10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonform View Post

it seems like you dont like your job[
    Almost nine hours, with no break, no food, barely any drink, in a hot environment. having extra shit thrown at me because I'm not behind enough already apparently. having to deal with dipshits who can't do something as simple as put something somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Almost nine hours, with no break, no food, barely any drink, in a hot environment. having extra shit thrown at me because I'm not behind enough already apparently. having to deal with dipshits who can't do something as simple as put something somewhere.
    thats sounds awful

Your state is right to work, isn't it?

Worker protections are terrible in right to work states.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    that sounds illegal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Your state is right to work, isn't it?

Worker protections are terrible in right to work states.
    Far as I know, every state nowadays is right-to-work. Isn't that the law that says an employer can fire you because you look like his ex-wife's best friend who she cheated on you with and then stole your car?
    Quote Originally Posted by isi View Post
    that sounds illegal
    This is the U.S. Employees are treated like the underside of shit. And in a minimum wage job, multiply that.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account

that sounds illegal
    Only in certain states. A lot of states have no worker protections whatsoever. No mandatory sick leave, no mandatory vacation, no mandatory breaks or lunches, no cap on hours. The only things currently enforced at a federal level are minimum wage and overtime, though the Republicans are trying to force a change to overtime law. They want to allow accrued overtime to translate to vacation days.

And yeah, Pend, most states are right-to-work now. Trying to remember the holdouts. I think it's mostly the Northeast and the Northwest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only in certain states. A lot of states have no worker protections whatsoever. No mandatory sick leave, no mandatory vacation, no mandatory breaks or lunches, no cap on hours. The only things currently enforced at a federal level are minimum wage and overtime, though the Republicans are trying to force a change to overtime law. They want to allow accrued overtime to translate to vacation days.

And yeah, Pend, most states are right-to-work now. Trying to remember the holdouts. I think it's mostly the Northeast and the Northwest.
    Actually you're entirely wrong. The only difference between right to work states and otherwise is the union issue. There are federal laws regulating working conditions and such and YES it is illegal to make someone work for 9 hours without a break by federal law.

10+ Year Old Account
    [IMG]https://derpicdn.net/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTMvMDYvMzAvMTdfNDNfMTVfMzE4XzM2MDg5MV9fc2FmZV9waW5raWVfcGllX2VxdWVzdHJpYV9naX JscyJdXQ/360891__safe_pinkie%2Bpie_solo_animated_equestria%2Bgirls_pixel%2Bart_sprite_desktop%2Bpon ies_artist-colon-botchan-dash-mlp_bouncing.gif[/IG]
    Pink person is best person

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Actually you're entirely wrong. The only difference between right to work states and otherwise is the union issue. There are federal laws regulating working conditions and such and YES it is illegal to make someone work for 9 hours without a break by federal law.
    Hrm. Seems I'm mostly wrong, yes. Though those laws are enforced through OSHA, not the DOJ or other government bodies, which is such an understaffed, underfunded mess that you'll never see anything come of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't feel like looking this up. I know each state has their own break laws. Care to link me something, so that I may refrain from passing the hell out?

On the bright side, the 24-hour McDonald's here serves walk-ups. The downside is, the only reason I went there, is because an almost nine hours shift gets you hungry. You know, at a restaurant. Where I can't eat.

The other downside is, I got a sweet tea, but it's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonform View Post
    Pink person is best person
    Only because it's the only other sprite I know of.

Actually, I'm not wrong.

Lunch and coffee breaks are not a federally regulated thing. It's usually something that is either state-level, or is something unions have fought for.

Right-to-work states tend not to have these protections, since they cripple unions.

10+ Year Old Account
    [IMG]https://derpicdn.net/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTMvMDYvMzAvMTdfNDNfMTVfMzE4XzM2MDg5MV9fc2FmZV9waW5raWVfcGllX2VxdWVzdHJpYV9naX JscyJdXQ/360891__safe_pinkie%2Bpie_solo_animated_equestria%2Bgirls_pixel%2Bart_sprite_desktop%2Bpon ies_artist-colon-botchan-dash-mlp_bouncing.gif[/IM]

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I'm not wrong.

Lunch and coffee breaks are not a federally regulated thing. It's usually something that is either state-level, or is something unions have fought for.

Right-to-work states tend not to have these protections, since they cripple unions.
    However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the work week and considered in determining if overtime was worked.

I know this for a fact because they'd give us all kinds of shit for being early from breaks and lunches because that gets counted as OT.

However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the work week and considered in determining if overtime was worked.

I know this for a fact because they'd give us all kinds of shit for being early from breaks and lunches because that gets counted as OT.
    If the employer offers them.

And all it states is that they can't "clock you out" for the break.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah. That was the problem I had in Alabama. My boss at DQ made us clock out for breaks, which is against state (and apparently federal) law. not that it fucking mattered. All the shit they got away with, and I called OSHA, and they didn't do a fucking thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was gonna say that to. My state is a right-to-work state and they flip shit if they hear about anything like this.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

Yeah. That was the problem I had in Alabama. My boss at DQ made us clock out for breaks, which is against state (and apparently federal) law. not that it fucking mattered. All the shit they got away with, and I called OSHA, and they didn't do a fucking thing.
    That would be because the OSHA budget is pathetically small considering the scale of the job they have to do.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria View Post
    Was gonna say that to. My state is a right-to-work state and they flip shit if they hear about anything like this.
    Eh, I was conflating the problem as a right-to-work problem, when it's really a state law/work place issue.

However, it is overwhelmingly more likely for a right-to-work state not to have mandatory worker breaks than a non-right-to-work state.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the employer offers them.

And all it states is that they can't "clock you out" for the break.
    If you're signing an employment contract where they expressly tell you you don't get breaks and it's factored into your compensation you have no one to blame but yourself.