Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is 5.4 the last tier?

As far as I can recall Blizz. has been pretty clear about 5.4 being the last raid tier this expansion. So I wonder why the ambiguity in the language of the new "Ahead of the Curve" achievement:

"Ahead of the Curve: Garrosh Hellscream (10 player) Defeat Garrosh Hellscream on 10-Player Normal difficulty, prior to the release of the next tier of content.Reward: Reins of the Kor'kron War Wolf."

Compare to this tier's version:

"Defeat Lei Shen in Throne of Thunder on Normal difficulty, prior to the release of patch 5.4," which specifies the patch explicitly. The earlier versions were similarly specific about the deadline, requiring players to clear the tier, "before the release of "Throne of Thunder."

Probably this is reading way too much into things but since they have been pretty clear about 5.4 being the end of MoP's last tier, why not say,

"Ahead of the Curve: Garrosh Hellscream (10 player) Defeat Garrosh Hellscream on 10-Player Normal difficulty, prior to the release of patch 6.0."

To be clear, I have no skin in the game one way or the other; I would be fine with an extra raid before the release of the next expansion, and I'd be fine with 5.4 being the last tier of MoP, I just thought it was odd

saying prior to 6.0 makes it mandatory for 6.0 to be after 5.4. by not saying it it gives them freedom to do whatever they want

I would believe so, but i'm betting there's going to be something leading into the next expansion prior to 6.0. Granted, deathwing gave us no hints at pandaria, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    saying prior to 6.0 makes it mandatory for 6.0 to be after 5.4. by not saying it it gives them freedom to do whatever they want
    Exactly, it is this ambiguity which I find interesting. However, I also know that they are already working on the next expansion and have been for some time, which means they must also be working on a raid tier between 5.4 and 6.0 (if one is to exist). They aren't "leaving it open to possibility" this late in the game. They are either planning another tier or not. Now this word choice could just be accidental ambiguity or it could be a choice so as not to reveal that they are going to go against what they had previously stated and have another raid between 5.4 and 6.0.

Because if they do this for future achievements, the language of "until next tier" is already established for consistency. Having the "6.0" language established wouldn't make sense when the 6.2 raid tier comes out.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like it's meant to differentiate between another patch as part of the 'Mists of Pandaria' tier of content, and the next expansion which would be another tier of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Leare315 View Post
    I would believe so, but i'm betting there's going to be something leading into the next expansion prior to 6.0. Granted, deathwing gave us no hints at pandaria, so there's that.
    Yea there are pre-expansion event patches, or we might have another smaller patch like 5.1 and 5.3, but this says "the next tier of content". The former two kinds of patches are not tiers.

---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Because if they do this for future achievements, the language of "until next tier" is already established for consistency. Having the "6.0" language established wouldn't make sense when the 6.2 raid tier comes out.
    They used the language "before the release of patch 5.4" for the current achievement, which I already pointed out.

The first tier of the next expansion would still be considered the next tier of content.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The first tier of the next expansion would still be considered the next tier of content.
    Agreed... why not say that then? Why not be consistent with the language and say: "Before the release of patch 6.0" or "Before the next expansion"

Saying "before the next tier of content" leaves it open to either be the first tier of the next expansion or another (actual final) tier in this expansion.

There still will be a patch 5.5 without a new raid but introducing the pre-events for the next 6.0 addon and a major nerf to 5.4 content (so even casuals can finish their quests and get their gear before the next expansion hits the shelfs). They did that since Burning Crusade (remember when Sunwell suddenly became a joke?)
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    There still will be a patch 5.5 without a new raid but introducing the pre-events for the next 6.0 addon and a major nerf to 5.4 content (so even casuals can finish their quests and get their gear before the next expansion hits the shelfs). They did that since Burning Crusade (remember when Sunwell suddenly became a joke?)
    You'd call that the "next tier"?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what we know SoO is the last Raid Tier, but may not be the last Patch of MoP.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Agreed... why not say that then? Why not be consistent with the language and say: "Before the release of patch 6.0" or "Before the next expansion"

Saying "before the next tier of content" leaves it open to either be the first tier of the next expansion or another (actual final) tier in this expansion.
    I suspect it's intentional ambiguity for ambiguity's sake, not because they have a secret raid tier planned between now and the next expansion.

There will be a 5.5 patch for "filler", but as for raid content yes 5.4 is the last. I doubt blizzard will do anything like Ruby Sanctum ever again.

Keep in mind that 6.0 will be released before the next expansion releases. There will effectively be two 6.0's: 6.0 at 90 with all the base game changes, and 6.0 at 95 with all the new expansion-exclusive content. Thus, stating that Garrosh must be defeated prior to 6.0 would be misleading. They will likely still allow players to earn the achievement up to the release of the expansion, generally a full month after a content patch changes the version number. In this case, it'd be more accurate to use the wording they have used on the PTR.

If anything, this is an indication that 5.4 is the last raid tier of Mists. Otherwise, if they had plans for a fourth raid tier, they would likely have said "prior to the release of patch 5.6" or something to that effect.
    Last edited by Soulless Cynic; 2013-06-20 at 10:35 PM.

There'll be the usual transition to the next expansion patch at 6.0. That patch won't be the next raid tier. We will have chances at Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge achieves in the next expansion pre-patch.

Patch 6.0 wouldn't make sense. We always get the "expansion" patch before the actual expansion.

Ex: 2.0 Before the Storm, 3.0 Echoes of Doom, 4.0 The Shattering and 5.0. None of those let you do the raid content right away so by logic neither will 6.0.

So think of it like this, the only thing they could say it's in the next expansion is saying the expansion name. Which is not even trademarked yet. It's just easier to say the next tier.

If anything, this is an indication that 5.4 is the last raid tier of Mists. Otherwise, if they had plans for a fourth raid tier, they would likely have said "prior to the release of patch 5.6" or something to that effect.
    ^ This too

Ahead the Curve: Lei Shen: Defeat Lei Shen in Throne of Thunder on Normal difficulty, prior to the release of patch 5.4.

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=8...curve-lei-shen

Yes you're right, you're reading into this WAY too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    5.4 -> New raid tier
    5.5 -> Pre-patch to the new expansion
    6.0 -> Expansion (+ new raid tier), Ahead of the Curve: Garrosh Hellscream if you cleared the raid before this tier (6.0).

What's not clear about what they mean? Even if after 5.5 there is another MoP raid tier, what they said still stands true. A new expansion brings a new tier in raiding anyway so "Ahead of the Curve: Garrosh Hellscream (10 player) Defeat Garrosh Hellscream on 10-Player Normal difficulty, prior to the release of the next tier of content. Reward: Reins of the Kor'kron War Wolf." Gives absolutely NO indication if there will be another content patch or the next expansion. A new tier is a new tier, patch or expansion.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2013-06-20 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Heroics are heroics for a reason.. if you cant do heroics, you cant raid.. its the proper path...
    ...Blizzard has gone the mile and added LFR for those people, but nerfing normal and hc modes is just plain stupid. The Burning Legion didn't get pushed back by lining up a thousand arcane mages spamming AB. It took work work work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post

Maybe because they actually mean it, and it will not end until the next expansion is released? (which, if prior expansions are any indication, will happen some time after 6.0)