Elemental Shaman Advice

Hey everybody. I am new to the site and I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with an issue that i have. I am currently a Elemental Shaman with an ilvl of 516. For some reason my dps seems to be a bit low for that ilvl. i am doing about 90-95k sustained. I have been doing all my research to figure out if i am reforged right/ and have the right gems and enchants. it seems like i have everything correct. Also i from what i have been reading my rotation seems correct as well. My haste is sitting at 17.81% and my mastery is 46.85%. is my haste too low? also if anybody could take a look at my gear and see if maybe i am overlooking something i'd appricate it. Thanks

my character's name is valmund on the illidan server

Deleted
    Without WoL they can't really help you

armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lmund/advanced
    wol : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8...um/damageDone/

looking at armory seems fine at your level of gear (maybe change the leg enchant to crit/intel as you're overcapped).

according to wols : flame shock uptime is waay too low, aim at 98+%, you're at 75-85%. On a fight you even casted ascendance at the pull without casting flame shock before, and only casted flame shock after ascendance ended. That's bad !
    Also, you're not paying enough attention to elemental blast. Either use it on cd, or take primal elementalist. Beware fire elemental cd (on a fight your earth elemental has higher uptime than fire one !). Learn when to glyph and not glyph it.
    Finally, be carfull with stormlash totem, you're not using enough, and more often than not you cast it at the same time than the resto shaman, and that's bad. Ask to place yours first (at pull), then tell him when it's ended so he can drop his, 5mn later drop it again and warn the resto once it faded.
    You also totally forgot about potions. You should use the +4000int ones, use one just before the pull (ask for a countdown if you don't already make one), and another one when you cast ascendance and you have some trinket procs on top of it (ideally, when fire elemental is also active)
    Also I didn't checked this last point on wols so I don't know if you did it correctly or not, but as long as you don't have 4pt15, you should be able to keep ascendance in sync with your war's skull banner, so make sure he uses his banner at the same time that you use ascendance

I guess you don't have a working interface yet and that's what's causing you to "miss" so many cooldowns/having bad uptimes globally. Try getting Endus' aura (or make your own ones), and practice hitting a dummy for a few minutes (while running everywhere if possible) to get the timing right. If you pay enough attention to your rotation at the beginning and keep practicing, you should end by "getting the hang of it", and should have waaay better uptimes (and dps) with little effort.
    Last edited by Bethan; 2013-06-21 at 12:28 AM.

also gear scales stupidly, my shaman is ilvl 544 i can do 150k dps sustained.....without a single cooldown, with cooldown it's quite easy to hold 190-200k dps, that's huge from considering we're only 28 item levels apart although the legendary meta gem is going to boost your dps probably tons it procs the most for elemental out of all the casters, although some is probably rotational things someone has already said how you can improve.

and yes i'd grab more haste, my shaman is 52% mastery and 35.5% haste still gemming int, int/haste, int spirit in R,Y,B sockets respectively.

oh yeah, forgot one point, you're currently specced Elemental mastery but I never say you using it on wols. I'd take Echo of the Element (which is most of the time the talent that increase most your dps, and you don't have anything to do ! )

and yes i'd grab more haste, my shaman is 52% mastery and 35.5% haste still gemming int, int/haste, int spirit in R,Y,B sockets respectively.
    I have gear that's quite similar than you (542ilevel, 55.8% mastery, 37% haste, gemming haste or mastery), and the stat weight ratio int/mastery is still ~1.7, so gemming haste or mastery is (way) better in my case, are you sure it's not in yours ? Also don't forget he's got only one RPPM trinket (and the other is a haste proc), and don't have the metagem, so given his ilevel I'm pretty convinced int is still his best stat to gem for. And I can't see anywhere where he could gain extra haste, so he's actually already "stacking haste" as much as he reasonably can (given his gear), just that as you stated, gear scales pretty fast...

Without legendary metagem:
    Haste > Mastery > Crit

With legendary metagem:
    Mastery Target = ( Haste + Mastery - 4204) / 2
    Haste Target = Mastery Target + 4204

-------

Make sure you are mutli-dotting FS if possible on the fight for xtra lvb procs, besides that it's an extremely simple roatation, just make sure you are hitting your priority spells and keeping a fire totem up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacc View Post
    Without legendary metagem:
    Haste > Mastery > Crit

With legendary metagem:
    Mastery Target = ( Haste + Mastery - 4204) / 2
    Haste Target = Mastery Target + 4204

-------

Make sure you are mutli-dotting FS if possible on the fight for xtra lvb procs, besides that it's an extremely simple roatation, just make sure you are hitting your priority spells and keeping a fire totem up.
    Thanks for, like, attribution & stuff

Quote Originally Posted by binkenstein View Post
    Thanks for, like, attribution & stuff
    I've used Simcraft for my current gem/reforge strat but I'm wondering... What exactly does it mean when after a certain point (4204) haste=mastery? Does this simply mean keep them around the same value? Are you ok gemming pure haste or pure mastery or do you want to split the gems up?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ellor/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    I've used Simcraft for my current gem/reforge strat but I'm wondering... What exactly does it mean when after a certain point (4204) haste=mastery? Does this simply mean keep them around the same value? Are you ok gemming pure haste or pure mastery or do you want to split the gems up?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ellor/advanced
    Use the formula. You want to have ~4204 more haste than mastery (although once you include the mastery aura it's actually 1204)

Quote Originally Posted by binkenstein View Post
    Use the formula. You want to have ~4204 more haste than mastery (although once you include the mastery aura it's actually 1204)
    Bink, I have read that post where you talked about the 4204 more haste. Just wanna ask how you got those numbers. Because when I tried simming, full haste always yielded a noticeable (4Kish) DPS increase over the mixed haste/mastery combo you're suggesting. Am I missing something?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...domeo/advanced

Nonetheless I have put some mastery gems on my newer pieces of gear anyways since we just downed H prim and H Duru a few weeks back and Chain Lightning was strongest on those fights.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    What sorts of fights are you simming? Patchwerk or light/heavy movement?
    Mastery does (substantially) outperform haste in AoE fights, which is why stacking haste sky-high is not optimal. Having a balanced build splits the difference between single-target and AoE. If you can afford to regem and reforge (and possibly re-enchant) for every fight, you can stack whichever works best for the given fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    Bink, I have read that post where you talked about the 4204 more haste. Just wanna ask how you got those numbers. Because when I tried simming, full haste always yielded a noticeable (4Kish) DPS increase over the mixed haste/mastery combo you're suggesting. Am I missing something?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...domeo/advanced

Nonetheless I have put some mastery gems on my newer pieces of gear anyways since we just downed H prim and H Duru a few weeks back and Chain Lightning was strongest on those fights.
    For starters, it's a rough guideline. Secondly, you're a Troll, so Berserking is going to affect how haste behaves, but if you've gone "full haste" at the moment you're fairly close to the guideline anyway. Also, this guideline is for Echo/EB builds, while you're running Echo/PE which will boost haste/crit and deflate mastery somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikoraimi View Post
    What sorts of fights are you simming? Patchwerk or light/heavy movement?
    Mastery does (substantially) outperform haste in AoE fights, which is why stacking haste sky-high is not optimal. Having a balanced build splits the difference between single-target and AoE. If you can afford to regem and reforge (and possibly re-enchant) for every fight, you can stack whichever works best for the given fight.
    Light movement. The actual difference between haste & mastery is minimal so a balanced approach is the best of both worlds