PvP needs to be rejuvenated - Too many things wrong with it

PvP need to be rejuvenated, its current state is sad and I hate to see it like this. Might be a long thread because I have a lot to say on this topic.

With these new additions to PvP mid-season (baseline resilience at 65%), the game still suffers from being unbalanced. This wasn't a magical fix, in fact it just frustrated a lot of people. You still have certain classes over-performing and under-performing in PvP as always. Also the downscaling of item levels in PvP should help, but an argument could be made for the other side as well. I thought it was exciting to find a perfect balance between PvP and PvE gear in PvP, sacrificing your survivability to become more powerful was a fun thing to do. Now you don't really have that freedom, if your class is weak you really can't do anything but deal with it.

No gear progression, this is a huge problem. WoW is an MMO, and a staple of an MMO is gear progression, this is what people want and strive for. Right now there is no gear progression in PvP. Capping for conquest doesn't count as real gear progression because it is effortless, and everyone and their mother has full tyrannical. Even if you aren't in full tyrannical there isn't really much drop off anyways if you're a casual player doing battlegrounds. Why not re-introduce the rating requirements to buy PvP gear like in wrath? Have people work towards something and feel good about getting a new piece of gear they unlocked.

Right now there is no reason to play arenas or rated battlegrounds because there is nothing to work for. Get gladiator? Most people won't get gladiator anyways and see it as unattainable. Usually you could have played arenas to unlock new gear, or even hit 2,200 and get your tier 2 weapons and become more powerful. But of course that is no longer available, gear progression is gone in PvP. Blizzard expects people to be self motivated to play arenas for fun, but it isn't fun in its current state, it is more stale than ever. I personally don't have the urge to log on and do arenas anymore, no reason to do so and nothing to work towards. Why log into WoW and try to find partners when you can goto a competitive game like LoL and quickly find a game? But this thread isn't about LoL so I'll try to keep it on topic.

What about the people who have a hard time finding arena partners? No achievements so you can't play with the good players, when in reality he could be a very skilled player. If you got a high rating once then you're pretty much set, even though those ratings are completely invalid. Someone who gets 2500 in wrath could be playing like a 1700 player today, I've witnessed it. This needs to be fixed, people who didn't have the opportunity to get a high rating one season are left to suffer and it shouldn't be like that. Arena achievements and statistics should be wiped at the start of every season. This would encourage more people to play arenas, because those statistics and achievements are invalid and useless. PvP needs to have fresh statistics and achievements every single season. There are probably tons of players capable of getting high ratings who log on, fly around the main city and log off because they can't find a good team to do arenas, all because people want an achievement link.

PvP is in a really bad spot & arena participation has plummeted for a reason. I hope Blizzard would do some of these things and give life to PvP once again, because right now its dead.

Deleted
    The only thing thats really imbalanced is skilldifference between players. Quit crying and l2p.
    You even cry about ratings... if you win you gain mmr, not that hard huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tronux View Post
    The only thing thats really imbalanced is skilldifference between players. Quit crying and l2p.
    How am I crying about ratings? You clearly didn't read the post. You win and gain mmr, wow, thanks for that groundbreaking information... Also if you think the only imbalanced thing is skill difference between players, that is the biggest joke I've heard in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronux View Post
    Yeah, a well balanced game is one that can be played at all levels. There are classes that fare better than others at times. and honestly.. nothing you said was constructive.

Like he said in his last paragraph.. where high players can play at low ranks.. In league of legends, if I join as a lvl 5 with a lvl 30... I get moved into the lvl 30 games.. not the other way around

and the best fix for pvp... make seperate talents and how hard spells hit from PVE. Blizzard shoots themselves int he foot by not making things different. just saying it does 10 dmg to a npc but 5 to a player is soooo much easier than making it to 7 to everything, thus nerfing it in pve and buffing it in pvp

the best example I can think of is a destruction warlock.. though it does well now because of adding rain of fire to the rotation... they need to keep nerfing chaos bolt for pvp, thus making it stupidly weak in PVE

On that note.. not a huge fan of -gear progression- because it should be about skill... however, I believe that there needs to be offered other things.. how many doo dads to they make for pve? nothing for pvp but maybe 10 dudes getting a wicked mount
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2013-06-16 at 07:38 AM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see the rating requirements brought back as well, however they created a problem that when you got to 1790/2190 you were constantly queueing into teams who had the weapons already and were just hovering above the cap. For some classes the delta from weapon damage scales far too high(warriors/frost dks) so having the 1800/2200 weapons was a massive advantage over a team that didn't. A lot of the time the team with the better gear could afford to play recklessly or make mistakes and still win due to this, which blizz in the end thought was unfair, and i kinda agree in some respects.

Solution: Bring back the rating for gear system but change the way teams are queued so that you can only ever queue into your current rating lvl 0-1799, 1800-2199 and 2200+ This sort of creates a bronze/silver/gold league style of arena ladder where gear progression is your reward as well as rating but you will never be disadvantaged by the gear delta of fighting a team in the league above you..

Thoughts??

Deleted
    every single class is viable in PvP, EVERY SINGLE CLASS.

WoW PvP has never been this good.

Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    PvP need to be rejuvenated, its current state is sad and I hate to see it like this.
    If it were up to me to improve PvP for WoW, this is what i would do:

I would make it so that the ilvl cap in instanced PvP increased a little bit each week for the entire PvP season. To stay at that cap, you could PvP, raid, farm Valor gear...whatever you wanted. I'd get rid of PvP specific gear except transmog stuff and the "break out" trinket. I would consolidate all the Justice/Valor/Honor/Conquest points into just Valor points. PvPing would award Valor points and, depending on your rating, you might have a small chance of being awarded an appropriate raid gear token on wins.

I'd also merge random BGs back with rated BGs and use people's personal RBG rating to help form appropriate PUG teams. Theoretically, this would filter all the AFKers and bots to the bottom, away from actual players.

Personally, I think this would cause PvP to no longer be just a little niche game hanging off WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post

the best example I can think of is a destruction warlock.. though it does well now because of adding rain of fire to the rotation... they need to keep nerfing chaos bolt for pvp, thus making it stupidly weak in PVE
    You just shot yourself in the foot.