Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    My suggestions:

For the first set of turtles, have your best ranged dps pick a turtle, and have all the other ranged dps assist off him or her. That's by far the easiest way to get the first turtle for kicking.

Have a designated turtle kicker. It takes some time to get the timing right on the kicks, especially from a distance. So make one person do it constantly. Big survival cooldowns are a huge plus here, as you occasionally have to stand in rockfalls to get a kick off - I once had to soak 5 at once to get a kick in. No one else should ever kick a turtle unless the designated kicker calls for it - they may have plans you're not aware of.

Set up a cooldown rotation for the stomps/rockfalls.

You really only need 2 dps (10 man) to handle the turtles after the first one, so put everyone else on bat/Tortos duty.

In my experience, an immediate bloodlust works better than saving it. Everyone, including the turtle people, can full burn on Tortos. That makes the middle part of the fight much shorter (and therefore easier), and the turtle-spam at the end just isn't rough enough to make it worthwhile. Your experiences may differ, but that's my take.

I know this sucks to hear, but 18 wipes isn't nearly enough to be worried about. My group took 83 wipes to get him down.

We spent our entire first night on him not being able to down the first turtle in time (3 melee, and no mage/shammy/hunter for hero). Add to that the fact that it's liek a 15 second run, and you get 40+ wipes in 1 three hour raid night.

Deleted
    My guild downed Tortos a handful of times now, and I ended up tanking the bats as blood dk, just like you. For the bats, I glyph Outbreak, so that I can use it on every wave. This requires some runic pooling, but especially at Tortos that's not a problem, because you can AMS every rockfall following Stomp for some easy runic. For quick targeting, I made a '/target Vampiric Cave Bat' macro. When the bats are about to come down (watch dbm), I move to the middle (I think the spawn point is random, so the middle seems like a good place to start from). When they spawn, I hit my macro, and when they're in range, I hit Outbreak (I suppose you could do that in one macro, but this works for me). Then I run over to where they land, Blood Boil, and drag them to the melee, to be cleaved down.

It's not the end of the world when they're not dead before the next wave lands, but when that happens, you might have to target the next wave by hand. I also stopped using Remorseless Winter after complaints of the melee (it seemed such a good idea to use it every other Stomp), and I've also stopped speccing Chillblains. It works nicely to slow the turtles when they come out, but it also slows the bats, and I found that too annoying eventually (you can't move them quickly to where you want them).

Quote Originally Posted by Xirek View Post
    We face smashed on Tortos for a night or so and then we figured out the way things need to go. I would second (third?) the notion that you want to have your healers going through Raid Wall style big CDs during the Quake. After that it's 8 seconds of just surviving the Rockfall. What worked for us (and continues to do so) is to have everyone line up on the left side of Tortos before quake and then run to the right. If people spread out the odds of people running into each other are almost 0%.

Regarding the Shells, we did one kick to interrupt the Furious Stone Breath and then always one after that on the bats. One solid kick through the bats causes those suckers to melt under the weight of melee destruction. You're going to want your range constantly burning down shells and only when there are no shells up should your range be blowing up Tortos (not counting multi-DOTers obviously). Finally, the enrage itself isn't anything to worry about but at the 5 minute mark he will hit a soft enrage and send a ridiculous amount of turtles coming your way. At that point it's usually make or break, so pop anything left and make it happen.

Good luck mate! Once you get it down it's a relatively fun and quick fight to wake people up before going to Megaera.

P.S. Don't hinge your entire strategy on one kicker, because the night he's not there you're going to have a rough time of it. Try to have at least a backup.
    And the kicker should be prepared to call out if he isn't going to make it because there are turtles in the way, he's badly placed, etc. I've had to bail us out by kicking and then immediately pick up the bats so they didn't eat the healers. It's dicey, but a lot less stressful than wiping.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    I know this sucks to hear, but 18 wipes isn't nearly enough to be worried about. My group took 83 wipes to get him down.

We spent our entire first night on him not being able to down the first turtle in time (3 melee, and no mage/shammy/hunter for hero). Add to that the fact that it's liek a 15 second run, and you get 40+ wipes in 1 three hour raid night.
    We did better than this number--83--and then our 2nd (or 3rd) kill pretty much pushed as well past this total. Could be a raid-comp problem, we did a lot better with our ice mage slowing the damn things with every attack. It's not super-usual for a fight to require a "vehicle" mechanic done correctly several times or it wipes you. And those bats are just plain viscous. You just have to hang in there and work out the kinks, accepting all the time that a lot of groups find it surprisingly (embarrassingly, let's be honest) difficult.

Something I should mention, and this will really help with turtle kickers. If you have big wigs, go to the settings and place emphasis on the breath, and it will count down from 5 when you need to kick the turtles, once the countdown begins you have a full 5-10 seconds (depending on how close the shell is) to get to a turtle and kick it. That was way more than enough time to get to one and line it up (I always choose a turtle early and stand about 10 yards away from it). Trust me this helps immensely as i didn't have to watch bars and I could throw as much dps out as i could.

Also hunters should pick up barrage for this fight. Have the macro to target the bat tank, then macro in to target the vampiric bats and shot barrage (never cast barrage except to get bats as it'll be on cooldown if you don't), it'll give the tank a massive amount of threat on ALL the bats, and the increased damage will help alot.

Also when when a new set of turtles are announced to come out, I kick a shell aiming between the incoming turtles and the bats. The hit box on the shells is LARGE, so it should hit everything around it. We keep the bats around tortos foot on the right. This helps us burn down the shells quicker and the bats like butter.

