10+ Year Old Account

Problems hosting Minecraft server

I posted this on the Minecraft Forums, but nobody has responded to it. Hoping I can get help here.

Long story short, I used to host a few small minecraft servers. I didn't for a few months, and was going to fire them up again. Nothing has changed since I hosted them previously, except that I got a new router. I've tried making a new server as well, and am running into the same issue of Minecraft not being able to detect the server.

I have port 25565 (which is also what's in my server.properties) open on 192.168.1.2, which is the internet address for my computer. When I open minecraft with the server running, it can't find the server.

Notably, when I ping that port/address on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports, my server log even SHOWS it's getting pinged. So obviously the connection is working.

Right now I am testing with server and client 1.5.1 (since thats what I was on last time it worked) however the problem is still present in 1.5.2.

Also, when I previously made the original post on the other forums... My server log would even show my computer pinging the server (but still couldnt find it). This behavior has since disappeared.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

you tried connecting to 198.162.1.2? I can connect to my external IP fine, but a friend of mine when he hosts cant, he has to enter his local address.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    you tried connecting to 198.162.1.2? I can connect to my external IP fine, but a friend of mine when he hosts cant, he has to enter his local address.
    Ah, yeah, forgot to mention that. My computer can see the server just fine on both 192.168.1.2, and 127.0.0.1.

EDIT: This is curious... I installed Client and Server on my more or less brand new laptop, and it is experiencing the same issue. Server seems to function fine, but that computer can't see its own server. BUT, my main computer (Which I'm posting from now) CAN see it.

EDIT2: Apparently my friend can ALSO connect to the server normally as well. But -I- can't. I'd really rather not have to run the server from my laptop, when my main system can handle it much better. Notably, the laptop cannot see itself either.

EDIT3: So I've -sort- of resolved this. I can connect to 192.168.1.2:25565, and my friends can connect to my external IP 68.xx.xx.101:25565. This is a functional workaround, but I'm still a bit baffled as to why I can't connect to my external address like I did before.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-06-19 at 07:22 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I had this issue few months ago and the work around that worked instantly was a DNS. Granted it isn't ideal but means you and your friends can have a connection that won't change.