Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nobody "chosses lfr over raid guilds" because there´s no decision to be made, since both aren´t exclusive. Stop these lfr qq threads, really.

LFR is an option for those who don´t want to or can´t raid on a schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarM View Post
    People talk like commit to raid is a thing from another world..
    If you play soccer, you commit with your friends to play 1/2/3 day as week 2 hours. People commit cause they really like play soccer.
    If you play poker, you commit to play the game with your friends.

Any social game, you need to commit, the only difference is that WoW is a virtual game. If you like to raid, you need to commit. You can't just appear one day, expecting that people remove someone from their team (in any game), to put you in the place, and you leave when you want.

I understand people that do LFR because they were raiders, and can't raid anymore. But don't fool yourself that LFR is real raiding. The point of raid is to push yourself and your guildies to become better players. Execute a strategy with almost perfection. DAT kill when one healer dies, and you heal the raid alone for almost an entire phase. You know you play well when you beat an Heroic boss that almost nobody kills. When loot just become a tool to beat harder bosses.

What i don't undertand is people that never raided, or tried 1 or 2 times, failed, and keep playing the game, doing LFR. Do LFR and pretending that you are raiding is the same thing that that you fu** an sex doll pretend that you are having sex. You are just fooling yourself.

When I don't have time to raid or just don't wanna (didn't raid T11 and stopped in the middle of T14), I simple stopped playing. Why the damn I ll play the game just to do LFR? Probably, if my account is active, I will do one more time to see the Lore, no more. Raiders use loot to progress through on harder bosses. Why a person that farm LFR uses his gear? To do the next LFR? that people will 1 shot almost every boss anyway, regardless gear?
    I hate when people compare video games to sports just because there's something called e-"sports". GAMES ARE NOT SPORTS. In a sport, even if you play competitively and lose a game, you still gain physical activity, real social interaction with people, chance to see things, get noticed, fuck a girl who thinks you're cute in uniform, etc.

In WoW raiding you either a: kill the boss b: don't kill the boss and spend your entire night in a chair clicking a mouse. Sure, it's fun to listen to guildmates if you're blessed with mature people who have interesting/funny things to talk about, but otherwise you gain nothing out of it.

Commitment vs Rewards in games and sports are not the same thing, so stop using this example!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    A lot of anti-LFR people keep saying that players are leaving raiding guilds because they can get the same stuff in LFR. What you actually get in LFR is;

Healer 10-15 min queue, Dps 20-60 min queue.
    I do other things while in queue.

Potential of;
    tank fail due to pvp gear
    Heal fail due to healers being in dips spec because they were too good for dps queues.
    I think I've seen the tank in pvp gear thing once, and never noticed a healer in dps spec.

DPS fail because of not following the mechanics that they know better than to do (AOE on DWing thumb)
    Unenchanted/ungemmed/unforged/wrong gear/no knowledge of class/no knowledge of the encounter
    Afk players
    Players barely trying
    There are enough people carrying them that it generally doesn't matter. And if it causes a wipe, the underachievers tend to get kicked anyhow.

People who grief you because they are 1 in 8 million and no consequences.
    How, exactly.. pulling the boss early? That's hardly griefing.. it's a minor annoyance, and doesn't work half the time anyhow.

Booted just because someone said "Kick X because of bad DPS!" When you were a healer.
    Never seen this.

DPS in tank spec
    Or this.

Huntards killing you with misdirect for shits and giggles
    Or this.

People screaming at you for tanking wrong
    This can happen in any pug, or any situation with vent.

People screaming
    See above. This is also something that will happen in guilds.

SUB-PAR crappy versions of LFR gear.
    Gear in and of itself matters very little to me.

And through all of this crap that is the random bundle that we call LFR people STILL choose to abandon Raid Guilds for LFR, so why?
    You get to avoid the oft-occurring guild drama completely. And you're missing the biggest draws of it, which are that you get to play exactly when you want, and for exactly how long you want... neither of which are really feasible options in a raid guild.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I do other things while in queue.

