Thread: Challenge Modes

Challenge Modes

So, i've decided to do the challenge modes, and have a few questions. I'm a little confused on how the scaling works exactly. If it does scale us down to 463, then current ilvl doesn't matter. Would it be more beneficial to use the t14 4 piece, over tier 15, for more dark soul usage? Also, i know that our stat weights change alot, due to our ilvl. Since we scale down, should i reforge my stats accordingly? I'm Demo btw, with UVLS, ilvl 528. Thanks for any input

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe 4set and legendary gems are disabled in challenge mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah 3 big things you have to consider.

1. Tier bonuses are disabled
    2. Gems will carry on and not re-scaled
    3. Destro is most likely best spec CMs

It's not impossible to do it as other specs but it will make it a lot easier for your group to run them.

Deleted
    Try to get well itemized gear with as many gem slots as possible. Gem intellect and go with trinkets that are preferably not rppm trinkets. I would advice highly against UVLS. DMF, elegon and alchemy trinkets are good choices. Set bonuses, sha touched gem and the legendary meta gem are disabled.

If you're familiar with destro i'd advice you to try that out, as personally i like that best for challenge modes.

Destro has good AoE damage as well as burst and survivability sustain.

DMF and Elegon trinkets are both good choices since the RPPM won't be as nerfed as UVLS since the item level difference between the 476 trinkets and the 463 down-scale isn't as high and RPPM will scale with ilevel. However, that doesn't mean higher ilevel trinkets will have higher RPPM. It just means heroic will have higher RPPM than non-heroic, and so on. A 522 trinket scaled down to 463 will have a much lower RPPM than a trinket with a 489 ilevel down to 463. I hope I worded that so it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipsterlock View Post
    Destro has good AoE damage as well as burst and survivability sustain.

DMF and Elegon trinkets are both good choices since the RPPM won't be as nerfed as UVLS since the item level difference between the 476 trinkets and the 463 down-scale isn't as high and RPPM will scale with ilevel. However, that doesn't mean higher ilevel trinkets will have higher RPPM. It just means heroic will have higher RPPM than non-heroic, and so on. A 522 trinket scaled down to 463 will have a much lower RPPM than a trinket with a 489 ilevel down to 463. I hope I worded that so it makes sense.
    RPPM trinket aren't ideal because you can't predict when they'll proc. There's only 1 rppm trinket that gets lower rppm in challenge mode (well 2 but one of those is agi so it doesn't apply here) and it's UVLS. also, dmf and elegon aren't rppm trinkets.

In the end, every version of the same trinket will turn out the same in CMs, so pick the trinket best itemized for you. If you prefer a more reliable trinket avoid rppm ones.

Thanks everyone, i have those trinkets in the bank. Didn't realize the meta gem, sha touched gem, and tier bonuses were disabled. Thnx. And yes, i actually only recently switched to demo, so i'm very familiar with destro. I was kinda, thinking destro would be the best for the quick ramp up on soul leech, ember tap (if need be), and the burst, but had seen some who had done it as demo. Just wanted to make sure, before i did some respeccing, or reforging

10+ Year Old Account
    This may sound bad, I think but honestly if you have a decent group then the lack of meta gem/tier bonus or non-rrpm trinkets really isn't going to make or break things. Most CMs puts the pressures on healer and tanks. Think only MP, Siege (sorta) and maybe Scholo puts any real pressure on dps and even then it's not a huge deal. Think I recently did a 9/9 Gold run for a buyer in all my ToT gear as Destro with Aff reforge. >.<

You can more or less just take the general notes from this thread and carry them over to Destro. Try saving 4 Embers for the start of each boss fight is really the only thing to note for them as Destro.

