Which 2 pieces should be used for our Prot 2 set? I know you use what you can get until something great drops... But in say Optimal Gear which 2 pieces would be the best.

Deleted
    Shoulder or gloves + pants. There's no real competitor for pants and you can get excellent dodge/parry pieces for helmet and chest slot from the easier bosses (first eight). Yes you could also get wf shoulder+gloves even earlier (first two bosses IIRC!?) their item budget is just smaller.

@gliff
    haha funny i missed my family ambient in teamspeak the first night of 25m. 10m was almost always trivial when it came to dps checks or tank death scenarios and it was tremendously easier to handle certain aoe-spread-abilities but it was noticeable harder when you only had a couple of players capable of soaking things, barely covering all (de)buffs with your roster or handling nasty debuffs in general. When you look at each tier since let's say the beginning of Cata you'll find some fights that are easier on each raidsize and that's the end of the story

@aHeeRo The current "BiS" for Protection warriors using the Avoidance setup is Tier head+legs, and then fill your offpieces with loot accordingly.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...idon/Brycewar/

Trying to maximize myself a bit more on this alt. I haven't actually seen a weapon drop yet surprisingly so that's why I got the boa.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Where did I say 25 or 10 man is faceroll?.....

Because I felt uncomfortable at half health when I'm used to 25 man where bosses hit for 75% of my health with no active mitigation up? I could counter and say the fact that I am able to stay at half health for that long with no threat of dying makes 10 man faceroll.....

I'm not gonna sit here and turn this into a 10v25 man thread. Both have their +/- and both have bosses that are harder then the counter difficulty. Anyone saying one or the other is faceroll is an idiot. And it doesnt really matter because in 9 months time we wont have to worry about it.
    Then you get to Garrosh on 10m where he'll kill you in 2 shots just like 25m.

Garrosh 10man solo tanking: Not using barrier before he starts doing his whirl as block is enough to keep you alive up until then.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Is there a mastery cap should I be putting stats into avoidance after a certain point I am at 90% mastery buffed. I thought I read somewhere at 85 % is where should stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Then you get to Garrosh on 10m where he'll kill you in 2 shots just like 25m.
    10 heroic Garrosh hits for around 275k unmitigated. 25 heroic hits for around 400k unmitigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan81 View Post
    Is there a mastery cap should I be putting stats into avoidance after a certain point I am at 90% mastery buffed. I thought I read somewhere at 85 % is where should stop.
    People generally prefer going avoidance before mastery now. You end up taking less damage and doing more damage.

10 heroic Garrosh hits for around 275k unmitigated. 25 heroic hits for around 400k unmitigated.
    I think your numbers are way off. It's more like 425-450k in 10man and 525-550k in 25man. Why we are comparing them: no idea.

Hmm, those numbers seem low although the spread is about right.

My bear's largest hits from Garrosh this week on 10H were ~450k. Looked up a similar ilvl bear's 25H logs and his largest hits were ~580k.
    My 10H prot warr cotank's largest hits from Garrosh were ~540k, the prot warr in my priest's 25H raid was ~660k.

None of the above is conclusive since I didn't rigorously look at the gear/ilvls involved, but it appears he autoattacks for about 120-130k more on 25H, but in either setup you can be (at least mostly, esp if the dot is ticking too) 2 shot if you/your healers aren't decent.

Anyways, this discussion isn't terribly relevant to the thread, so carry on. I just wanted to check the #s since 275k seemed way too low :-p.
    Last edited by Kitmajere; 2014-06-03 at 09:47 AM.

You said he hits for 75% of your HP so if he is hitting for 400k in 25m then your health is only about 550k.

Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    I think your numbers are way off. It's more like 425-450k in 10man and 525-550k in 25man. Why we are comparing them: no idea.
    Because Gliff was mentioning how uncomfortable he felt in 10m at not being healed to full straight away though the lower damage in 10m meant that it didn't matter. I said that Garrosh can you 2 shot you in either difficulty (with no AM up).

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...aken&source=27
    10 man on my server H Garrosh from this week: 280k average hits.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...aken&source=27
    My last 25 H kill: 385k Average hits

Edit: I forgot about Warbringers in P1.

