Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So... apparently mages needed some buffs?

It's not April Fools day is it?

Talents

Frost Bomb now deals 70% damage to players (up from 60%).
    Living Bomb now deals 85% damage to players (up from 70%).
    Nether Tempest now deals 85% damage to players (up from 70%).
    Temporal Shield now also reduces damage taken by 15% while active in addition to existing effects.

Glyphs

Glyph of Blink now increases distance travelled with the Blink spell by 8 yards (up from 5 yards).
    Glyph of Remove Curse now increases the damage dealt by 15% after successfully removing a curse (up from 10%).
    Glyph of Spellsteal now heals the Mage for 5% of their maximum health after successfully stealing a spell (up from 3%).
    Frost

Mastery: Frostburn has been redesigned. Fingers of Frost now increases the damage of Ice Lance by an additional 2%, Brain Freeze increases the damage of the instant cast Frostfire Bolt by 2%, and damage done by the Mage's Water Elemental is increased by 2%.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/101...6_20_2013#mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Notes from the other day:

Frost Bomb is now strongest when it can hit 5 or more targets with the explosion.
    Living Bomb is now strongest when applied to 1 or 2 targets.
    Nether Tempest is now strongest when applied to 3 or 4 targets.

Mastery: Frostburn no longer gives bonus damage to all spells against frozen targets. Now Fingers of Frost now increases the damage of Ice Lance by an additional 16%, and Brain Freeze increases the damage of the instant Frostfire Bolt by 16%.

Guessing (hoping) that was the reason for the changes.
    Last edited by Tucci; 2013-06-21 at 05:18 AM.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Well I don't know what's with the slight tweaks to the bombs, possibly just an adjustment taking scaling into account.

The glyphs are clearly intended to make some shitty glyphs more attractive so people might actually take them.

Don't know enough about the Mastery to know if that is even a buff or just a redesign to make it make more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Changes seem fine to me. None of those glyph changes make a big difference, Temporal Shield nobody took, and the bombs didn't do any real damage in PvP since the Frost Bomb nerf. Don't have any problems with any of these changes. Then again, I've never found Mages to be particularly hard to deal with (aside from when Frost Bomb could one shot you, of course)

That's a view outside of the context - we don't know whether resiliance buff incomming or what's in store for other classes. Atm take for example feral/hunt/priest - it's an absolute nightmare for everyone, but especially for mages who get forced to block in a blink of an eye. Imo atm mages are balanced - burst takes setup, can be shut down, most popular heal hardcounters their main defence cd (if played right and knows when to mass dispell). Although i would say that atm all casters are balanced compared to hunter zerg cleaves exept for elem shamans who sometimes nuke out of nowhere. So tbh it's to early to cry that sky is falling.

These aren't really buffs. The bombs is a buff for sure but the others are to make talents/glyphs that are bad more attractive.

In fact, the mastery change is quite a big nerf. It only affects their instant cast spells when they have procs which is neutral for pve raiding. However since their mastery no longer affects frozen orb, their bombs, ice lances without fingers of frost, and frostbolt, it means they can do MUCH less damage in a deep freeze or in a root.

It is a huge nerf and honestly I would say it could be too much. Mages stack mastery for pvp to do as much damage as possible in their shatters. Now for mages to burst, it requires procs.

Blizzard is starting to put RNG into burst, and thats fine, burst is only out of hand when you can just spam instants anytime you want to burst, the only classes i would let have on demand burst would be melee classes because they are sorely lacking in niche right now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Changes seem fine to me. None of those glyph changes make a big difference, Temporal Shield nobody took, and the bombs didn't do any real damage in PvP since the Frost Bomb nerf. Don't have any problems with any of these changes. Then again, I've never found Mages to be particularly hard to deal with (aside from when Frost Bomb could one shot you, of course)
    Bombs still hurt alot a good frost bomb still hits 120k plus.

