Thread: Son of Svanir

Son of Svanir

So basically, I'm making a new Norn, and was wondering which is the correct way to add the -son suffix to the word Svanir for my last name. Is it Svanirson or Svanirsson? Any real life Nords who could answer that?
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this thread, but afterall it kinda is about Guild Wars 2.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Marthenil; 2013-06-22 at 05:41 AM.

You are making a new character in GW2 right? Not Skyrim?

Just wanted to make sure since Nords are in Skyrim, Norn in GW2

About naming conventions, not sure.

Damn, should get some sleep, yeah a Norn :P

Your best bet would be to look up Norse naming etymology if you want to be as accurate as possible. But I imagine either way would be just fine.

From what I could find, the suffix for "Son of..." is just -son. But then you get names like Eriksson which makes no sense :P I THINK it depends on if it's Swedish or Norwegian.
    Not entirely sure though.

Deleted
    It would be Svanirsson. (I assume you know Svanir was Jora's brother that she could not save from Jormag's corruption. Jora killed him in GW1.)

Also see http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces...ng+Conventions
    Norn

Norn given names are Nordic-inspired and presumably given to them by their parents.

Norn last names are long and commonly patronymic or matronymic, giving information about who one's parents are - 'Stegalkin', or kin of Stegal; 'Jotharsson', or son of Jothar; or 'Oddsdottir', daughter of Odd. A norn can also be named after an animal ('Whitebear') or an action ('Poundfist'). [8] It is uncommon for a norn to take any last name that isn't reflective of their own deed, and while they might use the name of their parent (Jotharsson, etc), once a norn has done things they're proud to recount, they almost always turn those deeds into a use-name.

Instead of a last name, Norn can also be known as a descriptor, much in the same way as the charr ('Magnus the Bloody-handed').

Example Names
    Males: Gullik, Fastulf, Knut, Allarrin, Asgeir
    Females: Moda, Gyda, Eir
    Last names: Stegalkin, Jotharsson, Oddsdottir, Whitebear, Poundfist

Resources

Surname's patronymic/matronymic suffixes here: http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Surna...nymic_suffixes
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2013-06-22 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    It would be Svanirsson. (I assume you know Svanir was Jora's brother that she could not save from Jormag's corruption. Jora killed him in GW1.)

Also see http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces...ng+Conventions
    I know who Svanir is, and despite the fact that I don't roleplay I like to make characters with backstories, this particular one is a warrior who joined the Sons of Svanir (Hence the last name Svanirsson), managed to escape their madness, and now uses their powers against them (Guardian class , but blue fire looks like frostburn to me :P ) but kept his last name for reasons that I'm going to expand on at some later time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure it would be Svanirson instead of Svanirsson. Most of the names that come to my mind that end with ~son or ~dottir don't have an extra s.

It's more like 'Son of Svanir' than 'Svanir his Son'
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

10+ Year Old Account
    Asked my Swiss friend for you. She says both are acceptable. In our world, depending on which country, they might choose -sson over -son. Norway, for example, used -sen.

both are acceptable.

Thanks a lot for the info!