Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    People who cant handle text in a game are just pathetic. Im really sorry for your inability to ignore text you dont like.

That aside lol bans have exactly one effect: those people create new accounts and become the people lvl1 players have to deal with. Gives a nice impression on how to behave for the new players right?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring View Post
    The way you build a good community is to make player reputation matter and make it impossible to achieve things alone.
    And bloody Amen to this. In most mmos with communities that are supportive you can't even LEVEL unless you can be civil and learn to cooperate. WoW was incredibly simple after playing FF11 prior to it, but the new age of gaming just doesn't encourage giving a shit about your fellow gamers until the Normal/Heroic modes, by which time it's too damn late for them to have learned the skills they should have had from the start.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    People who cant handle text in a game are just pathetic. Im really sorry for your inability to ignore text you dont like.

That aside lol bans have exactly one effect: those people create new accounts and become the people lvl1 players have to deal with. Gives a nice impression on how to behave for the new players right?
    Ssshhh. You're giving away the secret.

Just the other day, I had a person state: "I will not heal you if you stand in stupid things."
    Two of the people in question, myself and a friend were lagging. Likely due to a ISP issue (we lived in the same area).
    In his shoes, I never neglect to heal anyone. I consider it my job; and the point of being in a group is to make sure the group succeeds.

I consider this person toxic. Especially because after being provided an explanation for his tactless pronouncement, he continued to berate and malign us with foul language.

If you don't think this is a problem, you are part of the problem. We have seen that people that are not held accountable for their actions online create an unfavorable environment for others.

The existence of a Troll is something that his risen from unaccountability and
    TL;DR, Unaccountability introduces entropy into our system. We don't need any more entropy in any system.

People who cant handle text in a game are just [pathetic].
    Toxic player identified.

I can handle your text, but your attitude is unnecessary.
    My point is, no one has ever held you accountable for your lack of tact, and thus you think it is appropriate to act without any.
    Last edited by Tobley; 2013-06-16 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    Just the other day, I had a person state: "I will not heal you if you stand in stupid things."
    Two of the people in question, myself and a friend were lagging. Likely due to a ISP issue (we lived in the same area).
    In his shoes, I never neglect to heal anyone. I consider it my job; and the point of being in a group is to make sure the group succeeds.

I consider this person toxic. Especially because after being provided an explanation for his tactless pronouncement, he continued to berate and malign us with foul language.

If you don't think this is a problem, you are part of the problem. We have seen that people that are not held accountable for their actions online create an unfavorable environment for others.

The existence of a Troll is something that his risen from unaccountability and
    TL;DR, Unaccountability introduces entropy into our system. We don't need any more entropy in any system.
    So you want to force him into cooperation? How so? If you ban for telling his thoughts he will simply remain silent and let you die without warning.
    You can't force anyone to behave like you want with bans. You should learn how to persuade such people into cooperation instead of declaring them the problem.
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2013-06-16 at 11:34 AM.

So you want to force him into cooperation? How so? If you ban for telling his thoughts he will simply remain silent and let you die without warning.
    You can't force anyone to behave like you want with bans. Deal with it.
    Yes, you force people into cooperation but by societal means.

And for anyone that doesn't know, very few players are actually banned in LoL.
    LoL uses the "Tribunal" which is a jury of public opinion from other players that decide if they are 'guilty' or not.

This is -normal-. If you say something negative to a woman you're trying to pick up at the bar, she's going to slap you.
    This is how the real world works and I don't think it's a terrible thing to try and make online games work like this.
    Last edited by Tobley; 2013-06-16 at 11:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    Toxic player identified.

I can handle your text, but your attitude is unnecessary.
    My point is, no one has ever held you accountable for your lack of tact, and thus you think it is appropriate to act without any.
    Its simple i dont flame but i also dont mind those who do, if you make a problem out of it and start drama with him you bring down the team as now 2 people write nonsense instead of contentrating on the game. You become as much the problem as the flamer. My attitude allows me to cooperate with anyone while yours will let you loose games with anyone not political correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    why would they want to remove a large portion of their players? :S

i don't really see an issue with toxic players...just don't interact with them, ignore/ report them 0o

Deleted
    LoL has become a much nicier place recently. Buuuut, it may have been just me transferring from EU East to EU West =)))

Deleted
    Oh noes, Humanity is a disgusting reality! Protect my innocent and transparent skin while I have to deal with this filth! Oh, Ponyville, why did I leave you ?!

Its simple i dont flame but i also dont mind those who do, if you make a problem out of it and start drama with him you bring down the team as now 2 people write nonsense instead of contentrating on the game. You become as much the problem as the flamer. My attitude allows me to cooperate with anyone while yours will let you loose games with anyone not political correct.
    I don't think you understand.
    There isn't exactly some sort of trauma involved. I "tolerate" toxic players and get the job done. That doesn't mean I like them being there.
    I'd be lying if it didn't impact me on some level though which is usually frustration and annoyance.
    These people introduce increase entropy into the system though. This is bad for -all- of us whether you're aware of the concept of entropy or not.

