Poll: Should Warlocks receive a fully supported tanking specialization?

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukahn View Post
    Problem is Ghostcrawler doesn't want that. When he retires, maybe we'll see it though.
    he doesnt run the show, hes a spokesman.....lol
    wow

While we're at it let's add DK Healers! They can glyph Death Coil to shield people already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving DKs a heal spec!

Hunters should have a tank spec too! They can distracting shot already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving Hunters a tank spec!

And you know what else? Give Rogues a tank spec! They have evasion already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving Rogues a tank spec!

Warriors should have a ranged DPS Spec! They have heroic throw already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving Warriors a ranged DPS spec!

Blizzard should just make every class able to do every role and completely remove any and all uniqueness from the game, and we can rename WoW to Final Fantasy and watch it fail!

Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    he doesnt run the show
    False. He is not a spokesperson. He's the lead class designer.

Deleted
    On my warlock, I tanked Jinrokh and horridon with no issues (lfr, though), had a bop every 10 stacks and the other tank was on adds

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    False. He is not a spokesperson. He's the lead class designer.
    Lead systems designer. He is just the 'face' of the design team.

Quote Originally Posted by werdwitha3 View Post
    While we're at it let's add DK Healers! They can glyph Death Coil to shield people already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving DKs a heal spec!

Hunters should have a tank spec too! They can distracting shot already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving Hunters a tank spec!

And you know what else? Give Rogues a tank spec! They have evasion already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving Rogues a tank spec!

Warriors should have a ranged DPS Spec! They have heroic throw already, it's just a tease by Blizzard not giving Warriors a ranged DPS spec!

Blizzard should just make every class able to do every role and completely remove any and all uniqueness from the game, and we can rename WoW to Final Fantasy and watch it fail!

Woo!
    With the recent addition of AV giving a vengeance like effect, the only thing preventing warlocks from being full-fledged tanks with Dark Apotheosis is the artificial removal of Crit Immunity from DA form, as well as the change of Provocation to an actual taunt, and a numbers pass.

You can downplay how close warlocks are to being actual tanks as much as you want with a false slippery slope argument, but at this point warlocks could easily tank with a few, extremely easy, basic changes (which are essentially reverting old changes).

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sac your Voidwalker, become imbued with his powers and you pretty much have a Warlock tank. Throw in some Glaives and you can knock out two birds with one stone.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like the OP are the reason WoW is going to hell in a handbasket

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Druids have 4 specs (hilarious really) so there is no excuse for holding back the rest of us. Shamans and Warlocks should have tank specs for a start.
    Druids have since the start had feral trying to be two roles shoehorned into a single spec.
    Nobody else had that, and so that is not some excuse but fixing a long term problem with ultimately a better solution than removing one of the options.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaburoDaimando View Post
    So I just popped into a Pinnacle of Storms on LFR when I noticed there was one tank and a pair of mobs separating us from Lei Shen. What do I do? Switch out my specs a bit on my Demonology Warlock and give them a hand. The other tank agreed and we pulled. I did what I could to keep her protected with Fury Ward on the Thunder Lord while the other tank kept the Lightning Guardian at bay. In the end, we were able to successfully down both mobs. And great timing, the new tank comes on in.

Seriously. I really think Blizzard needs to take Warlock Tanking seriously and implement it as a legit tanking spec for a future patch/expansion.
    The question here is, what would have happened if a tank had joined with you, and thus there would have been no need for you to show off with coincidentally suitable but yet superficial class abilities for the context? would this thread have still been made? A hunter could have kited either elites to the begining of the instance and then feign death giving you plenty of time to finish off one mob, given that you only had one tank. Should hunters now get a tanking spec? just cause?

Somebody is a lil bit too attached to a single class and sadly, he's not playing a druid, so this clearly warrants a thread about changing the vision of game designers and game mechanics by implementing a clunky pet tanking system. Seriously.
    Last edited by Srg56; 2013-06-21 at 09:33 PM.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    The question here is, what would have happened if a tank had joined with you, and thus there would have been no need for you to show off with coincidentally suitable but yet superficial class abilities for the context? would this thread have still been made? A hunter could have kited either elites to the begining of the instance and then feign death giving you plenty of time to finish off one mob, given that you only had one tank. Should hunters now get a tanking spec? just cause?

Somebody is a lil bit too attached to a single class and sadly, he's not playing a druid, so this clearly warrants a thread about changing the vision of game designers and game mechanics by implementing a clunky pet tanking system. Seriously.
    Only mechanics DA tanks ARE missing is:
    1) Crit Immunity while in form (Was originally baked in, but removed to keep warlocks from tanking)
    2) True taunt (Again, was originally baked in, but removed to keep warlocks from tanking)
    3) Vengeance (Gaining this supposedly in 5.4 through AV talent)
    4) Damage reduction from stats other than Mastery/Int. (Int -> Spellpower -> Bigger Fury Wards) This isn't even really a thing because just look at Guardian Druids.

It would not be hard to do a simple numbers pass at DA tanking and make it a real, actual factual thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    What armor buff?
    I spaced out, and criss-crossed the buff Boomkins and Shadow got with Warlocks. You can't expect accuracy from me, I'm only glancing at these things now.