Its more like 555 and 430.
    Last edited by Gliff; 2014-06-03 at 02:37 PM.

If we're discussing truly unmitigated damage (no AM, no CDs), it's higher than those figures too:

23:31:17.356 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Gliff 681418 (A: 2902)
    23:34:02.251 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Gliff 600543 (A: 11885)
    23:35:42.528 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Gliff 696878
    23:33:58.242 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Bushs 724300
    Last edited by trystero; 2014-06-03 at 05:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan81 View Post
    Unless you hit over 100% mastery buffed there's basically no need to worry... unless you're running a mastery procc trinket from the last tier. Your goal is ~ 19.500 mastery if you really want to go down that road.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    @aHeeRo The current "BiS" for Protection warriors using the Avoidance setup is Tier head+legs, and then fill your offpieces with loot accordingly.
    Mind sharing that profile? I juggled with the setup at the beginning of the tier myself and came up with hands or shoulder beating helmet despite their miserable stat allocation due to item budget on those slots. And that was before +16 ilvl which should further help the offset helmet, shouldn't it? Was about +500 avoidance in exchange for a similar amount of mastery, some more favorable socket colors (ie red instead of blue) and a minuscle amount of strength/stam/armor gain.

--

Considering Garrosh:

22:45:13.959 Garrosh Hellscream Melee *** 657050
    22:45:38.081 Garrosh Hellscream Melee *** 662583
    22:45:53.346 Garrosh Hellscream Melee *** 649657

That's on a paladin (10% less base mitigation) but it's still on 10m, so twoshotting is not out of question with an unlucky EF not ticking between two swings (and their super low avoidance). But it's rather hard to get a full grasp why his swing range is that big with regular swings being considerable lower (450k as pointed out before). He can get 3k mastery or 10% ap from "wrong", passive aura mindcontrols (shaman, hunter) but those numbers are simply to big to explain those spikes. Warcry has no effect on him.

We're always running with a disc priest and with his whole damage outside of whirls on the solo tank he get permanent absorbs shield from smart heals, shell and pw:s which might explain some spikes during downtimes, but both wol & wcl are capable of filtering for absorb values.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2014-06-03 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trystero View Post
    If we're discussing truly unmitigated damage (no AM, no CDs), it's higher than those figures too:

23:31:17.356 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Gliff 681418 (A: 2902)
    23:34:02.251 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Gliff 600543 (A: 11885)
    23:35:42.528 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Gliff 696878
    23:33:58.242 Garrosh Hellscream Melee Bushs 724300
    You also have to take out Passive DR, Weakened Blows, and Armor from that damage. So if we figure he hits Gliff for 700k before any AM, with 81299 armor (taken from armory), then he ends up melee swinging for almost 2.5m before anything.

81,299 armor is 58.20% physical reduction against a +3 mob, Prot warriors have a 25% passive DR, and weakened blows is 10% reduction as well. 2,480,950*.75*.9*.418=700,000

Deleted
    Nice thread. Very helpful to get a quick view on the state of the spec without too much hassle.

Prot is my 2nd spec. Should I no longer worry about balancing dodge and parry rating? I recall there were diminishing returns on these avoidance ratings, but I noticed Gliff is gemmed full pary with no fucks given. Thanks in advance.
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Prot is my 2nd spec. Should I no longer worry about balancing dodge and parry rating? I recall there were diminishing returns on these avoidance ratings, but I noticed Gliff is gemmed full pary with no fucks given. Thanks in advance.
    Nah, just go full parry. Works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Q: So I decided to stack avoidance. How should I balance my parry and dodge rating?

A: First of all, whenever you are talking about balancing Parry and dodge rating, you always want to use rating NOT percentage.

There are 2 ways to approach this.
    1: Balance them using something like THIS to have an "optimal" balance for diminishing returns. (Source: Muuku)

2. Throw as much into Parry as possible to take advantage of the HOLD THE LINE GLYPH. The downside is that you lose out on some avoidance due to the DR on parry although the amount you lose is very little (a few 10ths of a percentage of avoidance).
    From OP. I suggest going fully Parry.