I think I've seen the tank in pvp gear thing once, and never noticed a healer in dps spec.

There are enough people carrying them that it generally doesn't matter. And if it causes a wipe, the underachievers tend to get kicked anyhow.

How, exactly.. pulling the boss early? That's hardly griefing.. it's a minor annoyance, and doesn't work half the time anyhow.

Never seen this.

Or this.
    I have seen this happen more than once.

Or this.

This can happen in any pug, or any situation with vent.

See above. This is also something that will happen in guilds.

Gear in and of itself matters very little to me.

You get to avoid the oft-occurring guild drama completely. And you're missing the biggest draws of it, which are that you get to play exactly when you want, and for exactly how long you want... neither of which are really feasible options in a raid guild.
    But I do agree with your post for the most part. Esp this last sentence.

15+ Year Old Account
    I quit raiding over several things (internet issues, less time, less desire to be quite so hardcore/the personality issues that come with). I've wanted to get back into it lately, but can't find a guild I like (especially since I prefer 25 man and don't want to transfer to a realm with queues). So in the meantime: LFR. Helps me not be completely behind on gear and I get to see the content.

Aka it's doing exactly what it was designed to.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarM View Post
    People talk like commit to raid is a thing from another world..
    If you play soccer, you commit with your friends to play 1/2/3 day as week 2 hours. People commit cause they really like play soccer.
    If you play poker, you commit to play the game with your friends.

Any social game, you need to commit, the only difference is that WoW is a virtual game. If you like to raid, you need to commit. You can't just appear one day, expecting that people remove someone from their team (in any game), to put you in the place, and you leave when you want.

I understand people that do LFR because they were raiders, and can't raid anymore. But don't fool yourself that LFR is real raiding. The point of raid is to push yourself and your guildies to become better players. Execute a strategy with almost perfection. DAT kill when one healer dies, and you heal the raid alone for almost an entire phase. You know you play well when you beat an Heroic boss that almost nobody kills. When loot just become a tool to beat harder bosses.

What i don't undertand is people that never raided, or tried 1 or 2 times, failed, and keep playing the game, doing LFR. Do LFR and pretending that you are raiding is the same thing that that you fu** an sex doll pretend that you are having sex. You are just fooling yourself.

When I don't have time to raid or just don't wanna (didn't raid T11 and stopped in the middle of T14), I simple stopped playing. Why the damn I ll play the game just to do LFR? Probably, if my account is active, I will do one more time to see the Lore, no more. Raiders use loot to progress through on harder bosses. Why a person that farm LFR uses his gear? To do the next LFR? that people will 1 shot almost every boss anyway, regardless gear?
    It all depends on what you take seriously. Some folks take WoW seriously enough to commit to 2,3,4 nights per week consistently. Others do not. I might take poker with friends more seriously.

LFR is, objectively, raiding. It's missing traditional loot drops, and traditional team assembly (and even here, I believe, you can do a pre-made 25 man lfr, no?). I will certainly admit that there is a rush when you kill a boss that had been giving you fits, or he dies with 2/3rds of the team down. Difficulty of an encounter isn't a prerequisite of 'real' raiding... was ICC gunship a real raid encounter? Marrowgar? Jaraxxus? By all accounts, yes, and they were all faceroll even by LFR standards.

For your last paragraph, why do you care about other people's motivations to play?

I didnt "choose it" but my raiding group fell apart after almost 4 years and Im too tired of "people" to find a new one, also I dont have the time I used to have to make new friends in game and my raiding schedule is/was quite unusual (00:00 to 03:00am since I work til 10:00pm), so no more hc raiding for me. So its LFR or nothing in my case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I can't afford to set aside chunks of my night on a set schedule due to having a family.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDallasMultipass View Post
    I hate when people compare video games to sports just because there's something called e-"sports". GAMES ARE NOT SPORTS. In a sport, even if you play competitively and lose a game, you still gain physical activity, real social interaction with people, chance to see things, get noticed, fuck a girl who thinks you're cute in uniform, etc.

