Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I too yearn for new models, so I can cover them in armor and zoom all the way out.

Seriously, I don't see why folks give such importance to this. Now.. new animations? That's something I can get happy about.
    To be fair there's more to the new models than the updated non 2004 low res textures but also the fact that animations will be much more smoother and with actual emotive faces.

While I can't wait for them too, I am afraid of some of my favourite animations going away

I hope that this won't be the case, but I can't wait for the night elf skeleton.

The Garrosh and Pandaren model are the only fair indications of the actual model and its possibilities. The Vol'jin model and the Troll Councilor models both still use the old Troll Skeleton. Blizzard has done a great job at bringing that old skeleton to life, but it's still a noticeable difference. So yeah, if anything, the models will still be a bit better looking than the Vol'jin/Troll Councilor/Varian Wrynn/Jaina/Tyrande/Malfurion/Illidan models.

One of the more minor things to look forward to when compared to the entirety of the model is that the new models will be able to do actual blinking (GASP!) have moving fingers, have real teeth and a mouth, etcetera. Things like that.

Blood Elves and Draenei are not getting updated at the same time as Vanilla races, they said in the past that they will be the last race to be updated however shortly after saying that, one of the Blue Posters said that TBC races will come shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think it's all around awesome and I hope they dive into more in depth customization as the above poster said. Brown orcs, dark iron dwarves, etc.

Yep this too. I would LOVE to see playable dragonmaw orc skins as well as dark iron skins. Also tribal tattoo/scar options.

"I will take what is mine with fire and blood."

Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    Blood Elves and Draenei are not getting updated at the same time as Vanilla races, they said in the past that they will be the last race to be updated however shortly after saying that, one of the Blue Posters said that TBC races will come shortly after.

It's not really of notice right now, because as we know, they won't do a wave-type release, unless they do release the vanilla ones and then go working on the TBC ones. As it looks now, though, it seems like they're just releasing them all in one go, so the whole "shortly after" thing is not too relevant. But yeah, what you said is true.

On top of that, Goblins and Worgen need to be updated too. While not nearly as noticeable as with .. say, humans or draenei, those models and the skeletons/animations are also surprisingly outdated.

Deleted
    We're not going to get by far the most important thing, though.

Individual toes.

;___;

*throws Griftah's Authentic Troll Shoes in the trash*

new models would be cool, however, i hope against all hope that garrosh's new model is NOT representative of any new orc models. i admit the animations are cool but the model itself is terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a big selling point for new players too. I'd imagine models from 2005 staring them in the face on the creation screen is a little off-putting to some prospective players.

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now let's hope Blizzard doesn't push it back to another 2 expansions...

Deleted
    I would realy love it when they let us choose sub races (i.e. different troll tribes), at least for a day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    So, how in the world is the ability to scale your view at all representative of the concept that new models should not be introduced? I'm not even sure why these threads require naysayers every single time. When will people get tired of walking up to someone, poking their finger in the person's chest, and declaring their opinion as more logical or making of more sense than the other?

That -you- spend most of your time staring at your character's back is all well and good. That is not representative of the entirety of the playerbase and, thus, not a sufficient argument. As we can see from these polls every. single. time. they. are. posted.: People want the new models, no matter -what- the reason is, and Blizzard agrees.
    Please read carefully what I wrote and you quoted. I said that the updating of player models was
    good for the longer term as far as bringing WoW closer to modern standards on how games and their principal characters should appear.
    The part you seem to be objecting to was simply my opinion on how once they're available people will likely mess around with them for a day or two and then move on as the new models become embedded in the game's aesthetic. It's a simple fact that most players don't spend a lot of time admiring their character, nor is that overly likely to change in the future.

So to sum up: Are new player models a good thing? Yes. Am I personally against them? No. Do I think they'll be a game-changing moment that will be the best thing to happen to WoW in years? Not especially.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-06-15 at 07:41 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I too yearn for new models, so I can cover them in armor and zoom all the way out.

Seriously, I don't see why folks give such importance to this. Now.. new animations? That's something I can get happy about.
    Don't forget though that with new animation and models there migth be a possibility for there to be newly and better looking gear aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people are making way too big of a deal over character models. The OP acts as if Blizzard is putting WoW on a modern engine with all new art assets. What you are going to get is an upgraded character model. It will look better, but the armor wont, the ground wont, the sky wont, the buildings wont, the weapons wont. So unless you spend all your time staring into your models face all creepily, its just not a big deal.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Yeah a lot of people like graphics over game play so this is a good move by blizz.

Being at the very low end of the requirements for WoW I am always worried about such updates.
    I expect I will soon need an upgrade to continue playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Don't forget though that with new animation and models there migth be a possibility for there to be newly and better looking gear aswell.

This is true. With new skeletons and models comes the fact that they have to pay less heed to keeping the geosets simple and all that. Look at the difference of the monk starting belt between a Human and a Pandaren. Yes, both have the buckle, but with Pandaren, the rope itself has a model. The starting armor for Pandaren also has those armcuffs and the pants are not directly pasted to the model. (nor are they an old geoset/model; they are new and way better looking)

I think that, because the other races are still stuck being outdated, they didn't do for the armor for the Pandaren throughout the expansion because it would seem unfair, but there's certainly something about the Pandaren Monk starter armor that indicates that they have plans to change armor. If they did, I'm sure they would rather do it after the model updates so they don't have to do it before and afterwards. So we might actually have that "armor update" in the near future.

I honestly don't care one way or another, but a lot of people seem to really want it to happen, so I'm sure they will do a good job.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chances are it won't make me change race. Garrosh is a nice model, but he is still an orc...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    This is true. With new skeletons and models comes the fact that they have to pay less heed to keeping the geosets simple and all that. Look at the difference of the monk starting belt between a Human and a Pandaren. Yes, both have the buckle, but with Pandaren, the rope itself has a model. The starting armor for Pandaren also has those armcuffs and the pants are not directly pasted to the model. (nor are they an old geoset/model; they are new and way better looking)

I think that, because the other races are still stuck being outdated, they didn't do for the armor for the Pandaren throughout the expansion because it would seem unfair, but there's certainly something about the Pandaren Monk starter armor that indicates that they have plans to change armor. If they did, I'm sure they would rather do it after the model updates so they don't have to do it before and afterwards. So we might actually have that "armor update" in the near future.

To illustrate my point, I toyed around with the geosets in WMV. Pandaren have a few extra, and I wanted to show that. It can be seen on the pandaren starting gear, but here it is more obvious as the textures aren't made for it.

Aside from the cuffs at the wrists, the geosets are new. The shape of the pants at the knees, the cuffs at the shoulders, the rope belt. Sure, they are just geosets made for the gear, but it does sketch an idea of what their intentions might be in the future with gear. I really don't think they put that time into it just to give it to one set(literally only the Pandaren monk starting gear) and then never use it again.

I think it shows that they are planning to do something with the gear and the models of the gear, so I think it's fair to expect that we won't be sticking with flat-texture chest armor forever.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2013-06-15 at 08:00 PM.