Any background/lore on how warlocks controlling their minions?

Just doing a quick wowpedia and google search didn't bring me anything. I'm looking for lore on how warlocks control their minions. A link is fine if you have one. I know in game there is summon minions and then enslave minion. Is there a difference? Is it more like a contract with succubus, voidwalkers, and the like or just enslavement?
    Last edited by link4117; 2013-06-15 at 10:22 PM.

There is non-wow related lore that knowing the real name of a demon gives you control over it.
    Not sure if that is related or not, though given that we cannot rename them like hunter can their pets then them having a fixed name, and one which actually has a purpose besides identification then it would make sense.

Previously, you had to wait till level 5 at least to get your imp. Then you had to summon and fight your voidwalker. Your Succ was done via a quest for sacrifice items for it. You fel puppy was also a quest. The felguard was the bottom of the talent tree. At least for WoW lore. Yes, knowing the name of a demon would give you control over it or making a pact with it for temporary service would also do it. The summoned demons are ones you have already made pacts with so serve you and only you so long as the pact is active. The enslave demon is just that, you cast a spell to brainwash the minion into serving you for a small amount of time and when it wears off, you have to destroy the demon or it will kill you for having tried to control it. Used to have a quest for the mounts as well in-game. Never got to do the epic quest but heard it was a major pain in the day. Hope it helps and that I didn't forget anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerWing76 View Post
    Previously, you had to wait till level 5 at least to get your imp. Then you had to summon and fight your voidwalker. Your Succ was done via a quest for sacrifice items for it. You fel puppy was also a quest. The felguard was the bottom of the talent tree. At least for WoW lore. Yes, knowing the name of a demon would give you control over it or making a pact with it for temporary service would also do it. The summoned demons are ones you have already made pacts with so serve you and only you so long as the pact is active. The enslave demon is just that, you cast a spell to brainwash the minion into serving you for a small amount of time and when it wears off, you have to destroy the demon or it will kill you for having tried to control it. Used to have a quest for the mounts as well in-game. Never got to do the epic quest but heard it was a major pain in the day. Hope it helps and that I didn't forget anything.
    I don't think you read my post, but thanks for trying to help.

Thanks Oogzy and ComputerNerd

Iffffff I remember correctly

Warlocks of Azeroth were once mages who dabbled into demonic magic and thus were able to learn summoning rituals. As for the orcs, I'm pretty sure they were shamans however their demonic magic was given to them externally by Kil'Jaeden (I think, its been a long time since i've read most class related lore).

I dont think there is an exact answer to your question, but I am pretty certain it would be a contract due to their un-motivative remarks they sometimes say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerWing76 View Post
    I don't even main a warlock, and I actually miss doing those quests. Thinking of doing them before brings back some memories.

On topic: It's all about pacts. You make the deal, the minion is yours.

The ins-and-outs have been represented very differently in other lore/mythologies regarding non-warlock stylized things. The end result boils down to, in most cases, some kind of sacrifice being made to gain the control of another/the power for one's self. Old mythologies used to invoke living sacrifices to appease the 'fire gods' of volcanoes. For something a bit more modern, though entirely fictional, a person who touched the Death Note could see the Shinigami (Death God) that was bound to the note. I also recall, on another tangent, that Superman could only rid himself of the imp named Mister Mxyzptlk by making him say his name backwards and other jazz - though that was certainly not a case of 'control' as much as it was a means of getting rid of the dude.

#FlightIsImportant

It's a contract, or enslavement depending on which minion it is, or was at least.

The old pre cata quests had you collect items to summon and then defeat each minion, binding it to your will. You actually kinda steel the dreadsteed though. Since dreadsteeds are mounts used by the Nathrizem, and are primarily found on Xoroth.

EDIT...
    Quest text from the old quest.

Imp
    -Description
    Those warlocks who came before us have earned the distrust of the Horde, and while we are tolerated, we are not loved.

This has not brought the warlocks closer together, however, as many choose to live reclusively, dabbling in their magics alone. I will not seek to lead you down one path or the other, but only help you in your maturation.

Before I teach you the art of summoning, bring me six heads of the vile familiars from the cave to the northeast.

-Progress
    It is important that you can control the beings that you summon through your magic. There are few enough interested in learning the ways of the warlock that I would risk throwing your life away by teaching you something before you are ready.

-Completion
    Throughout your training as a warlock, you will learn to call forth beings of many sorts. Some may not seem it, but all are useful tools.

Do not be fooled by the imp's small size. As you no doubt noticed, it is still a formidable adversary.