Deleted
    Blizz has done plenty to deal with toxic players:
    1. Ban immunity if a toxic is kicked repeatedly from a group it takes longer to kick them next time, have had them join with 3 hour kick immunity from get go.
    2. You can click to ignore/report a toxic player unless they actually say something in chat.
    3. Ignoring someone no longer means you will never get paired with them again in instances. (some point during mop)
    4. Name/faction change gives them a clean slate from your ignore list.
    5. Cannot ignore battle id's (the person) you can only ignore individual toon, allowing for a reroll/change toon harrasment.
    6. If you report someone all messages sent are removed from your log so you cant take screenies to support your case or click to ignore. (I doubt the report claim perma ignores)
    7. Ninja looting is considered acceptable in most cases.
    8. Kicking somone removes their deserter debuff so they can hop right back into trolling, if you leave in disgust you get deserter debuff.

oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    That's pretty easy to define.

A player is "toxic" to the community when his behavior has a negative impact on multiple players' desire to remain in the game.[COLOR="red"]
    Imagine a group of players, P, that were particularly interested in playing a game with what they thought had enjoyable mechanics. Another player, Z, while engaging with this group P in a conversation, points out that certain mechanics in game Q were in his opinion not fun. This player Z was to this group P particularly persuasive.

P simultaneously had a negative impact on multiple persons desire to play game Q. However, player P didn't swear, and wasn't abusive in any way, shape or form. By your definition, player P is however a "toxic" player. I suspect that there is no current unproblematic identifiable definition outlining the necessary and/or sufficient conditions under which a player can be classed "toxic".
    Last edited by Themessiah; 2013-06-25 at 02:45 PM.

Deleted
    I don't know what game you guys are playing or on what servers but I still get at least one flamer/rager in almost 1 out of 2 games.

Deleted
    Toxic players for me, are people who can't get the fact that it's the fucking INTERNET and people are here to flame, troll and taunt everytime. Who the fuck cares? If you don't like it, ignore it. Get the fuck over it, stop crying and stop being so butthurt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    Blizz has done plenty to deal with toxic players:
    1. Ban immunity if a toxic is kicked repeatedly from a group it takes longer to kick them next time, have had them join with 3 hour kick immunity from get go.
    2. You can click to ignore/report a toxic player unless they actually say something in chat.
    3. Ignoring someone no longer means you will never get paired with them again in instances. (some point during mop)
    4. Name/faction change gives them a clean slate from your ignore list.
    5. Cannot ignore battle id's (the person) you can only ignore individual toon, allowing for a reroll/change toon harrasment.
    6. If you report someone all messages sent are removed from your log so you cant take screenies to support your case or click to ignore. (I doubt the report claim perma ignores)
    7. Ninja looting is considered acceptable in most cases.
    8. Kicking somone removes their deserter debuff so they can hop right back into trolling, if you leave in disgust you get deserter debuff.

oh wait...
    1. They don't have ban immunity. It's that every time YOU initiate a votekick, your right to do it again becomes more distant. The bigger the butthurt kicker you are, the rarer will you be allowed to kick people. This isn't to protect trolls, this is to curb the tendency of elitist whores to kick ppl simply because they don't have OVER 9000 ilevel in dungeon.
    I've had people that it said I can't kick them for 30 min, yet they were kicked just fine by other members of the group.
    2. Yes Blizzard should allow you to ignore total strangers that didn't even say anything, just because you don't like their mog or their gems or something.
    5. You can report such players and they will be infracted. Hell, I would LIKE one to harass me so I can give him a ban.
    6. Take screenshots before reporting ? Also, the GM have all the info on log, they don't need your evidence.
    7. Ninja looting in randoms is acceptable. It's not acceptable in pug raids when the leader clearly stated the loot rules before hand. So make sure you ask the leader the loot rules before starting and leave if you don't like them.
    8. The odds for the same kicked player to be able to join the same group through the LFG are very slim. But I do agree that kicked players should get a deserter debuff, just like players being kicked from battlegrounds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    What are toxic players?
    It's the new buzz word for ''Nasty wasty trolls who make me sad''. Personally feel that if you've got the time to let this sort of thing bother you, you need to get busy doing something else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by syridian View Post
    it's the new buzz word for ''nasty wasty trolls who make me sad''. Personally feel that if you've got the time to let this sort of thing bother you, you need to get busy doing something else.
    ding dong bannu

Something I would like to see Blizzard do is to mute people. If people can't be reasonable then they shouldn't be allowed to talk to anyone in game for a limited amount of time, with that time being increased with consecutive mutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Wasn't it Dota 2 that had drastic declines in player asshattery in recent months. As far as I've played, LoL is still just as vile and horrific as it's ever been from bottom of bronze to top of gold. Granted, It's still a beautiful place compared to HoN.

I personally don't even think the WoW community is that bad. Having played moba games. Could it use work, sure I think so, but it's our own fucking fault for creating the generation of gamers that exist today. But dozens upon dozens of threads exist ranting about why WoW has/is suffered already and I'm not about to write another wall of text.
    Well yea when they implemented a system where 4 chat abuse reports resulted in an instant
    24 -> 48 -> 168 hour mute even if you didn't even type anything in the entire game and your
    mute period could get extended while already being muted.

Because of constant abuse they reduced the reports / week to 4 and later to 2 which makes the
    report system completely useless.

When no one can communicate I guess it counts as declines in player asshattery.

/ignore or mute solves 99% of "toxic" player behavior. If someone continues to abuse you after
    you have ignored him in some other way just report him for harassment.

Chat abuse should never be punished unless it's on general, yell or some other channel with possible
    wide audience where it causes trouble more a lot of people.

If someone is being a douche on party chat or whispers you just ignore him and the problem is gone.
    There is no need for Blizzard to do anything else than they are already doing.