10+ Year Old Account

Preferred Tanking Partner

Considering equal skill, do you have a preference on who you partner with?

And is it bad to have 2 rage based tanks?

it can be bad to have same type of tanks. but it not to big of a deal. for example having 2 warriors vs warrior and druid... warrior has more spell CD's then a druid has (cant remember if it change since cata or wrath, do druids have Spell dmg reduction cds if so my bad) anyways point is just open more flex is all, not really big deal but just helps out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noix View Post
    it can be bad to have same type of tanks. but it not to big of a deal. for example having 2 warriors vs warrior and druid... warrior has more spell CD's then a druid has (cant remember if it change since cata or wrath, do druids have Spell dmg reduction cds if so my bad) anyways point is just open more flex is all, not really big deal but just helps out
    Yeah I wondered if another rage tank would be an issue.

My guild might try some flex raids when they come out and my guild leader (who's main is a warrior tank) has asked me if I would tank. I have options and likely will go with my Monk since we don't have any other serious monks in our guild and no agility leather users so it works out (not that it matters with flex since rolls are individual but if we ever decided to do a couple normal fights). I can play whatever I like since we are pretty casual but I'm curious what other tanks preferred as a partner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Myself being a Monk, my preferred second tank is a Paladin. I would imagine either of the two of those are the preferred pairing for any tank, since they both combine powerful utility, high damage and top-of-class mitigation.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I have a big heart for the warrior.

I've always run with a Druid on my Warrior and my Paladin; never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Considering equal skill, do you have a preference on who you partner with?

And is it bad to have 2 rage based tanks?
    It's fine to have two Rage based tanks, but Druids have a really high critical chance, which makes for some dicey tank swaps with Warriors and DK's since crits generate more aggro.

10+ Year Old Account
    My group has preferred a leather tank and a plate tank since wrath, just makes balancing gear easier. We were warrior/druid, then went dk/druid, and are currently warrior/monk. It's been me and my co tank most of the whole time. Since we know how we each play it makes it to where it doesn't matter what tank setup we have but having it to where we don't share gear has made progression gearing a lot easier.

Deleted
    Monk, due to the already mentioned loot distribution. We run with two plate dps already and bringing a dk or paladin might cause a lot of drama (because both like haste/mastery pieces).

Monk also brings a ton of raidhealing and needs a lot of skill to play properly while i still think druid is one of the most tedious classes and tanking on one will get boring rather quickly (danger of burnout).

Last but most important they scale incredible well with vengeance, providing a ton of dps and raidheal. Ideally we want to team up with a tanking partner which tends to explode when we feed them with vengeance so the choices are rather limited (paladin, monk).

Ps: we had one shield drop during the whole t14 content and i got my t15 shield from bonus roll, never saw one dropping despite there are three in the loot table of all bosses.

Deleted
    The monk is the best partner to make up of the loss that your raid gets from taking a prot warrior. So sad. Plus the leather thingy what klausi wrote.

Been raiding with:
    - DK, it was harder to gear up but sufficient and strong combo
    - Druid, since I love to have such OT in TBC I still think it's great 2nd tank while playing as warrior (plus like people said, gearing!)
    - Paladin, even as they stack haste dps items it still removes one of your melee from gearing properly (and you won't tank as solo tanking is such a 'cool' thing now)
    - Monk, haven't tank with them yet but as I can see from people posts it could be a upgraded version of Druid co-tank which for me sounds awesome.

As for double warriors, it would be imo bad combo. Although one tank/one dps in same raid group is really nice (banners, rallying etc), but wouldn't like to go for 2x Prot.

15+ Year Old Account
    My preferred tanking partner is a competent tank/raider :P I know it may sound cheesy but having some one I an joke with and iron out shit fast is who I want to be side by side with taking the hits!

At Since FL I've been paired up with a really great pallie tank and this tier I have loved it as he can solo tank many things and gives me time to go pew pew pew spec

Deleted
    I had an amazing druid that used to OT with me back in BC. Ever since I love druids as tanking partners But as others have said, player first, class after. Paladins gives great utility.

I really dont care about the class I am tanking with. Its all about the player and the personality. The Monk I have been tanking with for over 6 months is a great guy and great player. Pretty sure he would be great at whatever class he tanked on.

Deleted
    Ideally I suppose it would be a Monk, but I am generally the tank who has all the other tanking class alts so I hop around if needed and we just use DK / Warrior mostly and it works out fine
    Skill trumps the class any day, and knowing exactly what you are doing with good communication between the two is great, luckily I'm in this position as the DK tank we have in the guild is pretty exceptional and I wouldn't want to have it any other way

I find myself not having any preference, but I could imagine most other tanks preferring warriors cause of vigilance/safeguard

Quote Originally Posted by Thiassi View Post
    My group has preferred a leather tank and a plate tank since wrath, just makes balancing gear easier. We were warrior/druid, then went dk/druid, and are currently warrior/monk. It's been me and my co tank most of the whole time. Since we know how we each play it makes it to where it doesn't matter what tank setup we have but having it to where we don't share gear has made progression gearing a lot easier.
    Depends on the rest of the raid. If you have more than one other Agi Leather user, it might be better to have two plates in terms of balancing loot. I'm lucky in that my only competition is from an Enhancement Shaman, so he's gotten a trinket and a cloak that I rolled against him for, but the leather is all mine.