage taken is more or less the same (more RNG involved) and i can get a good dps increase.

also, AMR is suggesting me to go for orange full avoidance gems - but i see many go for full parry or full dodge. Any info? Armory is on sig.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    You will take less damage in the avoidance spec and you will have a lot more rage to play with. On top of that you will have A LOT of fun doing damage, prot warriors are finally in a really good place.

Now gem wise it doesn't matter too much. Generally speaking you want to keep a good ratio of parry and dodge to minimize the amount of DR you have, but none of these optimizations will change your crit as your total ratings will stay the same. You can use the follow gems however you want;

Stats
    Name
    Parry Flashing
    Dodge Subtle
    Parry + Dodge Stalwart
    Dodge + Expertise Resolute
    Dodge + Hit Nimble
    Parry + Hit Retaliating

If you have more mastery opt into taking the non hit/exp gems to ensure that you reforge out of your mastery. Otherwise use whichever gives you the highest stats (for socket bonuses etc.)

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
    -Clampy

We went from 6 to 5 and still were wiping at about 70 mil so I believe we are gonna 4 heal tomorrow.
    Not Eddy, but we used 4 and healing was absolutely fine. Only had 1 shadow priest too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Not Eddy, but we used 4 and healing was absolutely fine. Only had 1 shadow priest too.
    Ya we only wiped to enrage so I'm assuming going down to 4 healers will make for a 1-shot tonight.

Deleted
    Ouch...

Yeah we just went with 5