In WoW raiding you either a: kill the boss b: don't kill the boss and spend your entire night in a chair clicking a mouse. Sure, it's fun to listen to guildmates if you're blessed with mature people who have interesting/funny things to talk about, but otherwise you gain nothing out of it.

Commitment vs Rewards in games and sports are not the same thing, so stop using this example!
    I use to play hockey 3 days a week over the winter, baseball and lacrosse 4 days a week in the summer. Got into a bad car accident and can no longer play those sports, sure i still go have some beers and watch them. But not as much, so now i have some beer and raid with friends online 3 days a week. Playing sports is a hobby/playing wow is a hobby.... at least to me anyway.

Deleted
    I think people in WoW more than ever before are reluctant and scared to approach strangers. LFR (while conceptually very good) works as an easy way out.

"Well I just cannot join a raid guild because of XYZ" comes easy; while putting in the effort and risking the vulnerability that comes with joining a new guild full of strangers is tough. What they don't realize is that exactly the community is what gives the MMORG its appeal.

As such LFR isn't to blame. The community which got less helpful, extremely elitist and full of trolling is the cause, LFD and LFR are just the catalyst.

Well I used to be a hardcore raider from TBC through Cata (was only in casual raids back in vanilla). Real life happened and I can no longer guaranty that I will be available the same time week after week. With LFR I can go in and clear a raid while my son takes a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    I don't have the time to commit to raiding; and I don't know a group of 9 - 24 other people who play the same schedule as me
    That's about it for me.

I also like being able to bail after a boss kill without finishing the whole "wing" without feeling bad. Another DPS will be happy to fill my spot (I assume).

After pages of responses, maybe this should be aggregated into a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdie View Post
    I use to play hockey 3 days a week over the winter, baseball and lacrosse 4 days a week in the summer. Got into a bad car accident and can no longer play those sports, sure i still go have some beers and watch them. But not as much, so now i have some beer and raid with friends online 3 days a week. Playing sports is a hobby/playing wow is a hobby.... at least to me anyway.
    That's the point though. It's a hobby, it's something fun people do to enjoy when they can and how they can. I seriously don't understand why people are so upset that other people have different priorities that mean they have different play styles and expectations, because that's all it is really. It's like having someone who plays in the premier league being angry at me because I can only be bothered to have a casual kick around with friends occasionally these days instead of playing all the time like I did in college.

I'd be really interested to see a poll where it divided up into age groups. I think the responses here are showing a fairly big opinion gap between the teens to mid 20s crowd and the late 20s/30s crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdie View Post
    Playing sports is a hobby/playing wow is a hobby.... at least to me anyway.
    Totally agree - everything that is not related to job or family is basically a time-killer. In that regard, playing WoW and playing football is the same.

On topic - I've stopped normal/HC raiding because I can no longer be sure I can play every raiding night. So I just run LFR's and other casual content when I have free time to be prepared for the next patch/expansion. If I was in school or university (hence, had a lot of free time), I'd probably still raid like crazy.

Time
    TIME
    TIME!!!

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

3 guilds "dying" between 5.1-5.3
    Coulnd't be arsed to join another guild, so only do LFR to at least continue with the Wrathion quest chain.

Our guild failed to the brick wall that was Horridon, 10 N. We have not raided since March, because of this. Why work on progress when you can simply do LFR and get the same reward. I have however since quit playing in general as I only play this game for Dungeons and raids. Since Blizzard has decided they hate 5 mans there is nothing there for me and since my guild has died and our server is pretty much dead, I have no real avenue to raid so I don't play. I hate the RNG in LFR, I play the game to progress my character, IDK if I clear all content in a tier as long as I get what I feel is my achievable BIS. I would prolly have leveled all my characters to 90 and geared them as I did in CATA. But I need guaranteed loot to keep raiding, there is nothing fun in wasting 5-8 hours doing LFR and not receiving any loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Golden Age of raiding god I hope your just stating your opinion and not saying to say that is a fact because ill really LOL really hard.

