Deleted

Noctua d14 / I5-3570k temperatures.

Greetings guys, as you all know summer is finally here and in Italy it's starting to get really hot!

I currently own an I5-3570k @ stock settings, cooled by a Noctua D14.
    Lately I've been monitoring my CPU temperatures and I've seen something that seemed quite wrong to me.

My room's temperature is currently at 30-31°, raising everyday. (86 degrees Fahrenheit)
    On idle, my cpu reaches 44° (111.2 degrees Fahrenheit), on 100% load it peaks at 59-60° (138.2 degrees Fahrenheit)

Is it quite normal for a well ventiled case (HAF XB filled with fans) and a Noctua D14 or could replacing the heatsink and changing the thermal paste be worth it in your opinion? (By worth I mean "It might lower the current temperature by a couple degrees")

Thanks for your help.

44°C idling with an ambient temp of 31°C is about as good as it is going to get TBH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ambient temp is pretty high, temps look pretty good considering.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those temps are pretty high, for under load with such a cooler...

Then again, the ambient is quite high, too.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Those temps are good considering how high your ambient temperature is.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Those temps are pretty high, for under load with such a cooler.
    Not in my experience, here's my 2500K (cooled by the NH-D14) after a couple hours of Dota 2:

But then again, I've got mine overclocked to 4.6GHz... Still, considering the OP's high ambient temperature those temps are probably to be expected.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-06-22 at 01:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there anything you can do about the ambient temp? Ac? Ceiling fan? Open a window?

It's not going to hurt anything having those temperatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

Δ+14°C is good. You can barely get much better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those temps are absolutely fine.

What some people here seem to forget is also the following: How the fan controller might be set up.
    You can have a monster of a heatsink, but if the fan controller is set to a target temperature of 60°C (which is fairly common), the fans will not really spin up unless you surpass this point. So, no matter if you have an i3 or an overclocked i7, the load temperatures can be fairly similar, especially when the ambient temperatures are this high.

If your cpu stays within a reasonable temperature range during load, you are fine. It doesn't matter if this is 50°C or 70°C, the specs for that cpu are still way higher.
    Also, idle temps don't mean shit.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by AtaraxyDarkmoonFaire View Post
    Greetings guys, as you all know summer is finally here and in Italy it's starting to get really hot!

I currently own an I5-3570k @ stock settings, cooled by a Noctua D14.
    Lately I've been monitoring my CPU temperatures and I've seen something that seemed quite wrong to me.

My room's temperature is currently at 30-31°, raising everyday. (86 degrees Fahrenheit)
    On idle, my cpu reaches 44° (111.2 degrees Fahrenheit), on 100% load it peaks at 59-60° (138.2 degrees Fahrenheit)

Is it quite normal for a well ventiled case (HAF XB filled with fans) and a Noctua D14 or could replacing the heatsink and changing the thermal paste be worth it in your opinion? (By worth I mean "It might lower the current temperature by a couple degrees")

Thanks for your help.
    I'm running almost the same setup.
    As others have already mentioned your ambient temps are high.
    If you cleaned the HS and your CPU and reseated it the temps would drop a bit.
    I usually reseat mine right before the summer and its always all dried up.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Not in my experience, here's my 2500K (cooled by the NH-D14) after a couple hours of Dota 2:

/img

But then again, I've got mine overclocked to 4.6GHz... Still, considering the OP's high ambient temperature those temps are probably to be expected.
    Yeah, I'm just wondering how much worse those ambient temps can make it, when he has it at stock settings. =S

---------- Post added 2013-06-22 at 04:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I'm running almost the same setup.
    As others have already mentioned your ambient temps are high.
    If you cleaned the HS and your CPU and reseated it the temps would drop a bit.
    I usually reseat mine right before the summer and its always all dried up.
    Uh. How would cleaning it, when it might very well be new, drop his temperatures. Please do recall that ambient temperatures means the room. >_>

Idk what paste you use, but there are a lot of pastes that don't really dry up, nowadays. The technology has improved greatly.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Thanks a lot guys, I'm not an expert but it's actually pretty interesting that when my ambient temperature was 15-20° a few weeks ago the CPU would stay at Δ+8-9°, while now it's at Δ+14°C. (Here in Italy we are probably going to reach at least 40° soon, I hope it won't increase proportionally but again I don't recall any physic law that should make it happen)

I've managed to gain a few degrees placing it in a higher place where the airflow is a little better, I'm not actually worried about these temps as I won't be overclocking this summer but I just wanted to make sure that they were ok considering the incoming season :P

As always thanks a lot guys, it's really handy to have people with your experience to seek the advice.

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    So, first of all 60 celsius under full load isn't really all that worrying, you don't want to get that much higher than that. For the CPU you have, it seems unlikely to me that you need a better heatsink, you can of course re-do the thermal paste if you're not 100% confident in it being on there optimally. But your temperature would probably be somewhat/a lot higher on full load if that was done badly.

The main thing you might want to look at is cooling your room IMO. I'm of course not from Italy, so no clue how hot it gets there normally, and how much access you have to things that can keep your room cool, but if the air that flows through the case is that hot already, you're obviously not going to be cooling it a whole lot :P

Either way, if the temperature doesn't go too far beyond 60 if you're going full load on your system, it won't really damage anything. I wish you good luck surviving the heat of the summer down there in italy :P (coming from me in the netherlands where the summer lasts for 1 day.)
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Either way, if the temperature doesn't go too far beyond 60 if you're going full load on your system, it won't really damage anything. I wish you good luck surviving the heat of the summer down there in italy :P (coming from me in the netherlands where the summer lasts for 1 day.)
    Eheh thanks, by the way I tested my sistem again with different monitoring softwares and I was quite surprised:

Apparently "Speccy", which I always used as my main monitoring tool (it's graphicaly pleasing and it's one of the most detailed one) reads always 5-6° degrees higher on the cores than the others.

As you can see I used CPUID and RealTemp and the results are really quite different on idle, I'm going to do a stress test and check if the difference is so high even on full-load.
    (The BIOS sensor seems to confirm that CPUID and RealTemp are definately more accurate in this very case)
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-06-22 at 01:43 PM.

Deleted
    Speccy has never been good reporting accurate numbers temperature wise.