Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

backtrack / ubuntu O.S

i have a spare 2TB external HDD i use to use for college that im no longer using and rather than it just sitting there gathering dust i was wanting to put backtrack 5 r3 on it & maybe a version of ubuntu. but because i need to download the backtrack file as a iso or vurtual image im not quite sure how to do it....

could someone give me some idea how i would go about installing backtrack onto a external HDD and making it bootable?
    Last edited by Wipeout; 2013-06-22 at 08:12 PM.

To boot off an external (assuming USB) you just need to set USB as a higher priority than your normal HDD/SSD in your BIOS.

As far as virtual box goes, you need to create a new machine and once you're finished, hit Settings and go to Storage. For your IDE controller you want to add your iso as the disk (this emulates the dvd-rom). Also, go to network tab and toggle bridged adapter and select your NIC that you connect to the internet with.

If you are just looking to crack a wan or something real quick with bt, you can just burn the iso to disk and it works as a live cd. This means you don't need to install anything at all and you can run the apps on the fly.

Virtual machine means that it runs on your current system so you boot Windows and then you can run a virtual machine environment of backtrack at the same time as if it's just another application.

You probably need to make a bootable cd or USB stick with the ISO on it if you want to install it "properly" on your spare hdd

http://superuser.com/questions/44003...ge-is-bootable

You probably want to go with PowerISO - http://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/make-bootable-cd.htm
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    from a technical level, if understanding ISO usage is difficult, anything in BT5 is way over your head

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    from a technical level, if understanding ISO usage is difficult, anything in BT5 is way over your head
    i know how to use a ISO & backtrack just fine thanks, but everytime ive tried to install backtrack onto my external hdd it comes up with a error

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wipeout View Post
    i know how to use a ISO & backtrack just fine thanks, but everytime ive tried to install backtrack onto my external hdd it comes up with a error
    Quote Originally Posted by Wipeout View Post
    im not quite sure how to do it....
    you're disagreeing with yourself :P

try using gparted to partition the external first, an 8GB swap and 60GB partition is more than plenty for BT5, then install ubuntu and select the side by side option