Before I left wow I only did LFR because I was tired of the guild drama and normally being the one who had to run the raid even tho I stated many times I did not want to.

In LFR you can Ignore all the people in a guild run or even a pug run you can not ignore the other 9/24 people and that to me is a blessing.

Also believe it or not LFR is fun for a lot of people.

Also one reason I stopped trying to join raiding guilds was because they wanted me to go to there guild website and full out a apt....this is not a job this is a game.
    Being able to totally ignore everyone and everything is exactly why LFR at it's current state is bad. It offers rewards for doing nothing. It doesn't promote learning, it doesn't make people want to perform better. LFR has it's upsides obviously, but it would be madness to deny that it also has it's downsides aswell. I can imagine LFR being the only option for those who have a lot of variance in their work shifts. That was the problem for me when I was still working as a security guard. I wish flex-raids become popular, it seems that they should offer that slight challenge that might drive people in to the mindset necessary to improve their gameplay and characters instead of constantly ignoring mechanics and other players.

About the writing up an application, would you pick people blindly without ever asking their backgrounds? There's a reason for asking for applications, they don't need to be just like job-applications, but a well written application with basic information such as your activity, experience and maybe even hardware tells alot. Not about just that particular information, but about you as a person. If someone who asks about a spot from our guild tells me that he doesn't want to write up even a simple, decently written application.. I'd just wish them good luck with searching. If one doesn't bother to write for a few minutes, how can I expect them to have the necessary consumables and focus for raids?

But since you seem to have quitted wow, I guess you might had the same thoughts and I guess that quitting wow might have been the best option you had.

I guess that's all for now.

I never left raiding specifically due to LFR. I quit playing at the end of Cataclysm because I got bored of the game (that was a looong time to go with nothing but DS). At that point, I'd been raiding 8 hours a week for the past 6 years and was starting to get burned out, so I took a break. My guild also started falling apart and eventually died a slow death through most of Cataclysm.

So I came back in about 5.2 and joined a friend's guild as a non-raider. I can't commit to their raid schedules, so I just act as a backup for them. I use LFR to keep my gear at least somewhat up to date so I can be effective in that role. If I happen to be online when they're short a DPS, great. I just don't like feeling an obligation to log on at raid times, so I don't promise that I'm going to be there. LFR is perfect for that.

And to be honest, I haven't had _that_ many bad experiences in LFR. Maybe I'm just lucky, but aside from occasionally having to kick the random AFKer/person who disconnected, most of my LFR runs have gone pretty smoothly. Except for the fact that I seem to have shit luck with actually getting gear, but at least most of my LFRs have been decent enough.

The system has been refined a lot since Cataclysm, that much is for sure. At least now assholes who don't even need the gear can't roll on it, win it, then say "Hm....well, you're only number 2 on the damage meters, and number 1 beat you by 1%, so I don't think you're good enough to deserve this. I'm just going to vendor it." I lost Gurthalak to that on my first Madness kill in LFR and just said "fuck it" after that. Or just groups of 10 guildies coming in and need rolling everything so they could trade it amongst themselves. That was really my least favorite thing about doing LFR on my alts in Cataclysm. Thankfully, MoP fixed the above.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-06-24 at 01:49 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I left due to a series of events that left me realizing that putting in the time to raid just isn't worth it (at least, not on my server):

- In Wrath, I was part of a semi-casual progression guild. We finally got to LK 25 only to have the RL buy a LK kill and start us over on heroic modes for gear. I didn't agree with the decision, so that coupled with a few other things (newborn, more demands at work, desire for more than three hours of sleep a night) led me to seek a more casual guild. Queue slight distaste of raiding due to the realization that I may not get to enjoy the game the way I want to because other people are so focused on gear.

