Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Any of you disc priests miss playing holy?

As I was holy for 8 years, and just recently switched to disc (5 months ago now), I feel a bit of nostalgia, I miss the raw healing power of it, I mean actually health being healed versus shielding for it, if you get what I mean. I was wondering if some of you disc priests would go back to holy, if only maybe Blizz changed something about it (or not)? I know when I transitionned from holy to disc, the staggering truth of disc op'ness was quite obvious, I'd say gaining at least 30% efficiency... but in a way it fell less priestly to just bubble people, as I had NEVER played disc before.

So, anyway... back to my question: any of you disc priests miss playing holy?

I have never specced Holy in my Priests Lifetime. He has always been Disc and always will be disc. I leveled him to play Disc, to me holy just seems boring and bland I mean its a healer with a spell called Heal how lame is that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I have never specced Holy in my Priests Lifetime. He has always been Disc and always will be disc. I leveled him to play Disc, to me holy just seems boring and bland I mean its a healer with a spell called Heal how lame is that.
    disc has 'heal' too so by that logic disc is lame too. Most discs i know play it because its easy. smite spam, SS when big shit is coming, Shield tanks every 12 sec. when i play disc i can literally have a friend come push smite the whole fight and go take a shit or something. I cant stand disc its boring i played disc in Wrath and it was boring then before atonement and mastery. "Heal the tank" i just stood still and spammed flash heal on the tank and moved out of stuff. Now and thru cata blizzards stance on healing is "you should never be topped off" its just a cushion that even they say is too strong. i prefer seeing my heals but with the new "blah blah healed (absorbs)" that cant be my reason. I just like holy more than disc. i have pretty much every spell disc has plus a ground heal, passive hots, tranq, and stronger heals

Holy and Disc are both pretty fun specs to play. When I started healing on my priest, Disc was purely a PvP spec, so I'd say I have a lot more raid healing experience with Holy as well. It's still pretty strong in several of the fights this tier, so why not switch to holy for them? You don't HAVE to play Disc for every fight. Council, Tortos, Megaera, Durumu, Iron Qon, and Twins are strong fights for Holy (25H), for instance. For 10H, Holy isn't as strong on Durumu or Twins, but the same is true for the other 3 fights. For normal modes.. really it doesn't matter. Play whatever you prefer. You can manage to get plenty of Holy playing in this tier!

Schwank, completely dismissing 1/3 of your class without ever even trying it seems silly. You're a priest. I'll never understand such strong spec loyalty and limitation, especially when it's not even to Shadow (so many people are afraid to heal so claim to be purely Shadow, which is also lame but more understandable). All 3 specs are a LOT of fun! And if you're a MS healer, having twice as many tools in your kit is incredibly powerful and something no other healer in the game can do.

Atm disc just feels more complex and fun while holy is just a great aoe healing bot. I wouldn't prefer holy if I had to choose between the two specs ; but I would like to play holy or disc depending on the encounter without dumping 10k gold a week for it.

Been holy since classic, always my main specc, most people i know who was holy that are now disc play it because it's more powerful, i find disc boring, ss shields smite spam it's just not fun at all for me but i do play it when its needed by my guild.

Too much comparing holy v disc topics, can't really compare them they have different playstyles , and some enjoy disc and some enjoy holy, but to call both specs boring they both can be fun to play and i do play both but my main has always been holy, my alt priest is disc so i get to play both specs equally.

I miss people wanting a holy priest in their groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just recently went back to holy(mostly because my guild is flooded with disc priests at the moment) and it is quite a refreshing change from the mindlessness of smite spam, SS before big incoming damage and shield tank every 12 seconds.

Honestly if you are doing less well as holy you are using too many healers because holy has unbelievable throughput where it will be mostly not overhealing. I switched this week for heroic progression on the second half of the instance essentially and I have no regrets, holy simply scales better with health and gear than disc does(plus level 90 talents are buffed by sanctuary chakra). You aren't constrained by slow casts and small windows of time to do extra work so you can do less to keep the raid alive than as holy with no cds, still have Divine Hymn(which scales with gear where barrier only scales with content) ready to go and have more instant burst heals than any spec but mistweaver and even they can't sustain it as long.

Especially any fight where you stack up divine star is really strong, on magera it looks like our monk used uplift twice on the whole raid when I toss it out. I've stuck with the same ish gearing I did as disc, Int and half int gems int trinkets food flask etc changing secondary priority to get the 4253(goblin) haste breakpoint and all mastery instead of mostly crit. With just about 47k sp raid buffed the strength of holy really shines with just how much one CoH, pom, divine star, or hymn can do. Guardian spirit doesn't have the problems it once did and lasts longer than pain supp does as well as scaling with tanks health and self healing among other things.

