Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pre-MoP blue post about Alliance lore during MoP was cake

I don't remember the exact post but I do remember it being in reply to someone asking what was up with the Horde gaining more and more territory and when was something happening for the Alliance. A blizz employee replied saying something along the lines of "its going to get even more bleak for the Alliance but it's during those dark times that true heroes rise and that's when the Alliance is going to make a comeback".

So far this expansion there has been no real Alliance lore outside of a prancing priest prince who wants to look at shiny shit. The Horde still gains ground and the entire storyline revolves around them. Even in being split apart they seem more epic than ever and not weakened. I enjoy both Horde and Alliance story but this is too one sided.

What possible ways could Blizzard make a genuinely interesting Alliance story that isn't just helping with the Horde vs. Horde? I personally would LOVE to see some Alliance troops (whether a renegade section or a fully planned army) take advantage of this Horde disarray and take over/destroy one of the Horde bases to reignite the tension after they're all done hugging and kissing in Orgrimmar.

Quote Originally Posted by Miykul View Post
    A blizz employee replied saying something along the lines of "its going to get even more bleak for the Alliance but it's during those dark times that true heroes rise and that's when the Alliance is going to make a comeback".

So far this expansion there has been no real Alliance lore outside of a prancing priest prince who wants to look at shiny shit.
    Well, that's your personal perspective. Also, the expansion isn't concluded yet. Further, they have been obviously hinting at Tyralion and Alleria.

The Horde still gains ground and the entire storyline revolves around them. Even in being split apart they seem more epic than ever and not weakened. I enjoy both Horde and Alliance story but this is too one sided.
    This is also a question of perspective and subjectivity. You get to invade Orgrimmar and kick the warchief in the teeth - if you call that gaining ground ...

Stop complaing, it's a story after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Well, that's your personal perspective. Also, the expansion isn't concluded yet. Further, they have been obviously hinting at Tyralion and Alleria.

This is also a question of perspective and subjectivity. You get to invade Orgrimmar and kick the warchief in the teeth - if you call that gaining ground ...

same could be sed about danaths return... stil aint happening is it? and hes not the only one who thinks the story is blalantly one sided whole the forums are flooded with it and no we arent the crybaby faction we are the faction that want our money back because we just happen to choose the side of story that sucks extremly hard.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope with all the shit Garrosh has started in 5.4 that the Alliance gets a questchain that is all about eye for an eye at this point.

If not, then it is indeed cake and the Horde once again has the spotlight an entire expansion.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've actually been happy with the Alliance side, even though the horde side does have stronger lore at the moment . We've been constantly doing things and it has been interesting. It was doomed to be this way because Garrosh was the chosen boss, which is horde side so it makes it look like it is focused there. I do believe that the next expansion will be more alliance focused with Tyralion and Alleria being brought back into the picture. I would like to see more from other Alliance leaders though - enjoyed the Moira scenario but need the other ones back in the picture.

I play Horde, and I love the war aspect of the whole game. I want to see more going on with the Alliance because I want to feel like there's still another enemy constantly looming alongside us. so far this expansion just feels like wold of hordecraft

I don't think you can expect much for Alliance when Metzen and Co. are outspoken Horde fanatics.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    You only just got to see Moira killing some trolls. That should be enough alliance lore for a few years...
    What Alliance Got in MoP:
    Theramore destroyed
    Jaina goes coo-coo.
    "Socks."
    Tyrande becomes even less of a intelligent leader. Next thing you know she'll be officially replaced with Malfurian. We all know it's coming.
    Killing some Trolls.
    Get to honor of helping the Horde kill Garrosh. That honor is all we need. You know.... we don't need Theramore, or Gilneas, or Southshore...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post

Well we do get to go to orgrimmar and kick garrosh's ass, but the trolls, tauren, blood elves, undead, goblins, and non korkron orc get to do the same. It's not like the alliance is fighting someone that the horde want to defend. They want him out just as much if not more.

Alot of poeple seem to think that the Alliance has gotten the short end of the stick in MOP. I honestly don't understands why. It is true that we have not had any real epic victory over the Horde, but isn't that what Siege of Ogrimmar is all about? Smiting Garrosh for what he has done?
    In truth I have actually liked the Alliance story in pandaria so for. I really, REALLY like running around with Anduin. Maybe it is because I fell like a mentor for him, being a ol' priest and all, but I think the story in 5.0 and 5.1 was awesome.
    The only thing I can understand, is that people are a bit upset about the story in 5.3, Alliance side. Mainly because there isn't a lot of story at all, compared to 5.1. But on the other hand, the dwarfs got united! And im a dwarf, so that counts for alot too!

People are missing my main question here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miykul View Post
    What possible ways could Blizzard make a genuinely interesting Alliance story that isn't just helping with the Horde vs. Horde? I personally would LOVE to see some Alliance troops (whether a renegade section or a fully planned army) take advantage of this Horde disarray and take over/destroy one of the Horde bases to reignite the tension after they're all done hugging and kissing in Orgrimmar.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    What Alliance Got in MoP:
    Theramore destroyed
    Jaina goes coo-coo.