At 30% (~60 million) we blow bloodlust and burn down tortos. When the shell debuff wears off we kick another shell, but be sure to save for another breath (typically there is only one more because it should take about a minute to kill him at that point).

I always make sure Ice trap is down in front of tortos (i Know it overrides other more powerful slow, but more often than not those do not get put on) and the other puts a trap in the center.
    Hopefully this helps.

make sure your priests spec halo and hit it just before every quake stomp, it's awesome healing at exactly the right time
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    We have our tortos tank stand on left side. One healer right the other left. Bat tank picks up at center and tanks the mob a respectable distance behind the pala tank - dps are usually away from here to create less clutter. The defining moment for our guild was when we started actually SLOWING the turtles - aoe slows such as earthbind from da shaman, hunter slows and w/e else you have as well as your coordinated kickers . Sometimes as a healer the bats would come to me but I'd just stun or kite them to bat tank.

Healing wise (when we 3healed) we'd have dedicated bat tank healer to keep em topped up (our holy pala) and the disc for lovely timed stompy spirit shells and a monk (me) for raid and torty tank though as 10m the lines always blur a little in roles. Also rockfalls dont hit immediately and we eventually learnt to finish a cast or hang in there a few seconds to do a few heals or a bit of dps before getting the hell out (every little helps). Not sure how your communication is but make sure healers know when your disc is "loading up the spirit shell" :P Make sure you know all the raidwide cds in your comp and arrange beforehand in what order - make sure that personal cds are being utilized to their fullest. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kutartwo View Post
    Something I should mention, and this will really help with turtle kickers. If you have big wigs, go to the settings and place emphasis on the breath, and it will count down from 5 when you need to kick the turtles, once the countdown begins you have a full 5-10 seconds (depending on how close the shell is) to get to a turtle and kick it. That was way more than enough time to get to one and line it up (I always choose a turtle early and stand about 10 yards away from it). Trust me this helps immensely as i didn't have to watch bars and I could throw as much dps out as i could.
    I don't know if Big Wigs just goes off timers like DBM does, but I found that I couldn't watch the DBM timer because if no one was in melee range, Tortos gained energy too fast and cast breath before the timer said it should.

It should never happen that the tank is out of melee range, but it was enough of a problem for our group that I just had to focus Tortos and keep an eye on his energy bar.

15+ Year Old Account
    We had a lot of wipes on this. Two main things:

Make sure you burn down the very first turtle so that the kicker has one to kick - the first breath comes pretty quickly.
    You must make sure each round of bats is killed before the next stomp. Mainly this involves preventing the turtle tank from dropping low so they don't heal/get buffed.

first off, bloodlust on pull is ignorant because he's not debuffed. extra shells should be kicked through the bats so they melt. this is a 2 heal fight. spread for stomp and run away from eachother after. the blue circles deal dmg outside of the circle based on distance, so when you're out of them keep moving away. lust around 25 percent to get the last turtles needed down and then tunnel boss and kite bats using dnd slow and chillblains. slow all turtles the whole fight. you'll get a double set of turtles sub 20 percent just slow them all and avoid them. also as a dk tank on bats remorseless winter is awesome. bring the bats just offcenter under the bosses chin so they can be cleaved down. the bosses' hitbox is huge, use it.

lots of random thoughts but if you are missing a few of these points they may help you a lot.

there's no one answer on when to lust. i could just as easily say bloodlust <20% is ignorant because people are moving so much to avoid turtles it loses a lot of effectiveness. at least in the beginning you have prepots, all CD's up, no movement, and all trinkets proc'd, which makes it a very non-ignorant time to use bloodlust.

it really doesn't matter where you use bloodlust on this fight. if you have trouble dodging turtles at the end, use it then. if you like to finish off a big chunk of his health in the first 30 seconds, as well as get a little dps boost on the first turtle shell, then use it on the pull. some people hold cooldowns until after the first turtle is kicked and use it then, which is a bit of a compromise: no prepot/trinkets, but there's still not too much movement and you get the debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    I don't know if Big Wigs just goes off timers like DBM does, but I found that I couldn't watch the DBM timer because if no one was in melee range, Tortos gained energy too fast and cast breath before the timer said it should.

It should never happen that the tank is out of melee range, but it was enough of a problem for our group that I just had to focus Tortos and keep an eye on his energy bar.
    Yes, I find I can't pay attention to the timers as well... But putting emphasis on breath puts a voice activated count down. I don't ever watch the timer anymore... I'm not trying to say its the absolute way to go, but a voiced over countdown is sure a lot more recognizable than a bar getting mixed with the others.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    there's no one answer on when to lust. i could just as easily say bloodlust <20% is ignorant because people are moving so much to avoid turtles it loses a lot of effectiveness. at least in the beginning you have prepots, all CD's up, no movement, and all trinkets proc'd, which makes it a very non-ignorant time to use bloodlust.

it really doesn't matter where you use bloodlust on this fight. if you have trouble dodging turtles at the end, use it then. if you like to finish off a big chunk of his health in the first 30 seconds, as well as get a little dps boost on the first turtle shell, then use it on the pull. some people hold cooldowns until after the first turtle is kicked and use it then, which is a bit of a compromise: no prepot/trinkets, but there's still not too much movement and you get the debuff.
    We blow ours at ~30% right after we kill the set of turtles, and before the enrage goes. That gives people about 10-20 seconds before the next turtles spawn (it takes 10 seconds for them to come out when they are called), and we usually end up with maybe 6 spinning once we down him and 3 more in the process of getting called out.... That is more than manageable.