As others noted none of the legendary item things carry over (except the extra gem slot in weps) and avoid RPPM trinkets like the plague.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tret View Post
    So, i've decided to do the challenge modes, and have a few questions. I'm a little confused on how the scaling works exactly. If it does scale us down to 463, then current ilvl doesn't matter. Would it be more beneficial to use the t14 4 piece, over tier 15, for more dark soul usage? Also, i know that our stat weights change alot, due to our ilvl. Since we scale down, should i reforge my stats accordingly? I'm Demo btw, with UVLS, ilvl 528. Thanks for any input
    I did them as a mix of demo and destro.

I would just play whatever spec your most comfortable with.

I would go with LoTC and Yulon if you have them (Any version of LoTC will do). I m pretty sure it doesn't scale proper down tho, so higher ilvls will give SLIGHTLY more stats. That and the more sockets the merrier.

Trash is most important.

As Destro I would go with Sac and as Demo Service. This depends however.

I would go heavy mastery builds for both.

Deleted
    Honestly you can do CMs as a warlock in any of the 3 specs, all of them can perform to an acceptable standard, just try to make sure you have some pre-ToT trinkets and a burning meta

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    You can more or less just take the general notes from this thread and carry them over to Destro. Try saving 4 Embers for the start of each boss fight is really the only thing to note for them as Destro.

As others noted none of the legendary item things carry over (except the extra gem slot in weps) and avoid RPPM trinkets like the plague.
    Why isn't that thread sticky?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Completed 9/9 gold as destro alt some time ago. Was top dps on every thrash pack/most of the bosses (elem, owlkin, warlock). Went Sac + full mastery reforge because my pet was doing some crazy things Other talent choices were obvious (KJC, aoe stun, soul leach, sprint). Went with sacrifical pact first, then had to change it to dark pact (or whathever the name) because I needed to tank some packs for a while.
    Cool experience anyways 8)
    I survived 2010 Summer in Moscow without leaving city for a single day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Why isn't that thread sticky?
    Not every thread needs to be stickied . If you search the Warlock forum for "Challenge Mode" you could find it on the second page so it's a bit dug down but it's still around. Nonetheless glad you found it useful.

Having done the CM's and a *ton* of carries I'd have to say generally destro is your best bet. Demo has some situational moments but destro is going to be your strongest option overall. Shadowfury is almost a must...communicate/coordinate it as a group/tanking CD. I prefer sac since a stupid pet is more a liability than any damage differential. Also so you can't get any issues when using invis pots. Demo obv uses a FG btw... Dark bargain is more of a panic button. The rest of the time you shouldn't be taking so much damage you can't work through it with HS/ember tap/unending resolve. I prefer soul leech even when you aoe a lot but its strongest as destro. MF is too wide to safely aoe, KJC is better, AV is okay just KJC allows for more run/gun tactics. Get or keep an old helm with the burning meta gem in it. The 600 cloaks get scaled down in ilvl but their 3x stat budget is still best and it has a socket.

Stuff that doesn't work:
    *Sha touched gems
    *Legendary meta gem
    *2pc or 4pc tier bonuses
    *pvp set bonuses

Stuff that does work without dilution:
    *gems
    *hit rating
    *expertise rating

Your best two trinkets are the yulon trinket and either cosmos or shado pan. Tried UVLS and 1-2 procs per dungeon sucks. Thus gear slightly nerfs things since say a 540ilvl person will have say 10% of the stat budget allocated to hit whereas a 463 person will have 30% of the stat budget to hit. I made up the percentages but the theory is sound.

I recently did a few CM's again to help out some guildies... You want to use an old tier helm with old meta if you can, and use gear with lots of gem slots as they scale the best while scaled down. Knowing that RPPM trinkets proc rates get boggled when scaled down I was going to swap trinkets only to find I had long since DE them all... So I ran with my existing trinkets.

I have to say, that UVLS ended up being much stronger than I initially thought. While the proc rate is not stellar and your haste levels are low for slower doom ticks, the fury generated from 100% crit dooms scales extremely well to give you much higher meta up time.

RNG is RNG, but 100% crit ShadowFlames really helps melt large AoE packs.