Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wrathion is a member of a species that is incredibly long-lived, tremendously powerful and hyper-intelligent, among other features. To think that his morality or ethics would be like ours is probably a poor assumption. I may be giving Blizzard writers more credit than they deserve but I hope they recognize that about the character. Dragons live for hundreds, sometimes thousands of years (depending upon the fantasy setting). They're insanely powerful with alien thoughts and motivations. They would play long games that a human is not even capable of comprehending. They can pull off long cons that would span periods of time longer than the existence of entire civilizations. Their entire concept of chance and probability would be foreign to a human being because of the length of their lives. Events that would be likely to never happen in the span of a human's life would be a guaranteed occurrence in a dragon's.

In short: they idea of an dragon is completely alien to a human and his ethics and morality would probably be so as well. Is he shady? I think so. Does it mean he is "evil?" No, lots of shady people mean well. Humans, to a dragon, would be akin to what livestock and domestic pets are to humans. Does the dog or the cow ask if a human is "evil?"

Honestly has he actually done anything "morally wrong" or "ethically grey", I see this spouted a lot but I haven't seen any evidence of him doing this outside of Blizzard describing his character.

I want to see him killing innocent people for the greater good

Anduin knows Wrathion is not a good man. He says that he is "too honest" or something like that... you can see that when they talk together...

and yeah... Wrathion sure is not a "hero" like we imagine him to be.

Homophobia is so gay.

It's 2013 and yet we still have a bunch of hicks in here suspecting him just because he's BLACK. Shameful

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrathion is what you would call an Anti-Hero. Hes not evil, not by a long shot.

Wrathion could pull an Aizen. Died when the Legion first strikes then be found out to have been in control of bring the Legion to Azeroth.Become the villian at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    He seems lawful neutral (his law, neutral to our morality) to me.

I think he could be a good bad guy/bad good guy quite well. One who views the world as the chess board.

We may think it's horrible for him to sacrifice 1000 lives today, but he sees it as preventing 10,000 deaths in a decade. There's a lot to work with if he's supposed to be the "long term big picture" type because you can twist his "evils" by looking at the reality of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" taken to the nth degree.
    He seems to border Lawful Evil (ends justify the means) and Chaotic Neutral (destroy anything that stands in your way) at times. He really hasn't fit a mold all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    He seems to border Lawful Evil (ends justify the means) and Chaotic Neutral (destroy anything that stands in your way) at times. He really hasn't fit a mold all the time.
    That's Chaotic Evil, not Chaotic Neutral. It also really doesn't fit Wrathion, he's far from indiscriminately destroying everything in his way.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Future Warcheif of the horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Anduin knows Wrathion is not a good man. He says that he is "too honest" or something like that... you can see that when they talk together...

and yeah... Wrathion sure is not a "hero" like we imagine him to be.
    That doesn't mean he "knows" Wrathion is not a good man. It just means he doesn't really trust him. And that's understandable, as Wrathion does convince the player to assist him in various things while offering rewards. (actually, the way I phrased that sounds like EVERY QUEST GIVER IN THE GAME XD)

From the WoWWiki: Black dragons were once earth-warders, caring for stone and mountain using their formidable abilities to cause the rise and fall of terrain. They were to watch as the world of Azeroth changed and to maintain the boundaries and lines of delineation between the races so that none would fall to war over land. They maintained this purpose for a time, living in relative harmony with the other races and shaping the land to better use. In those peaceful times, their leader was known as Neltharion, and his wisdom and power were renowned.

Wrathion definitely loves Azeroth, that's fairly clear. As the first uncorrupted black dragon in a long time, I'd like to see him not wind up a villain.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

He seems to be very suspicious, so I'll say he'll be a villain in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think he will be a character like Illidan was a bit...of a risk taker, but he did things 'for the greater good'. He did not mean to do bad things, but that is how everything just turned out. I see Wrathion end up doing the same thing.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Serissa View Post
    He is manipulator actually :P

He says "go there" - you go. He says "bring me xxx stuff" - you go. If next patch he will say "go farm 1'000'000 critters" you will mindlessly farm it. Am I wrong? Wrong?
    Maybe you, I just /spit into his face, turn around and leave.

I think making Wrathion a villain would be incredibly boring writing on Blizzard's part. Nothing wrong with an anti-hero. I think he has Azeroth's best intentions at heart - he just has questionable methods. That said, Malygos had the best of intentions and look where he ended up.

And I don't get all the posters assuming he's bad just because he's a black dragon. Before the Old Gods' corruption they were just like any of the other flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    And I don't get all the posters assuming he's bad just because he's a black dragon. Before the Old Gods' corruption they were just like any of the other flights.
    I dont assume he is bad, I just want that little whore dead, and the only way Blizzard kills someone is by turning them comicaly evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    During the first part of the legendary, he says based on your faction, something along the lines of don't worry my interests reside with your _____ (Horde or Alliance). Now granted the easy explanation might just be well they did that because it wouldn't make sense any other way. But why even put that in there then? I think he's manipulating both sides.
    just because the Alliance and Horde are at war doesn't mean there aren't things that could be in the best interests of both sides (for example: killing Garrosh)

so far throughout world of warcraft the biggest threat to either faction has not ever actually been the other faction.

Deleted
    My angle is that he is now the sole remaining aspect, though thats probably me being misnformed. I see him as a sort of Pratchetts Havelock Vetinari. Everyone arguing in a messy situation whilst he quietly does his own thing. As a black dragon he is still very much connected to Azeroth, playing the role of gardener to trim errand branches to grow a strong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    It's hard for him to appear to be anything but a villain, but I hope Blizzard doesn't squander the last of the Black Dragonflight by making him a villain, like the rest of his flight.
    Sabellion says hello.

Dude is far from evil.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Wrathion is what you would call an Anti-Hero. Hes not evil, not by a long shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I think making Wrathion a villain would be incredibly boring writing on Blizzard's part. Nothing wrong with an anti-hero. I think he has Azeroth's best intentions at heart - he just has questionable methods. That said, Malygos had the best of intentions and look where he ended up.

Seriously? I have never said he was evil. You don't need to be evil to be a boss. Also villain and anti hero aren't mutually exclusive, a character can easily be both a villain and an anti hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think his more "Protect by using the evil that is attacking" Using there own forces against them. I am willing to bet some time in the future us and him work out some way to control parts of the legion forces.
    Aye mate