Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Difficulty of finding a character name

This issue is starting to get out of hand. I understand that there will be the people saying "Hurr durr while why don't you just pick something that hasn't been picked." Which leaves me to say that making the commitment to a character name you really aren't too sure about is a terrible idea. With so many people changing their names, and making alts, reserving names, etc. nearly any decent name on a high populated server is going to be taken. I believe that if a character has not been logged in for more than a year the name should be up for grabs and the character previously with the name should be forced with a rename. Or if the character does not make it past level 5 in 6 months the same rule should apply.

Or just let us have last names.

Deleted
    They should make it like in Neverwinter online.

You can choose any name and it would be displayed like this: <character name>@<Battletag>

I disagree. Once you lock it in, you should be allowed to keep it.

Maybe you should try to come up with an original name that you can enjoy? Or, maybe it would be cool if Blizz introduced mandatory first and optional last names. Then, you could have the same first name, but with a different last name (if you wanted to use a last name)? Maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Every name I have ever wanted on WoW I have gotten. Either it isn't taken or I make a ticket to get the name cleared and then take it the next day.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    I'm AWFUL with naming my characters. I'm highly considering just sticking to my main's name and just using amalgamations of it for my alts. In all fairness quite a few of my alts follow that pattern already (Meeria -> Meeriah -> Meemia -> Meeriá). At least makes my alts recognisable to people outside my guild. >.>

Oh and I came up with my main's name by combining a Finnish girls name Meeri with an A. So creative.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    If I wanted to be one of THOSE people, I would be. I cannot stand alt characters. And inb4 you reply with "Well don't know what you are complaining about then."

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyn View Post
    Every name I have ever wanted on WoW I have gotten. Either it isn't taken or I make a ticket to get the name cleared and then take it the next day.
    I've put in multiple tickets on some names and have always been denied.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I disagree. Once you lock it in, you should be allowed to keep it.

Maybe you should try to come up with an original name that you can enjoy? Or, maybe it would be cool if Blizz introduced mandatory first and optional last names. Then, you could have the same first name, but with a different last name (if you wanted to use a last name)? Maybe?
    An original name in an MMO is nearly non-exsistent. Say someone makes an account in BC and just goes on every high pop server and thinks of any good name possible and just creates a bunch of characters and never touches the account again, you think no one should still be allowed to use these names?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    They should make it like in Neverwinter online.

You can choose any name and it would be displayed like this: <character name>@<Battletag>
    Seems like the best course of action. I really don't understand how developers are still unable to let people pick whichever character/user name they want, using an additional ID to keep them apart just as with real people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I feel your pain. I just recently transfered from a low pop to a high pop and had to change the names of two of the three characters I moved. One was just a simply letter switch (using a K in place of a C) and the other I had to go with a different name. Usually when making alts though I don't have too much issue. I just keep switching letters around or adding vowels until I get one I like. Only theme names seem to all be taken but theme names loose their humor a few months down the road, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    I hate that crap. Makes it a pain to invite/mail/whisper them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    This issue is starting to get out of hand. I understand that there will be the people saying "Hurr durr while why don't you just pick something that hasn't been picked." Which leaves me to say that making the commitment to a character name you really aren't too sure about is a terrible idea. With so many people changing their names, and making alts, reserving names, etc. nearly any decent name on a high populated server is going to be taken. I believe that if a character has not been logged in for more than a year the name should be up for grabs and the character previously with the name should be forced with a rename. Or if the character does not make it past level 5 in 6 months the same rule should apply.
    Actually you can take the name from someone else, if his account has been inactive for at least three months. I've done it several times, two times this past week along with several people in my guild doing the same thing. Just make a ticket about it. You can see if the person with the name you want is or isn't active by checking his armory, since the achievements are account wide just check the recent history for the latest date and see if it was over three months ago, if so you're all good.

Deleted
    Perhaps a slightly altered version of your main's name? Just a suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with last names being a good method. Little more immersion/realism that way if some characters happen to share a first name. (Granted it runs the risk of someone liking a unique first name you own and deciding to use it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Actually you can take the name from someone else, if his account has been inactive for at least three months. I've done it several times, two times this past week along with several people in my guild doing the same thing. Just make a ticket about it. You can see if the person with the name you want is or isn't active by checking his armory, since the achievements are account wide just check the recent history for the latest date and see if it was over three months ago, if so you're all good.
    This exactly, did the same thing with my main that I transferred this week. I had the same name since TBC and it was claimed on my new server. Put in a ticket, name was released, voila.

Deleted
    its pretty easy to find a unique sounding name,
    My paladin on my old realm, and my mage on my new realm share the same name, However noone else is using the name according to warcraftrealms.com

Try using a Name generator, That's where I got Vomna from.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    My paladin on my old realm, and my mage on my new realm share the same name, However noone else is using the name according to warcraftrealms.com

The thread was about wanting specific names. If I wanted a random generated name, I would have done it. Also I'm not sure how some of you are getting these names by putting in tickets. Every time I have tried putting in a ticket the response was "Sorry we cannot take someone else's name" even though they hadn't logged in 2 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

It's not just about having a unique name though, some people have a certain name they prefer to go by, getting the message "that name is already taken" just because the game doesn't support multiple same names is kind of ridiculous considering how easy it would be to fix it. Several people having the same name is really not an issue, and if you think it is you should know that there are a lot of other people who share your real name.

Ive never had problems with my chosen name being taken. My trick is simple: Back in tbc when I started I came up with a "base" name for all my chars, in my case Kazi. Its easy to make new names out of it, and its "me" in a way. Kazimior, Kazimie, Kazimzia, Kazimourn, Kazimoon, Kazilunari, the possibilites are endless in such a base.
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Deleted
    The thread was about wanting specific names. If I wanted a random generated name, I would have done it. Also I'm not sure how some of you are getting these names by putting in tickets. Every time I have tried putting in a ticket the response was "Sorry we cannot take someone else's name" even though they hadn't logged in 2 years.
    That's strange, seems like the GM you contacted doesn't know their own rules. How many times did you try? I suggest you try again. The risk is that this particular person was still active on another character, for as long as the account is active you can't take any of his names.

Deleted
    That's because they are talking about the old days when they would still do it...now they only take away a name if it is on a trial account. It doesn't matter how long a character is not logged in on if it is on a paying account. GM's aren't allowed anymore to take names from subbers.

Anyone here saying otherwise is talking out of their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    That's strange, seems like the GM you contacted doesn't know their own rules. How many times did you try? I suggest you try again. The risk is that this particular person was still active on another character, for as long as the account is active you can't take any of his names.
    That's a different story, some of you made it sound like it was not logged on on a character for a year...it's the account activity that counts, not a character activity.