Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Forced to rename my monk

Checked on Battlenet and there were 174 people with the name (Fookyu - also wanted Fookmi but it was taken) I wanted. I was just lucky enough for it to not be in use on my realm. I've played the character on and off since the start of MOP and today I was told that I am being forced to rename.

I'm angry that I'm being forced to rename when 174 other people get away with it. I've had nothing but laughs and funny Austin Powers quotes while playing her. There are 100+ of people with "FunkYou" and that's not even a funny movie reference.

I can't get a reply on this issue from Blizzard and refuse to rename until I do which sucks because I can't play the monk.

Have any of you had a similar issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    You got reported and the other 174 didn't. That's all there is to it.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

The other people who have that name have never been reported it for it. It's not that they are allowed to keep it, it's that Blizzard hasn't been made aware of it.
    And you must have known that the name breaks the ToS.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Personally I wish they actually enforced the ToS naming policy, at least on RP realms, more than they do already.

it is funny to me that people complain they have to change a name that they knew was inappropriate when they made it. it is pretty obvious what will happen in the end isnt it?

Deleted
    You should let all of the other 170 feel your rage and grieve. Report every single one of them over and over again till they all are forced to rename. Only then you shall be calm and happy again.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Care Total: -3

The name isn't funny and breaks their naming rules. Did you really expect to find sympathy here? Eventually most of those people will lose their names too. I'll make sure to report an offensive name in LFG or LFR tonight in your honor.

If you feel that bad about it, roll a level one on those servers and report them all. Or better yet, send an e-mail to customer service reporting all of the names and their servers. Hopefully you can all learn a lesson together!
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think anyone would have the mental fortitude to go through the entire database of character names in WoW and flag all of the names that violate the spirit or letter of the ToS for a rename. Besides, once you had done that you'd have to do it again and again just the account for the sheer number of new characters being made, removed, or transferred. That's why flagging someone with a name violation is up to the player-base and enforcement is spotty at best. You had the bad luck of running afoul of someone who took your name personally, and it very obviously violates the spirit of the ToS for player names.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it not seem a little childish to break the ToS and then point the finger when other get away with it as some sort of justification for breaking the ToS?

I'm not a fan of censoring people (or changing their names). But c'mon, ya had to figure there was a good chance that the name Fookyu would end up getting reported and ultimately changed.

Yep, pretty much the same as every other "I was forced to change my name/pet's name/guild name" post on these forums...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I shoplift chocolate bars from convenience stores... But it's ok because other people do it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanboost View Post
    Checked on Battlenet and there were 174 people with the name (Fookyu - also wanted Fookmi but it was taken) I wanted. I was just lucky enough for it to not be in use on my realm. I've played the character on and off since the start of MOP and today I was told that I am being forced to rename.

I'm angry that I'm being forced to rename when 174 other people get away with it. I've had nothing but laughs and funny Austin Powers quotes while playing her. There are 100+ of people with "FunkYou" and that's not even a funny movie reference.

I can't get a reply on this issue from Blizzard and refuse to rename until I do which sucks because I can't play the monk.

Your desired name, is against the TOS of World of Warcraft. So are the other 174 people and 1 guild. However it requires people to notice and report them to the GMs. Odds are you are playing on a high population server, or one of the many RP servers. This is why you got reported if you wish to play a character with an offensive name roll it on a low population server that is not a RP server. Also if you are really smart roll it on a low pop PVP server, generally if someone has a bad name they just get ganked and camped.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Personally I wish they actually enforced the ToS naming policy, at least on RP realms, more than they do already.
    Just requires people to remember to report bad names.

There is a guy named Salty Cawk on my realm. He's been reported by dozens of people, and still has the name.

Blizzard doesn't apply their rules uniformly.

I mean our Mistweaver Monk's name was Buttweaver and eventually he was asked to rename himself too, so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanboost View Post

I'm glad they are slowing reporting and locking out retarded/sexual innuendo names like this. You had no business using a name like that in the first place. I wish more people with stupid / adult innuendo names would be reported as well. It's a game for teens and names like this have no place in WoW. It's clearly a violation of the naming policy and the others are lucky they've not yet been reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    There is a guy named Salty Cawk on my realm. He's been reported by dozens of people, and still has the name.

that guy's a pure genius.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks. Something happened to my boyfriend recently, except he was also given a 3 hour suspension. He did research, lookuped the name, there were over 200. Someone just got mad in a bg and reported. Nothing you can do, it just sucks.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post

lol there is someone named Vejoina on my realm. I added them to my friends list just to see how long they would have the name. Nothing's happened so far, its been months.

10+ Year Old Account
    u could be an arse and report the others 1 by 1 :P
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    boo-hoo change your name..

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?