Did I miss the memo on Need before Greed especially with tanks?

Hi all. Glad to be part of the forum.

This has been an in issue in WoW since the game's existence, I know, but lately I have noticed something strange. It now seems way more than just the idiots who roll on gear they can't use or won't use. In fact, I would dare say that in the last month it is more the norm, than the exception, especially with tanks for some reason.

This was just yesterday...... tank "Needs" cloth gear.... tank "needs" leather gear... tank "Needs" a green fist weapon.

I know stuff like this has been going on since day one, but now it seems like it is what you do. Just need everything that you can need, regardless of the fact that there are players who might truly need it. Weird that I seem to see tanks doing way more than any other class, though. And, yes, I have a tank, so I am not biased against tanks.

Did I miss the memo? Or am I just getting in PUGS with greedy people? Have you noticed that happening more?

Maybe the tank in question needed it for his vendor spec, that's why I need on most of it.

Yep, greedy people.

It's very nice with bossloot that doesn't fall under any role or class restriction, like trinkets. Loved it when a warlock rolled on a STR trinket (BoP Bossdropp!) and WON it. It's not like my paladin needs these kind of things...

Just a random stupid person, really. Move along, keep on dungeoneering, ignore the trolls, live long and prosper.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

If you "NEED" gear from a five man at this point you are severely behind the curve. All I need is my goody bag and I roll dissenchant on anthing else, even items I could easily justify needing for my vendor set.

On the other hand maybe some tanks justify needing anything they can need on as payment for the labor they put into running random five mans with fresh players, undergeared players, dps that want to pull for them, etc.

Don't like it, vote him out. If he is performing, good luck with that.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    It's so called tank tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    It's so called tank tax.
    good one needsmoreletterstopost

If the dice light up, it's yours for the taking.

At least until they roll out the LFR looting system to dungeons, which is surely a a question of "when" rather than "if".

Considering all of the gear that the tank "needed" on I am guessing this is a complaint about low level dungeons (15-60 range). The itemization in pre-BC content was so poor Blizzard decided to just keep rolls open for everyone because chances are that level 45 cloth piece could actually be an upgrade over that level 27 plate armor.

Once you get into BC content the armor restrictions kick in and you shouldn't see this happening as much anymore.

As for the tank himself just place him on ignore and you will never be grouped with him again. This occurrence may be new to you but it has been happening since the beginning of WoW and is not going to change anytime soon.

When leveling my enhance shaman and hunter in Cataclysm, every single tank needed on an agility trinket or ring. Every.... Single.... Tank.....
    And I lost every roll.
    If they see the need button is enabled, they push it. End of story.

But say if you're playing a dps Death Knight and need on an item that has Strength, and 1 point of dodge on it. OMG the howling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    It's so called tank tax.
    See, LOL, that's what I kind of think it amounts to... and personally, I kind of get it, but not at the expense of players who actually will use the gear.

two guildmates of mine were in a dungeon when the other 3 people rolled need on everything they could..... turns out the other 3 were all from the same guild... so the 2 from my guild started rolling need on everything...... that is just "F'd".

10+ Year Old Account
    Had a healer do this while i was chain running instances on my 88 shaman. Dude rolled need on everything he could then DE everything at the end.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    See, LOL, that's what I kind of think it amounts to... and personally, I kind of get it, but not at the expense of players who actually will use the gear.

two guildmates of mine were in a dungeon when the other 3 people rolled need on everything they could..... turns out the other 3 were all from the same guild... so the 2 from my guild started rolling need on everything...... that is just "F'd".
    Also as a favor to guild members i will often need FOR them in order to enhance their chance of winning.

unfortunately when it comes to random groups, you have to always go with the douchebag rule - in other words, always assume everyone else in the group is a douchebag and will roll need on everything. especially if it is purple.

if in doubt, /loot will open up a lootroll window and allow you to see who has rolled on what, you can then feel free to call them out, tell them they suck or just suck it up and carry on.

you can always trade stuff with people who you feel are more deserving of the item, but in a lot of cases, people just roll for their vendor spec.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    Had a healer do this while i was chain running instances on my 88 shaman. Dude rolled need on everything he could then DE everything at the end.
    not as interested in your post as the witch in your signature. yowza

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    if in doubt, /loot will open up a lootroll window and allow you to see who has rolled on what, you can then feel free to call them out, tell them they suck or just suck it up and carry on.
    I did not know you could do that. Thanks. I miss being able to see everyone's rolls in chat.

Quote Originally Posted by PipChaos View Post
    I did not know you could do that. Thanks. I miss being able to see everyone's rolls in chat.
    I for one have that function shut off. If I could set to "auto de" I would. Five man should take ten minutes max and shutting down loot windows clutters my screen.

I did not know about /loot but am happy to have found out. Thanks.