OT i think the mastery change is to make balancing easier since all they need to tweak is icelance, it seems like they are doing the right thing, since fmages had pretty much the sickest mastery as when it comes to setting up burst. The bomb buff is a bit weird, nether tempest does more dmg than all my aff dots combined,

mastery is nerfing them a ton, so these arent really buffs. the frostbomb thing about it hitting multiple targets is just a tooltip change( the multi target thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Don't know enough about the Mastery to know if that is even a buff or just a redesign to make it make more sense.
    It's a redesign to shift damage from on demand burst to sustained. Overall a nerf. The pvp buffs to bombs and tempest only slightly cancel out the changes to the mastery. The only buff here is the 15% reduced damage taken with Temporal shield. No one seriously used those glyphs before these changes, and few will now as well (QoL changes).
    Last edited by openair; 2013-06-23 at 03:32 PM.

Yeah the mastery change as it stands is probably overboard nerf wise since frost mages are pretty much only dangerous to your health during DF and or orb with lots of procs and now that isn't going to hit very hard.

Oh Jesus, another qq thread posted by an OP so anxious to log in and whine that he didn't actually consider the reasons for the changes.

Did you even consider understanding the changes before jumping in here to cry?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think my tick bombs do 8k a tick in pvp and frost bomb is going to suck flat out.Spell steal is kind of pointless to use anymore, Remove curse sometimes, if any. Blink, a whole 3 yards isnt anything to get excited about.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    It's a redesign to shift damage from on demand burst to sustained. Overall a nerf. The pvp buffs to bombs and tempest only slightly cancel out the changes to the mastery. The only buff here is the 15% reduced damage taken with Temporal shield. No one seriously used those glyphs before these changes, and few will now as well (QoL changes).
    For PvE boss fights, there is no change at all in the mastery change. In situations where you could, say, freeze certain adds (I don't think there were any in T15) its a dps nerf. For PvP, its a fairly large burst nerf, as you no longer do extra damage to frozen targets.

Personally, I hope they change mastery to include Frostbolt damage. This would be a sizable PvE buff (Frost is currently last on the mage meters, and a bit below middle of the pack if I remember correctly), and would help Frost sustained in PvP (No more huge burst. but more sustained.)

The Temporal Shield change just got better for certain mechanics (Most AoE in PvE boss fights. 15% DR on Ji-kun's quills+4 of the 8 seconds fully healed=half Quills damage negated, for instance. Can also be better for certain burst damage, such as interupting jolt on Animus, ect.) Its also more decent for PvP, as its a mini barkskin during a stun, or w/e.

I wonder if 15% for 10 seconds will help to cancel out the loss of 1 GCD? Eh.. Higher burst for PvP vs a Warlock anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you happen to see the mastery nerf? Apparently it was pretty big.

Deleted
    Mages got nerfed into the ground with that mastery change. For those who don't know, frostbolt/frostbomb/frozen orb will no longer benefit from mastery on frozen targets. That's 45% less damage for a geared mage on frozen targets on their hardest hitting spells.That means instead of ~100k frostbombs and ~70k frost bolts, we will now do ~60k frostbombs and ~30k frost bolts into frozen targets. The only viable thing to do if these nerfs stick will be to spec into Living Bomb or Nether Tempest and spam instants that will never score a kill. Basically, they completely gutted mages.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2013-06-23 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the mastery change seems like a rather big nerf, I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to buff the scaling of it, which will mean that ice lance, instant frost bolts and the pet will actually see a buff in damage.

More of a side step than a nerf. removing some burst, but using living bomb gets a higher overall damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    While the mastery change seems like a rather big nerf, I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to buff the scaling of it, which will mean that ice lance, instant frost bolts and the pet will actually see a buff in damage.
    I don't expect scaling will change. I'm pretty sure frost mages are decently competitive in PvE right now, so they're unlikely to see any throughput changes that will affect that. If the mastery change is too crippling for PvP, they'll probably just unnerf bombs a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Which is far worse because spammable instant uncounterable burst is far more annoying than big frostbolts and frost bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15