Voidwalker
    -Description
    Now, observe the [Tablet of Verga], for it contains the glyphs you will need for the summoning. Take them to the circle in Neeru Fireblade's tent on the other side of the cavern. There you will be able to call for the voidwalker. You must defeat it using whatever physical and magical means you have at your disposal. When this is completed, return to me with the glyphs of summoning and I will demonstrate how you may bind the creature to your will.

-Progress
    The voidwalker is a powerful creature. I remember when it was I that was in your shoes, <name>. Over the years, my own voidwalker has grown to fight me less, though I suspect that is only because it hopes I will let my guard down. Remember that, <name>.

-Completion
    You have done well, <name>. I will show you how to summon the voidwalker similar to the one you just defeated. You should know that we have high expectations for you, and you have, so far, matched them. Do not let it go to your head, however, as the tasks that still lie before you will make this seem as simple as waking in the morning.

Succubus
    -Description
    Using these hearts, cast a spell at the summoning circle to open a doorway for the succubus to come through. Your powers are greater now, and you will need all of them to defeat the succubus.

Beware its charms, <name>, many a strong mind has been bound to its will. When overcome, the succubus will be returned to the void, and I will teach you the spell to summon it forth at your command.

-Progress
    Of the powers from beyond the void, the succubus is one of the most dangerous, as the weak are most easily wrapped around its fingers.

Remember that now and in the future.

-Completion
    Again, you have done well, <name>. It has been quite some time since I have seen a young <class> with as much potential as you. Be assured that I will continue to watch your progress, and prepare and assist you in your future trials.

For now, let me show you the summoning spell for your newly dominated succubus.

Fel Hunter
    -Description
    If you are sufficiently prepared, then we should begin. Let me explain the process to you. I will begin by creating the basic summoning circle. When that is finished, my acolytes will use the rods of channeling to create the greater circle.

Once that is done, read the incantation from the Tome of the Cabal, and the felhunter will be pulled forth. Be careful, <name>. A felhunter is a powerful foe, and I'd like to see you keep your head on your shoulders.

-Progress
    Every <class> should have a felhunter at his command. Though it be difficult to tame, the powers it brings to its master far outweigh the cost.

-Completion
    I must say I'm impressed, <name>. When I faced down my felhunter, I barely escaped with my life. I sense that you have the potential to become one of the most powerful warlocks of this era.

Felguard
    Talent, no quest associated with this minion.

Doomguard
    -Objectives
    Venture forth into the Tainted Scar and locate a Doomguard Commander.

Use the Glowing Crystal Prison on the Doomguard Commander. Be prepared for a ferocious onslaught of attacks, as the demon attempts to escape capture.

Should you succeed, return the Imprisoned Doomguard to Daio in the Tainted Scar.

-Description
    The prison is ready. Now for the most difficult portion of this task.

You must find and capture a Doomguard Commander within the Tainted Scar using this crystal prison.

Be warned! A Doomguard is a cunning and lethal adversary and will seek to destroy you as you begin the ritual of imprisonment. It will flail wildly in its attempts to escape imprisonment.

It will focus on nothing but you, <name>. Because of this, I must recommend that you take companions capable of keeping you alive!

Originally warlocks had to keep enslaving their own doomguard or it would go on a rampage and start attacking anything in close proximity, the foolish warlock that tried to control it or otherwise.

Dreadsteed
    -Objectives
    Read Mor'zul's Instructions. Summon a Xorothian Dreadsteed, defeat it, then bind its spirit to you.

-Description
    All the preparations are made. Now, you must perform the ritual to create a Circle of Greater Summoning, then use the parchment infused with Xorothian stardust... to open a portal to Xoroth.

I have written the instructions for the ritual onto a scroll. Study it closely, for you must perform each step exactly if you wish to succeed.

Fortune to you, <name>. And may the souls of your enemies swiftly find their way into your shard pouch.

-Completion
    The Xorothian Dreadsteed's spirit is beaten. Although rage pulses through its ghostly flanks, you know that the beast's soul is yours...

It whispers dark magic into your mind and instills within you the knowledge to summon a dreadsteed.

Felsteed and Infernal had quests as well, but they do not directly mention the reasons for you now being able to summon them, control them, or at the least, bind them to your will as the other quests do.

Warlocks seek power and knowledge at all costs, capturing and forcing demons to work for them or even forming contracts with them in exchange for something that the warlock may not even plan on ever paying (such as their soul). Judging by some of the commentary from the Imp/Fel Imp seems to imply he is there somewhat of his own free will like an agreed contract rather than being bound.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-06-15 at 10:59 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Thanks Cernunnos. That pretty much clears it up. It's kind of sad that they took that out.

Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    Thanks Cernunnos. That pretty much clears it up. It's kind of sad that they took that out.
    I was fine when the removed the need to do the quests but left them in game so you could do them if you wanted to. I was sad when cata hit and all the old class quests got removed.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.