- In Cata, I was raid leader for a casual raiding guild starting partway through T11. We downed T11 when the better raiders were still in the guild, but they all took a break partway through T12. I was told specifically not to worry about recruiting (which I hate doing and I am NOT the type of person that can sell...well...anything), but the recruiting officer wasn't recruiting either. We never downed Rag, and only got Hagara down once or twice before I quickly got fed up with half the raid dying to Hour of Twilight and/or Fading Light...especially with LFR was available as a learning tool.

- At the end of Cata I joined my last progression guild as part of the second raid team. At the beginning of MoP RNG sucked for me - if I remember correctly I was still sporting a couple of 430-ish blue pieces and a green trinket (still around a 460-ish ilevel), despite running twice as many heroics as everyone else in the guild (except one other person) and running LFR multiple times a week for bonus rolls on bosses I needed things from. When it came time to do MSV, another tank was taken that had gotten lucky with some epic gear and I was told to "do more heroics".

That, to me, was the last straw - I had already put in more effort than most other people in the guild, and was told to "work harder" as another person who decided it wasn't necessary to gem/enchant his epic gear got to raid to his heart's content. I put in a huge amount of time at the beginning of the expansion, only to see all of that effort be completed disregarded.

So, three "raiding" guilds in a row - each and every one ended up being a complete waste of my time. I found myself hating the thought of logging on to do a "real" raid, and with pugging all but dead on my server I just didn't have it in me to try a fourth time.

While I am doing strictly LFR now, I don't particularly enjoy it. Yeah, it was neat seeing the content the first time or two...but now it's devolved to "Oh god, please just let us one-shot all the fights so I can go do something else that's fun". I'm grateful that LFR awards gear that is relatively powerful - it lets me do a lot more of what I really like: soloing old raids.

As far as your bullet list of drawbacks (based on my experience, so completely subjective!):

Healer 10-15 min queue, Dps 20-60 min queue.
    I can do quests/achievements while I'm waiting for the queue

Potential of;
    tank fail due to pvp gear
    Hasn't happened very often...at least, not if you get it done before Friday

Heal fail due to healers being in dips spec because they were too good for dps queues.
    This has happened maybe one time.

DPS fail because of not following the mechanics that they know better than to do (AOE on DWing thumb)
    This is the biggest problem in LFR that I've run into...after a wipe or two people usually learn or the Determination buff helps those of us that are paying attention pick up the slack.

Unenchanted/ungemmed/unforged/wrong gear/no knowledge of class/no knowledge of the encounter
    Enchanting/gemming gear isn't really necessary for LFR. Before Friday, most people are good about learning after a wipe or two.

Afk players
    If that has been happening, I haven't noticed it.

Players barely trying
    Same thing as AFK players.

People who grief you because they are 1 in 8 million and no consequences.
    This has happened a handful of times...not much you can do about it besides kicking them, just like any other area in the game.

Booted just because someone said "Kick X because of bad DPS!" When you were a healer.
    When this has come up, people are usually good to say "uh, they're a healer..." Conversely, most people will point out a DPS/healer not pulling their weight in their role pretty quickly.

DPS in tank spec
    Happened one time during Dragon Soul (and they won the trinket off Ultraxion QQ). Just like griefers, not much you can do outside of kicking them.

Huntards killing you with misdirect for shits and giggles
    I've never seen this happen.

People screaming at you for tanking wrong
    The only time I've seen this is when the tank is actually tanking incorrectly (taking a leisurely stroll between pillars on Lei Shin, not picking up adds, facing bosses with conal/cleaves at the raid, etc.).

People screaming
    Doesn't happen that often, and when it does I can ignore it (or laugh at it) because I only have to deal with the morons for another hour or so.

SUB-PAR crappy versions of LFR gear.
    I can do almost everything I want to with the LFR gear. Besides, I feel much better about being an almost Rank 10 brawler in "sub-par crappy LFR gear" while people in full normal-mode gear are still struggling in Rank 7/8.