10+ Year Old Account

Need help with possible Computer Upgrades.

Hey there!

A few days ago I bought the Mortal Kombat Komplete for computer as I love MK series and have waited for a computer release for a VERY long time. I was dissappointed though with my computer when trying the game. Even on lowest possible graphics it still sometimes lags and slows down in some fights. It made me think that it might be time for some upgrade for my computer since I don't think MK requires the most advanced computer hardware to play at least on lowest graphics.
    However I'm not really good with computers actually, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a pointer to what I should really upgrade. I myself think I really need to upgrade Graphic card, but I could use some insight from someone with more knowledge about this stuff than me
    My specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M
    Graphic card: GeForce 9500GT
    Memory: 2 * Corsair DDR2 667Mhz 2gb RAM
    Power Supply: 400w
    CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition 4*3,2Ghz 8MB total cache

These are all the specs I've written down on paper, so if you need more just say so, and maybe tell me how to check it

Thanks!
    Last edited by yoda608; 2013-07-08 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Had a spelling error in Head Line

What you are experiencing is a known bug with the game, nothing to do with your computer, the game slows down because it has some sort of fps forcing, which if it cant meet it acts weirdly, there are ways to fix it, google them, you have to edit the config file in %APPDATA% in the folder MMKE, i remembering reading about it on a torrent i checked last night but dont remember much more.

EDIT:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mortal_...mplete_Edition

Read there, "Slow Motion" is probably what you are experiencing, read up and test.

If its not that and you want to upgrade, give a budget.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-07-08 at 12:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for that info potis. But I have been thinking of upgrading my computer anyway. I'm hoping my graphics card is pretty much the only thing I REALLY need to upgrade, and on that I am willing to spend 100-150€, but might go up to 200€ if really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by yoda608 View Post
    Thanks for that info potis. But I have been thinking of upgrading my computer anyway. I'm hoping my graphics card is pretty much the only thing I REALLY need to upgrade, and on that I am willing to spend 100-150€, but might go up to 200€ if really necessary.
    Well if you are satisfied with that sure, but if you really wanna upgrade the GPU, i wouldnt waste too much, just enough to make sure its something new.

The obvious cheap choice for that price is a 650 Ti Boost

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/galaxy-...d-65igh7hx7cnh

At that price, i wouldnt give more than that for an old PC, you could get that one at 130$ and 2GB more of RAM if you manage to find them and should be more than fine.

Even cheaper upgrade choices, i would look into the 7770 GHz editions at ~85-90$ to save some money, 650 Ti Boost is marginally better but you really need more RAM also and old RAM can be expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were to even be able to afford to upgrade GPU AND RAM to 6 or even 8Gb, would the RAM upgrade help when using a 32-bit OS system? Because I was once told that on 32-bit systems it only "recognizes" up to 4Gb RAM or something like that.
    And what do you mean with getting "old RAM." Do I need to get older parts for RAM than the ones currently on market?

You are correct about the memory, 32bit OSs can only recognize 3Gb. As far as the "older" RAM, it just means they don't produce as much of that spec anymore, making it more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by yoda608 View Post
    If I were to even be able to afford to upgrade GPU AND RAM to 6 or even 8Gb, would the RAM upgrade help when using a 32-bit OS system? Because I was once told that on 32-bit systems it only "recognizes" up to 4Gb RAM or something like that.
    And what do you mean with getting "old RAM." Do I need to get older parts for RAM than the ones currently on market?

Your OS will recognize 3.3GB or so, doesnt mean you shouldnt get 4GB.

I just mean that the RAM you have is old and most shops dont have it, hence not easy to find, some shops have backups etc, just need to search..And trust me it will be a big upgrade from 2GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if I want to upgrade the RAM, then I HAVE to but something of same type as the old ones I have? I have 2 more spaces left on my motherboard for additional RAM cards or whatever. Do I have to do something special also to install Windows 7 64 bit on my system? Cause I think the Windows 7 box I bought contains both 32 bit and 64 bit version.

You would really be served by a total upgrade.

You could smoke your current set-up with a $400 - $500 investment.

How much are you willing to spend?