To kill the add you have to be very lucky or use DPS CDs (which feel a bit wasted down there) - so I would plan to simply survive the whole phase.

I personally never had a problem surviving, handling the abilities properly should get his HP down to about 40% in the worst case:

x) Avoid the cone attack
    x) Interrupt the... interruptable... attack ("Hurl XY")
    x) Have barriers up for the two other casts (one of them even is reflectable, but I never bothered with that)
    x) If something goes wrong - Last Stand + Enraged Regen

Deleted
    Tell your warrior to circle-strafe the opponent. You should do this most of the time unless you need to keep a target static. That way if you are afflicted by a spell that uses point-in-time-targeting you can avoid it easily.

A good training are the elite melee adds near Ordos. If you can solo kill 10 of them you have mastered spell dodging.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-10-01 at 08:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tseng View Post
    To kill the add you have to be very lucky or use DPS CDs (which feel a bit wasted down there) - so I would plan to simply survive the whole phase.

I personally never had a problem surviving, handling the abilities properly should get his HP down to about 40% in the worst case:

x) Avoid the cone attack
    x) Interrupt the... interruptable... attack ("Hurl XY")
    x) Have barriers up for the two other casts (one of them even is reflectable, but I never bothered with that)
    x) If something goes wrong - Last Stand + Enraged Regen
    Reflecting is better than interrupting, the spell hits the mob back for ~1 million so I managed to kill it in 40 seconds on some occasions. Mass Reflect + Spell reflect does wonders. According to the Dungeon Journal (which might not be correct) the Piercing Corruption is not Absorbable, so block > barrier (if it can be blocked?).

Absorb obviously works for the other stuff, but on the 35 or so pulls we did on this boss i died once, did not have to use any defensive cooldowns on the Test part.

Yep Piercing Corruption can't be absorbed (idk about it being blockable) but SBar should still help against the dot that comes with it.

Deleted
    Sup, i had some "problems" with this bad boy too, this is a problem, and you need to solve a problem.
    ok so lets start like this:
    1. Titanic smash, cone attack - avoid it
    2. Hurl corruption, cast and you can interupt it or you can reflect it! - reflect first one, interupt second one, reflect third one and so on ( add dies)
    3. Burst of corruption, aoe 500k damage, with passive reduction 375k damage, absorb + demo shout, and second one absorb+ SW.
    4. Piercing corruption, unavoidable slash - i personaly block it and let it be, got mastery cap with 2p so w/e

Im using IV and use it as soon as i get to 70% life so i can use it again if add dont die. One more thing helped me that my co tank who is pally placed on me his hot flame somthing, so if you got hot'ers in raid comp do so too, and he must go in fully toped ;>

he can even take mass spell reflection to triple reflect Hurl of corruption and thats pretty much it for add he will die in like half of minet D:

Bad english but still i hope it will help ;>

Another thing you need to look out for is vengeance on that add since that reduces the time to kill it and increases SBar absorption.
    Make sure you always tank the boss until you hop in.
    Even though this may sound counter intuitive it may even be advantageous to take some of it's attacks to boost vengeance. (like using the cloak proc to soak one of the hurls or using a cd to eat the cleave)
    There isn't really anything that would stop you from using all cds in there to stay alive either since the boss outside isn't that big of a threat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Oh, surprised to hear that. Any particular reason?
    First of all very easy to get gear right now (Depending on how far behind you are)
    Secondly warriors have had a really nice buff in 5.4 which increases their damage substantially and increases their active mitigation
    Last but not least, warriors also take some of the least damage and (imo, but Blizzard doesn't seem to agree) some of the strongest active mitigation abilities.

You will have a lot of fun with your warrior, no doubt about that (as long as you enjoy tanking). The mobility, the damage, the cooldowns, the 'no empty GCD' rotation, the way that abilities interact with each other via procs etc - I love everything about the prot warrior playstyle.

Hover below for more information on the 5.4 changes;
    Riposte - Added to the game
    Enrage - added Deva and Shield Slam to trigger enrage
    Revenge - Increased rage + more CD resets (if you are avoidance build)
    Thunderclap - Increased damage via Blood and Thunder
    Deep Wounds - Damage increased by 65%
    Ultimatum - Now a really nice DPS gain if you have high crit.

Very good patch for warrior and a really nice catch-up added. Give it a try! You won't regret it.

Hey Eddy (and whoever can give a hand), as promised, a report from a regular 10m Thok kill, hopefully it can help.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=10320&e=10767

Any tips?

Here's the updated armory.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tiago/advanced

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tanked lfr yesterday on a prot warrior I just geared with mostly timeless gear (~503-505 ilvl with a dodge/parry build). I also have a 530 brewmaster (crit > haste >> mastery with a 2h). The warrior seemed to take a lot less damage, and my dps was only slightly lower than on my monk. I also felt I had more room to screw up because of all the cd's they have. The only problem I had was keeping aggro on all the adds in galakras, my monk picked up threat immediately and nobody could peel them from me. How exactly do warriors compare to other tanks this tier?
    Last edited by Illiterate; 2013-10-01 at 03:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    I tanked lfr yesterday on a prot warrior I just geared with mostly timeless gear (~503-505 ilvl with a dodge/parry build). I also have a 530 brewmaster (crit > haste >> mastery with a 2h). The warrior seemed to take a lot less damage, and my dps was only slightly lower than on my monk. I also felt I had more room to screw up because of all the cd's they have. The only problem I had was keeping aggro on all the adds in galakras, my monk picked up threat immediately and nobody could peel them from me. How exactly do warriors compare to other tanks this tier?
    I have no problem tanking adds on Galakras as they come all at the same time (Warriors Achilles heel is a constant stream of adds when TC is on CD). I use unglyphed TC, Dragonroar & Bloodbath (AoE = Bloodbath dominates big time compared to avatar).

