PvP Realms...Or Not?

I'm probably way behind the times here so apologies if the answer to this is blindingly obvious. Out of boredom tonight, I made a couple of characters on (EU) Ravenholdt (RP-PvP), EU Ravencrest (PvP) and EU Ragnaros (PvP). In each case, upon arriving in Goldshire with my newly minted level 1 Priest, I immediately noticed that a) I wasn't flagged for PvP and b) many players around me were also not flagged for PvP.

Now, I started WoW 8 years ago and I'm aware that much has changed in that time, but as far as I was aware, being on a PvP realm of any kind meant that you were auto-flagged for PvP, couldn't switch it off and you took your chances. It would appear this is no longer the case, so the next obvious question is: what's the point of designating realms as PvP-enabled, when PvP can be switched on and off manually anyway?

Am I missing something?

10+ Year Old Account
    You only auto flag in contested areas. Newbie zones are not contested. Once you venture into a contested or enemy zone, you will flag. As far as i know rhat has always been the case.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of your faction's designated "territory" is not flagged. Going into contested or enemy territory will flag you for PvP.

Level 1-10 zones are always "friendly" so that people can learn the game in peace and it's been that way since launch. You can opt in for PvP on but it's not forced until you wander off from the first "safe" zone.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

@thread

Cheers for the replies, appreciated.