Deleted
    When will mage healing be a 100% reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Two new tanking classes did not increase the number of people playing tanks. How would a third help?
    Apples and oranges: two new tanking classes which require players to reroll and level as opposed to a spec being offered to a significant portion of existing max level toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    DA doesn't put you into Demon form. It gives your robe wearing warlock wings. Just like everything else, something new will always be rooted for. But it would fade. Of course you would be tanking. Why wouldn't you? But after the newness of it wore off, and ppl realize "oh, now I realize why I didn't roll a tank in the first place.". It'll be wasted resource time. It just isn't worth the immense amount of work that it would take.
    I love tanking, but I can't tank because there isn't a single decent tanking class available. sometimes I tank on my paladin or on my monk, but than I look at them and I feel bad and uncomfortable. whether it's the church boy that lights up like a christmas tree, or the drunkard that can barely walk straight, they both feel lame and dumb, and I don't really want to keep playing on them for more than a few hours a month.

IMHO, aesthetics are a really important factor at fun, and there just doesn't exist a class with acceptable aesthetics and the extremely fun tank role at the same time. DKs are close, as you can choose between "acceptable aesthetics" as unholy or frost, or "tank role" as a bleeding whore.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Druids have since the start had feral trying to be two roles shoehorned into a single spec.
    Nobody else had that, and so that is not some excuse but fixing a long term problem with ultimately a better solution than removing one of the options.
    Actually, the only real reason they split it up was so Druids could not go "oh, the other tank taunted, dps time" *cat form* and keep up in damage. At this point, demonology DOES have 2 specs, simply thanks to the glyph. Yes, they are not the greatest tanks, as they can be critted, and they cant taunt, but this can easily be remedied. Honestly the taunt should be a taunt. As its supposed to be a dps warrior throwing on a shield and holding the boss with his taunt, or a rogue taunting with symbiosis growl, a druid growling, or paladin taunting or dk Dark commanding. (dunno if monks have it as i simply fistweave for fun). So... how are we supposed to get threat if we are not the top threat?

Do note, MoP alpha, demonology was going to become a straight tank spec. Yet, it was turned down. Which eventually gave us a boomkin like spec. With next expansion, I do expect the pures to become hybrid, and thats really it along with the model updates. and maybe a new race.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Only mechanics DA tanks ARE missing is:
    1) Crit Immunity while in form (Was originally baked in, but removed to keep warlocks from tanking)
    To be fair, this was removed from all non-true tanks (as in, only Blood DKs are crit immune in Blood Presence. Frost/Unholy DKs are not crit immune in Blood Presence). I was disappointed but could not really complain DA lost it since it was across-the-board and not just targeting locks.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Sadly, the Warlock community has become greedy. Your class just received a major overhaul, and now you want them to convert one of your trees into a tanking tree?
    I'm pretty sure the tanking tree was desired quite a while before the overhaul, if not even more so before the overhaul. So I don't see where this "community's gotten greedy" thing is coming from.

@ 4th specs: Basically I'd only see 4th specs for all classes coming if they decided to add "support" as a new role (something that's in other games) which would be a huge, huge change. And at that point I could see rogues/hunters as support rather than a tank/healer.

But that still doesn't change that I think 3 DPS specs is too much for a class (yes, even if everyone had four in total!), and each class with 3 should have 1 changed to another role (whether it be tank/heal or "support").

---------- Post added 2013-06-22 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    Do note, MoP alpha, demonology was going to become a straight tank spec. Yet, it was turned down. Which eventually gave us a boomkin like spec. With next expansion, I do expect the pures to become hybrid, and thats really it along with the model updates. and maybe a new race.
    Ugh. At least boomkins are less clunky in their current incarnation.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-06-22 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Apples and oranges: two new tanking classes which require players to reroll and level as opposed to a spec being offered to a significant portion of existing max level toons.
    I suggest a look at some of the posts by Cynwise, talking about the population of various classes, and their participation in various types of content.
    http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2013/06...for-patch-5-3/

There it has been shown that Death Knights are more abundant both in being levelled, and actually in the content more than several much more established classes.
    Warlocks and Rogues being two of those established classes that Death Knights overtook.

Therefore people will and have levelled a new class over some other more established classes, and yet the tank number saw no lasting benefit.

Any increase in the number of tanking options is not coming with any increase in the availability of tanks being played.
    We do not "need" warlock tanks.
    We do not "need" additional tank options.
    The role is unattractive for other reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I suggest a look at some of the posts by Cynwise, talking about the population of various classes, and their participation in various types of content.
    http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2013/06...for-patch-5-3/

There it has been shown that Death Knights are more abundant both in being levelled, and actually in the content more than several much more established classes.
    Warlocks and Rogues being two of those established classes that Death Knights overtook.

Therefore people will and have levelled a new class over some other more established classes, and yet the tank number saw no lasting benefit.

Any increase in the number of tanking options is not coming with any increase in the availability of tanks being played.
    We do not "need" warlock tanks.
    We do not "need" additional tank options.
    The role is unattractive for other reasons.
    No offence, but why is the role unattractive to warlocks? if its simply "because I dont want to be forced to tank" when in reality, not every warrior tanks, and refuse to do so. Or is simpy the fact "im a pure class, and it should stay that way," and to this I say pures are a dead idea and should be forced out of peoples heads, as it is a total let down on the possibilities.

I do agree, that the Number of tanks would not increase.... drastically, but I am one of those who will not play a tank because its not a class I like. I dont plat healers as I do not like targetting my own people, as id rather Atone heal or Fistweave, but those are gimped and run out of mana too quickly.

Do we need other tank options? Honestly? Yes. Even though people say "all the people that want to tank are already playing a tank class", sorry but im not, and I want to tank. It gives an attractiveness to ones that didnt have it at first. Like how locks WERE the flavor of the month thanks to KJC, now we are losing the people that cant take nerfs. But Rogues, they have a very low population. But if blizz suddenly said "hey, they are now a duel weilding tank" i am sure people that were frost dk tanks from wotlk would go to that class. Its simply the attractiveness of being able to do multiple roles rather than actually doing them that makes people want to be them.