Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

having trouble soloing at lvl 90.

sorry if this thread has been posted i looked for a soloing thread for priests did not find one.
    i am having problems soloing the fifth boss in black temple.....got him to 62% he enrages and kills me. my ilvl is only 459ish. what am i doing wrong? i really want the staff of immaculate recovery from gurtogg bloodboil.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-05-17 at 06:27 AM. Reason: different boss. same problem.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Just get some gear, you will get to the boss that drops the staff very easily once you get some decent gear.

Grab some better gear too get your stats up there. 460ilvl should see you soloing all i think.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    its the fifth boss, and easier than the third boss so if you can get past that i dont see how you cant do it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    its the fifth boss, and easier than the third boss so if you can get past that i dont see how you cant do it
    on the first boss i seem to do alright till the shield comes up then i only manage to do 500k overall damage over 30 seconds and once he enrages i just cant keep up with the damage. 25k hits hurt.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    on the first boss i seem to do alright till the shield comes up then i only manage to do 500k overall damage over 30 seconds and once he enrages i just cant keep up with the damage. 25k hits hurt.
    one of the reasons pvpers get the green gear for the newest xpac and then can solo level 80 raids at level 80 is because the stats on the gear scale insanely with their level. the same holds true at 90 if youre in greens your stats are not that great, get some better gear and i guarantee youll smash its face. with such a low ilvl youd almost be better off soloing it at 85 in mop greens.

Deleted
    To confirm what you're saying, I cleared all of Black Temple without much problems this week at lvl 85 in twink gear. Char Brutallus on Defias Brotherhood EU

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry to necro my own thread but i didnt want to make another one. so i passed the first boss in black temple and am stuck on gurtogg bloodboil got him to 62% and i died. is he at all possible to solo for shadow priests who ARENT raid geared? currently at ilvl 459. all dungeon blues. i really want that staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry to necro my own thread but i didnt want to make another one. so i passed the first boss in black temple and am stuck on gurtogg bloodboil got him to 62% and i died. is he at all possible to solo for shadow priests who ARENT raid geared? currently at ilvl 459. all dungeon blues. i really want that staff.
    Have you tried it as disc? Might be becuase I haven't had a shadow spec since 4.3 but I prefer soloing as disc. Haven't cleared BT since I went there for the temperance set, I was prolly in the 480's then but I had no problem what so ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    isnt disc a healing spec though? i know it has a dps mechanic.....havent healed since 4.0.3 though. not sure how much dps it would do in ilvl 459 gear though to kill him before his stacking damage drains my mana.

Deleted
    You can do some nice dps as disc if you spam atonement, and you'll heal yourself at the same time. Just be careful about your mana usage and keep using your Solace or MB (whichever talent you pick) on cooldown.

If you are dying due to enrage i.e. lack of dps, then stay shadow and try to improve your dps / get more gear
    If you are dying due to lack of self healing but you think the dps is ok, then try disc.

Out of interest, what glyphs are you using to solo as Shadow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    If you are dying due to enrage i.e. lack of dps, then stay shadow and try to improve your dps / get more gear
    If you are dying due to lack of self healing but you think the dps is ok, then try disc.
    I think this sums it up pretty nicely, as far as damage from attonement you should do somewhere in the region of 60% -> 80% (very rough guestimate) of your shadow dps, try it out on a training dummy and see for yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    I think this sums it up pretty nicely, as far as damage from attonement you should do somewhere in the region of 60% -> 80% (very rough guestimate) of your shadow dps, try it out on a training dummy and see for yourself.
    You can indeed do some pretty sick damage with Disc, not quite as high as Shadow (the gap widens with better gear) but the benefit comes from the superb "off-healing" you do whilst dpsing. Holy is actually higher dps than disc, but you won't be healing yourself at the same time.

Deleted
    do you have the glyph of dark binding (allow yourself to heal whilst in shadowform) ?

also, you havent had any upgrades in the 11 days since you last posted up? even with some rep / valor gear / AH / crafting you would get upgrades, which would make old content loads easier. you dont need to be a hardcore raider to get above 459ilvl

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i did i went from ilvl 435 to ilvl 459. i am using glyph of dark binding, glyph of fade and glyph of dispersion. im actually dying due to lack of self healing /acidic wounds stacks.

Deleted
    a good little "trick" for self healing, if you arent already doing it is...

if your getting low save up 3 orbs, hit vampiric embrace then devouring plague and then use mindflay insanity like crazy. DPS burst gets converted into healing, it should take you to max hp within 5 secs and keep you there for a further 10sec. giving everything time to stabilise

use the Divine Insight talent too, more mind blast procs = more devouring plagues = more self healing

Deleted
    yeah i did i went from ilvl 435 to ilvl 459. i am using glyph of dark binding, glyph of fade and glyph of dispersion. im actually dying due to lack of self healing /acidic wounds stacks.
    Use glyph of PoM instead. Much more effective self healing. Use PoM on CD, keep yourself shielded when you can and remember to get those Mind Blasts out as often as possible (always on cooldown) which is not only essential for max dps but also for self healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    will pvp gear increase my survivability/dps if its 28-30ilvls higher than my current gear? not sure how pvp gear works in pve. talking about the 458 blue pvp on ah to fill in for the greens/low level dungeon blues that i am still wearing. oddly enough leather 458 pvp goes for an obscene amount of money for the ilvl on my realm.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-05-18 at 01:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    will pvp gear increase my survivability/dps if its 28-30ilvls higher than my current gear? not sure how pvp gear works in pve. talking about the 458 blue pvp on ah to fill in for the greens/low level dungeon blues that i am still wearing. oddly enough leather 458 pvp goes for an obscene amount of money for the ilvl on my realm.
    PVP gear is the same as PVE gear of comparable levels. In other works, a 458 PVP piece has the same stat budget of a 458 PVE piece. The PVP stats are treated as a bonus on top of the item budget. You'll get an ok boost if you replace enough pieces with those, but if you're only replacing 1 or 2, you'll barely notice it. Have you started doing any of the Isle of Thunder dailies? There are 476 items you can buy with gold at friendly and honored. Depending on what your friends professions are, you may even be able to ask them to craft tier 14 items (ilvl 496) for you if you provide the BoE materials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    PVP gear is the same as PVE gear of comparable levels. In other works, a 458 PVP piece has the same stat budget of a 458 PVE piece. The PVP stats are treated as a bonus on top of the item budget. You'll get an ok boost if you replace enough pieces with those, but if you're only replacing 1 or 2, you'll barely notice it. Have you started doing any of the Isle of Thunder dailies? There are 476 items you can buy with gold at friendly and honored. Depending on what your friends professions are, you may even be able to ask them to craft tier 14 items (ilvl 496) for you if you provide the BoE materials.
    i dont plan on doing any dailies. i absolutely detest dailies. havent done any outside of my jewelcrafting ones and the argent tourney dailies. never did molten front either.
    i have a tailoring alt but she doesnt have the 496 recipes due to not grinding any of the reps because i havent done any dailies. the only reputation im getting is from the dungeons bonuses.
    also which of the three glyphs i am currently using should i replace with pom glyph?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-05-18 at 05:07 AM.