Remember to prio Revenge over Shield Slam if you are having AoE threat issues. Also smack down your mocking banner if you run into problems!
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2013-10-01 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiz View Post
    Hey guys, I didn't want to create a thread for this, so I hope it's alright i ask it here.

I'm playing in a 10 man HC raiding guild. Not long ago we recruited a new tank, a prot. warrior, he's been doing a fairly great job throughout SoO normal & first 2 HC bosses (Immerseus & The Fallen Protectors). But on Norushen HC we got into some problems, he could not survive in the realm against his add. He kept getting slain over and over, which forced us to get one of our melee dps to use his OS tanking spec (Blood DK) so we could down Norushen.

So my question is: Is our Prot. warr doing somthing wrong, or is it just damn hard surviving in there as his class? He says that it's the mobs Piercing Attack which kills him every time. I can't be a gearing problem as he's running with around 555 ilvl.

All help is welcome as I'd like to count him in for next resets kill on Norushen.
    He is doing something wrong. If he goes in there with some vengeance it should only take him 30-40 seconds to kill his add. He should easily survive without using CDs as long as he interrupts and avoids the aoe.

Aoe tanking on a warrior is different to monks.

Use thunder clap on cooldown and cycle through the adds using those revenge procs which if you are tanking more then 5 mobs will be plentiful. Keep up shield block and you will be in constant enrage. Don't be afraid to use mocking banner to pick up adds at range. Vigilance will also give infinite taunts with no cooldown if you are really struggling.

Warriors are very strong, possibly the strongest tanks in the game atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Hey Eddy (and whoever can give a hand), as promised, a report from a regular 10m Thok kill, hopefully it can help.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=10320&e=10767

Any tips?

Here's the updated armory.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tiago/advanced

Thanks.
    Well, priority-wise you do seem to know what you are doing! Its mainly just little things like making sure you use Berserker Rage on cooldown provided you are below 90 Rage and changing from avatar to Bloodbath for slightly higher DPS
    Other than that just try to push for a *little* bit higher uptime on shield block for heavy repercussions and it will be perfect = )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    He is doing something wrong. If he goes in there with some vengeance it should only take him 30-40 seconds to kill his add. He should easily survive without using CDs as long as he interrupts and avoids the aoe.
    Indeed, even without vengeance and going straight in its perfectly possible to kill your add with a spell reflect on Heroic, most definitely possible on normal
    Tbh, on Heroic the add still has a pretty hard time killing you if you demo the slash and barrier the dot

Thanks man! Sould I macro BR with anything specific or just hit it when rage is below 90?

I've been using Avatar for extra threat, but since the buff this patch, I'll switch for BB and also should I macro it with something, perhaps DR?

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Indeed, even without vengeance and going straight in its perfectly possible to kill your add with a spell reflect on Heroic, most definitely possible on normal
    I killed it easily in NM the first week while I didn't know you could reflect his spells.
    I found it more difficult to kill in Flex, actually. I think it has the same health (not 100% sure) but you have lower vengeance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Thanks man! Sould I macro BR with anything specific or just hit it when rage is below 90?

I've been using Avatar for extra threat, but since the buff this patch, I'll switch for BB and also should I macro it with something, perhaps DR?
    I wouldn't personally macro two abilities together tbh as its nice to have control over each individual one, like zerker rage for example if you get feared off anything its annoying if a macro then puts it on CD for you
    Same with BB / DR, I'd keep them separate but a great combo is to pop Skull Banner and BB then go with a big DR then pop reck and continue smashing away with a HR'ed Shield Slam, the numbers are quite gorgeous :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    I killed it easily in NM the first week while I didn't know you could reflect his spells.
    Yeah I had no idea either tbh, on heroic either for the first reset... just interrupted or ate like a hero lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    I wouldn't personally macro two abilities together tbh as its nice to have control over each individual one, like zerker rage for example if you get feared off anything its annoying if a macro then puts it on CD for you
    Same with BB / DR, I'd keep them separate but a great combo is to pop Skull Banner and BB then go with a big DR then pop reck and continue smashing away with a HR'ed Shield Slam, the numbers are quite gorgeous :P
    Thanks again Eddy.

15+ Year Old Account
    any way to get this thread stickyed? Whenever i see some one ask about prot war basics or want info to prot wars I always refer to this site and thread but at time's it looks like it does not exist as there is only the dps one sticked for 5.4 atm.

We hesitated to sticky this thread as a proper Guide would be better. For now, there is a link to this thread into the "Warrior discussion" sticky.

It is not set in stone and maybe this thread will eventually be stickied but we're more thinking about writing our own guide to have a proper sticky for the spec.

Thanks for the help guys, I won't be able to tell you if it worked, he is no longer raiding with us. =]