Holy Paladin Challenge Mode advice

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what advice you would have for a holy paladin going into challenge modes. Mainly what I've read is to go all haste, but these were before the nerfs to mastery scaling. Is it still best to go mainly haste? Just for reference, with everything reforged to haste I'm still only at 2.1 second cast with DL with my gear scaled down.

Just wondering if it's worth to give up soo much mastery for a 2.1 second cast. I'm thinking no, but like I said every where says to go for haste.

Also any other advice on glyphs and talents would be awesome.

I did not personally change any of my forgeing, still went heavily Mastery, biggest thing I can suggest is picking up HA as an additional cooldown, the sustain damage in CMs isn't terrible but its more so a matter of having cool downs to manage the big pulls and spike damage, I also ran with Glyph of Blinding Light for the extra stun, if you're already running a stun heavy team (Ele, Warrior, etc) Maybe not worthwhile but it helped a lot in my group having the extra aoe cc. Best of luck and remeber your Klaxxi Ambers.

I don't know if there is really a lot of holy paladin specific advice to give. In general I take 30 second stun, clemency, holy avenger and hammer for most of it. I stayed full mastery reforged for it as well. Make sure you get Klaxxi water and drink it whenever you get a free moment.

The biggest thing though is to know what each mob can actually do. Figure out which pulls are going to hurt and plan cooldowns out for them. Get stuns (and interrupts if possible) on the more threatening mobs. If you are planning on doing any large mob chaining (such as pulling the two trash pulls with the second boss in scarlet halls), you'll quickly find that it is more about preventing damage ever coming in than healing it back up. It is more likely someone will get globalled then they will die to a lack of healing throughput.

I've done the challenge modes geared for haste on everything and I think my divine light was around what yours was. I simply felt that it was more important for me to put out the full heals on time than to have a larger mastery absorb padding. Typically, a few percentage on mastery won't save your tank from the massive amounts of damage he's taking, but a heal thats just a few tenths of a second fast might. I'm sure both ways work though. I'm not quite sure why a mastery nerf would affect a majority of people going haste in challenge modes since in effect it decreases the benefit of going mastery.

Recommended glyphs: Flash of Light (you'll be using this a lot in challenge modes), Blinding Light is usually pretty useful to chain stuns regardless of your group composition, Divinity is OK but for most pulls you'll start with full mana anyways, and our other glyphs are kind of gimpy. Protector of the Innocent is probably your next best.
    Recommended talents: I usually like to go speed of light for first time for on-demand movement. Fist of Justice for Tier 2, Eternal Flame for Tier 3, Clemency for Tier 4, Holy Avenger for Tier 5, Holy Prism for Tier 6, you'll be moving a lot in most of your encounters and it's better to have an instant big heal on your group rather than the over time AOE healing from Hammer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stuck with mastery. I really didn't change my gear very much at all. If you have a good and geared group that knows what they are doing, challenge modes are pretty faceroll now. The amount of gems in gear this tier definitely trivialized them.

What I found to be successful gear and stat wise was the 463 blues from random heroics along with the 463 crafted healing shield and axe. Almost every piece has mastery and unless you have access to top tier gear than that gear would be your best bet.

Ans mastery is almost always the way to go. It is so strong for holy paladins at the moment, you'll actually see top end paladins stacking strait mastery even.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choob View Post
    What I found to be successful gear and stat wise was the 463 blues from random heroics along with the 463 crafted healing shield and axe. Almost every piece has mastery and unless you have access to top tier gear than that gear would be your best bet.

Ans mastery is almost always the way to go. It is so strong for holy paladins at the moment, you'll actually see top end paladins stacking strait mastery even.
    ToT LFR-Heroic gear is most of the times better than other gear(especially the blue gear you are suggesting) because of the amount of sockets in the gear. Gems are not scaled down and will result in more overall stats.

You shouldnt be casting divine light anyway, your most used spell in CMs will be flash of light. DL and HL are far too long of a cast time and to rely on infusion procs is silly.

mana is a non-issue in CMs, because of klaxxi amber food.

I used speed of light, repentance for the extra cc if its needed (or 30 sec stun), Eternal Flame, Clemency OR Unbreakable Spirit, Holy Avenger, and Holy Prism.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    You shouldnt be casting divine light anyway, your most used spell in CMs will be flash of light. DL and HL are far too long of a cast time and to rely on infusion procs is silly...

I used speed of light, repentance for the extra cc if its needed (or 30 sec stun), Eternal Flame, Clemency OR Unbreakable Spirit, Holy Avenger, and Holy Prism.
    Mostly summed up well. Infusion DL procs are below 1 second so that doesn't really matter (I use that over flash). Talent-wise I would just go with FoJ and Clemency, I definitely see both as far more useful than UBS or Repentance.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Mostly summed up well. Infusion DL procs are below 1 second so that doesn't really matter (I use that over flash). Talent-wise I would just go with FoJ and Clemency, I definitely see both as far more useful than UBS or Repentance.
    With stun heavy comps like mine you wouldnt be stunning that much anyway, so its better to take repentance. If its not a stun heavy comp then yea go foj. You'll find repentance far more useful in that situation.

The or is there for show. Clemency is a no brainer for any holy paladin in CMs, hence why it was mentioned first.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2013-06-17 at 10:01 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."