Alliance gets Dalaran
    A little kid is getting a shit load of information and is seen in a lot of quest from the Horde side. We are forbidden from killing the little rascal

"Socks."
    Tyrande becomes even less of a intelligent leader. Next thing you know she'll be officially replaced with Malfurian. We all know it's coming.
    Killing some Trolls.
    Get to honor of helping the Horde kill Garrosh. That honor is all we need. You know.... we don't need Theramore, or Gilneas, or Southshore...
    I put my 10 chars inside the quote.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archpriest View Post
    Alot of poeple seem to think that the Alliance has gotten the short end of the stick in MOP. I honestly don't understands why. It is true that we have not had any real epic victory over the Horde, but isn't that what Siege of Ogrimmar is all about? Smiting Garrosh for what he has done?
    In truth I have actually liked the Alliance story in pandaria so for. I really, REALLY like running around with Anduin. Maybe it is because I fell like a mentor for him, being a ol' priest and all, but I think the story in 5.0 and 5.1 was awesome.
    The only thing I can understand, is that people are a bit upset about the story in 5.3, Alliance side. Mainly because there isn't a lot of story at all, compared to 5.1. But on the other hand, the dwarfs got united! And im a dwarf, so that counts for alot too!
    the problem for many Alliance players, myself included is that we aren't actually sieging a Horde city and killing the Horde warchief. by now garrosh and Ogrimmar are not of the true Horde, that's the point of the darkspear rebellion. to show that they and garrosh are different. we are HELPING THE HORDE SIEGING ORGRIMMAR! we are not laying siege to the Horde we have always fought, we are laying siege to a warmongering usurper, a warchief in all but title.

hell i even doubt the raid will include Ogrimmar, so far it greatly suggests that we go to the vale and underneath in ragefire chasm.

the anduin part is fun, though i think they should focus other races now.

Quote Originally Posted by FenrisUy View Post
    I put my 10 chars inside the quote.
    We get Dalaran? It's back to neutral as soon as the 1-man scenario is over, so we "Get Dalaran" as much as we were victorious in Swamp of sorrows, three lines of quest text saying we won, and then back to the status quo (You know, the one with the horde right back where they started)

As for Anduin... Set-up for neutrality in the next expansion, mark my words, oh wait! He already is neutral! fist-pumping time! /sarcasm

I like how a lot of complaints come out right when 5.4 hits too on the PTR but since it JUST HIT there is barely anything in and so we havn't seen at all what Blizz is doing with the Alliance yet

It would make perfect sense that after Thrall gets slapped down, the horde winds up less than unified, and the alliance has a great opportunity to regain some ground.... which would play well into the next expansion.

Trust me, Alli players wanted to kill him just as much as Horde players do. "oh you risked all your own lives and the Alliance fleet and large amounts of soldiers have died, just to come and find me and help me? I'm honestly so grateful.. honest.. *MINDCONTROL* ZOINK!"

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It would make perfect sense that after Thrall gets slapped down, the horde winds up less than unified, and the alliance has a great opportunity to regain some ground.... which would play well into the next expansion.

Or we just say "As we're helping you and you can't possibly win otherwise, when you do take over the horde we want Hillsbrad and Gilneas back. As the Worgen are dying for you, its only fair you stop occupying their home city and killing them."
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2013-06-14 at 05:40 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

If 5.4 was Siege of Stormwind, where Horde would make use of Alliance problems to feint helping the revolutionary force in order to kill their leader and attack their main city while still playing the good boy, people would be still complainining about how WoW is tailored towards Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    We get Dalaran? It's back to neutral as soon as the 1-man scenario is over, so we "Get Dalaran" as much as we were victorious in Swamp of sorrows, three lines of quest text saying we won, and then back to the status quo (You know, the one with the horde right back where they started)

As for Anduin... Set-up for neutrality in the next expansion, mark my words, oh wait! He already is neutral! fist-pumping time! /sarcasm
    In Cata Thrall was neutral and the alliance was bitching about the horde centric plot, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!

In terms of overall amount of content I think MoP was fairly balanced up until 5.3 where it just fell flat. The problem I have with the alliance content in MoP is that it's been almost completely focused on humans leaving out half the alliance(draenei, gnomes, and worgen) with night elves being there to just make Varian look good and the dwarves got a scenario. I don't even know why draenei or gnomes are even fighting the horde at this point.

I know Blizzard can handle multiple races doing things in an expansion since they did it with horde races, but for some reason they spent nearly all of the alliance's development time on human content. There was that big push for alliance unity Blizzard is going for yet sadly they handled it extremely poorly and several races feel completely disconnected from the alliance and the storyline as a whole. Instead of showing us how and why the alliance is unified we get voice of god narrators(Cho) to tell us the alliance is unified. It's just poor writing.