The way the meta game of heroic modes is changing over time and the way some of the fights in the next tier are looking I just feel even more confident in it's potential.

i dont really miss being holy but i do playholy time to time on LFR

holy just seems to be in better position in 25man than 10man (and i play 10man)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

It has always been a huge discussion on this spesific topic. Actually, sometimes it feels like priests even tend to discuss which specc is the harder to play. In my opinion, in most situation, if you only got 1 priest, then disc is stronger during progress (at most fights, but not everyone of course), just due to the fact that shielding is very helpful during progression. But it dosn't exclude holy priests from beeing strong, in fact, the raw healing from holy priests is incredible strong. Neither do I find disc easier to play, I do find smite healing simple of course, but the true power of the disc is as always, proper use of shields.

But to the topic question; nah, I dont really like holy. I don't know why, I just find disc healing unique, and holy less unique. But I do understand how it feels to play your main class with your main specc. No other class/specc will ever be the same

I tried disc for a while due to it being OP, and I never managed to feel it. Atonment was never my thing, nor absorbs. Its a very unique spec but I kept missing my CoH and DH and Lightwell. Holy might not be as unique as disc but it deffo feels more like a healer than disc does (disc feels like more of a support role, a dps/heal hybrid with powerful cds). I love watching the green bars going up, and seeing those huge numbers on the screen, and no class does this better than holy. Problem is like someone has mentioned here, I miss groups actually wanting a holy priest in their group. We were outcasts for the entire expansion.

When I'm playing disc, i feel like I'm not playing a healer because of atonement and smite it just feels more like a dps then a healer, i guess that's why i enjoy holy priest so much more, i have fun as holy but not when I'm disc, but for 10m holy isn't that great but for 25mans it can be really strong.

Looks like holy is getting a nerf on divine insight too let's hope it doesn't reach live

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Disc and Holy back in WotLK, before they put stances on Holy, which just didn't make sense considering they're now moving away from stance dancing in the other non-Druid classes.

I miss CoH, though.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

The last time I *really* played Holy was pre-Chakra. I haven't been able to get comfortable with the whole Chakra thing, so any time I've even tried dabbling, it felt stupid to me. I get that it should make me feel more powerful, but I frankly feel far more constrained.

I do miss the ability to HEAL people, though. Bubbles aside, I feel like I'm shooting BBs at a rhino when I need to use my healing spells.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

I enjoyed playing holy from wotlk till the end of cata. Now disc being alot more versatile than back then I can't see myself going back to holy anytime soon. Also the changes that have been made to healing in general, spot healing favoring smart healing etc. has killed holy for me. Discipline, being superior in utility but also feels so much more dynamic to my taste. Hope they would rework healing in encounters someway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    The last time I *really* played Holy was pre-Chakra. I haven't been able to get comfortable with the whole Chakra thing, so any time I've even tried dabbling, it felt stupid to me. I get that it should make me feel more powerful, but I frankly feel far more constrained.
    It's because IT IS restraining. Having to choose if you want to heal ST or AoE at one time is, yes - stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post

I do miss the ability to HEAL people, though. Bubbles aside, I feel like I'm shooting BBs at a rhino when I need to use my healing spells.

I think one person put it best, chakra doesn't feel like a healing gain, it feels like having one hand tied behind your back. You know what is F'd up about it. Disc can heal for higher non crit numeric value even with chakra, without wings.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. I created my priest knowing that I was going to be Disc (back in Ulduar), it was my very first alt, and the only times I went Holy was when MoP first launched. I've been Disc for a very long time, and even when people say "Disc sucks currently" I still stay disc and prove them wrong.
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Kacie View Post
    When I'm playing disc, i feel like I'm not playing a healer because of atonement and smite it just feels more like a dps then a healer, i guess that's why i enjoy holy priest so much more, i have fun as holy but not when I'm disc, but for 10m holy isn't that great but for 25mans it can be really strong.

Looks like holy is getting a nerf on divine insight too let's hope it doesn't reach live
    That change wasn't a nerf it was bad data mining, it was never 100% always been 40%.

They did buff the crappy(for pve) one disc gets though, because disc wasn't good enough in pvp already and shadow is still too over represented.

But yeah I do run 25 man so that is part of why I went back to holy from a 3 1/2 tier hiatus but I would say when 2 healing 10 man fights it does feel extremely good playing just the same way I do in 25 mans just divine hymn and divine star aren't quite as potent(although proportionally they are). Haven't seen any heroic 10 man though since once you do 25 heroic you cant do 10 heroic in that lockout so its usually just a few bosses people could use thunderforged pieces off that we clear out quick but like iron qon and twins I felt like I could have solo healed, I did just under 70% of the healing with someone's holy pal off spec and still had plenty of mana at the end of both and if he was ret it would have died waaaaaaaaay faster.

but in any case you can't miss being holy if you try it out!