10+ Year Old Account

About to hit 90, Not sure what path to take

Hey.

Short and Sweet I'm about to hit 90 on my first mage ever and I'm extremely confused on what Spec I should go. I know you need a certain amount of haste in order to be decent at fire and not sure of much else regarding. I just thought it would be easier to ask what path to take so I can start gearing the right way off the bat. Thanks

You don't need haste for Fire, but you will need a huge amount of crit of Fire. This is absolutely not reachable if you are fresh 90. Huge amount means something like 40%. And even the I would say specs are not that far apart from each other. Maybe you will see some different numbers in high end T15 (540+), but no big difference before. I would recommend you to go Frost with max haste. Have a look Kunis Frost mage guide. It is sticky on the mage forum here and provides all the information you really need for Frost.

I'd recommend starting off as frost, then make the switch to fire when you have the proper level of crit.

Definitely start as Frost. It's good for low gear levels and it's also very strong DPS for heroic dungeons.

Play the spec you find the most fun because the small differences in damage are completely meaningless unless you're a heroic raider. Once you decide on a spec go look up the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Crete View Post
    Play the spec you find the most fun because the small differences in damage are completely meaningless unless you're a heroic raider. Once you decide on a spec go look up the guides.
    Except Fire is virtually unplayable and not fun without a large amount of Crit.

Even if you factor out damage, Crit is a huge part of Fire's fun. Spamming Fireball is not fun. Pyroblasts are fun.

If you enjoy standing still spamming a single spell, then Arcane is for you instead.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

frost is good, you'll be doing heroic dungeons and lfr raids for the most part. and frost excells at both of those. mostly cause u can kill trash fast and therefore do dungeons faster. anyway. i wouldnt recommend arcane as its shit now and fire is super gear based. so just stay frost.

Frost 'till you get enough gear to make fire better. frost is still good but fire -- if well played -- will blow frost away.

Frost! way to go!