Thread: [TV] Hannibal

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It was funny how people critizised the season 2 trailer for revealing too much of the plot, only to see episode 1 opening with the particular fighting scene right away.

But yeah, Hannibal is an amazing show, easily one of my all time favourites. Also happy to see season 2 lives up to the huge expectations the first season left us with.

I have to say, the art direction for this show is really something else. All the human sculptures they come up with must be an interesting challenge for them. I'm still surprised that they've been able to get away with a lot of the more grisly scenes.

On a side note, it was cool to see Fishburne back in action. That scene was giving me flashbacks to the Morpheus vs Agent Smith fight.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2014-03-12 at 04:53 AM.

The much anticipated "Beehive" episode premiers tomorrow after Grimm. Bees in a show about serial killers? Hell yes bees!

Still the darkest, grisliest, most surreal and at times one of the smartest and most beautifully filmed shows on TV. It is also a show in need of more viewers- I'd hate to see Brian Fuller's 7 season story cut short due to poor ratings.

Season 1 is on Hulu and Amazon- all of season 2 is on NBC (for US viewers.)
    Last edited by Gorca; 2014-03-21 at 04:54 AM.

the show keeps getting better and better. I've a feeling though that somebody is going to feel like a Blooming fool soon...

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    the show keeps getting better and better. I've a feeling though that somebody is going to feel like a Blooming fool soon...
    Agreed! Hannibal was already my favorite show and then season 2 came along

I'd almost feel bad for Alana if she hadn't failed Will so profoundly as a friend. As if the poor man hasn't been through enough. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so:

Don't worry though. She's going to feel really, really, really, really bad when she finds out. I can't wait

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty surprised that they killed off Chilton. Not sure how I feel on it yet.

I really hope this show gets a third season, I'll be so sad if it doesn't. Hopefully the ratings go up, awesome reviews by critics and fans can only carry it so far unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I'm pretty surprised that they killed off Chilton. Not sure how I feel on it yet.

I really hope this show gets a third season, I'll be so sad if it doesn't. Hopefully the ratings go up, awesome reviews by critics and fans can only carry it so far unfortunately.
    Raul Esparza's Chilton is pretty great, isn't he? He's funny in pretty much every scene he's in, most of which he steals. I know the show's creator Bryan Fuller has praised him repeatedly.

I am not entirely convinced that Chilton is dead. Fuller hinted to that in part of the AV Club's recent interview:
    http://www.avclub.com/article/hannib...nd-desi-203253

I haven't read any spoilers but I suspect his death has been falsely reported to lull Lecter into a false sense of security. This would explain why Will ends up back in therapy at the end of the episode.

Deleted
    What i liked about the movies was the shear brilliance in Hannibal Lector. Is that still part of this show or is it more of a gorey CSI that thrives on the Hannibal name?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    What i liked about the movies was the shear brilliance in Hannibal Lector. Is that still part of this show or is it more of a gorey CSI that thrives on the Hannibal name?

in season 1 he has his moments, but Dr Lector in season 2 is amazing, I would say hes more entertaining to watch than he is in the films. but just my opinion.

True, you can't fully appreciate the extent of Lecter's manipulations until Season 2. In season 1 he is basically above suspicion and works in the shadows, but even then you can see him twist the other characters to his ends. When you learn the extent of what he's done though it is quite impressive. Compared to Hopkins, Mikkelsen is about equally creepy, but has a more imposing physical presence and grace. It is also a more subtle performance. Mikkelsen's face doesn't betray much emotion, but when it does it is pretty chilling. I'm curious to see if he adopts Hopkins' more aggressive style of speech when he is finally apprehended.

In regards to your other question, the show is psychological horror/thriller with some procedural elements. However the show seems far more focused on deep character development and nightmarish imagery than in collecting fingerprints and taking DNA samples. There certainly is some gore, much more than you would expect in a network television show. However it is stylized and presented with artistry (along the lines of how Hopkins displayed his work in Silence of the Lambs.)

So... Lecter is great. Why aren't you watching?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorca View Post
    Raul Esparza's Chilton is pretty great, isn't he? He's funny in pretty much every scene he's in, most of which he steals. I know the show's creator Bryan Fuller has praised him repeatedly.

I am not entirely convinced that Chilton is dead. Fuller hinted to that in part of the AV Club's recent interview:
    http://www.avclub.com/article/hannib...nd-desi-203253

I haven't read any spoilers but I suspect his death has been falsely reported to lull Lecter into a false sense of security. This would explain why Will ends up back in therapy at the end of the episode.
    I thought Will confirmed him dead? I could be misremembering though.

My favorite part of that interview is the top comment, "Well, now all my Chilton slashfic just looks foolish." hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I thought Will confirmed him dead? I could be misremembering though.

My favorite part of that interview is the top comment, "Well, now all my Chilton slashfic just looks foolish." hahaha.
    Will indicated to Hannibal that Chilton was dead, but that just illustrates my point. I believe Will is setting another lure. Judging from next week's promo, it would seem that now Jack is in on the plan, which should be fun.

And yeah the comments section of the AV club is usually pretty great. We need to pull some of those folks over here to MMO-C

this is one of if not the most beautiful show thats ever been on television

i think one of my favorite lines was "theres not alot of solutions when it comes to mental illness, its mostly just about managing expectations" one of the truest lines ive ever heard.

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

every episode i think this show cant get any better but it KEEPS GETTING BETTER @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

the fishing scene at the start of the latest episode was perfect, a great metaphor but what really stole the show...

"is your social worker in that horse?"
    what an episode, equal parts disturbing and hilarious

10+ Year Old Account
    God that guy made me rage. The psychopathic social worker that is. This show is so great, it makes you feel so much about every character, even the minor ones. Poor Peter and his animals.

And so I guess Chilton is dead? Or it's part of some crazy plan to trick Hannibal.

I haven't started the new season yet but I really enjoyed the series. I just had one recurring problem with it:

The unrealistic murders that occur and that Hannibal can pull off.

Spoiler ahead for examples:
    1. The episode with the angels where a dying man somehow hoisted, mutilated, and arranged a dead guy 3 stories up in some rafters.
    2. The human totem being put together by an old man.
    3. Hannibal suddenly appearing at the girl's house before the rest of the police even though he told them that was where Will was taking her. (he said the cabin but you could assume they would send units to her house as well)
    4. Some very convenient and prolonged blackouts, specifically where he got Will half way across the country. During that time he was also able to simulated finger nail scratches from the girl and stuff an ear down Will's throat.
    5. When Abigail kills the guy in the house surrounded by police and FBI they somehow go and hide the dead body without anyone seeing anything.
    There were a few others but these keep throwing me out of the immersion of the show when it happens.
    Is this where the header goes?

SPOILER ALERT
    Re: Chilton (because a picture is worth a thousand words)
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...87613248_n.jpg
    Edit: removed image tag because of spoilers

Orcbert- (1-3)the show does play loose with reality, especially in regards to the elaborate murder tableaus. Then again, so did The Silence of the Lambs. I remember a not terribly athletic 53 year old Anthony Hopkins was chained to his cell and took out 2 armed police officers and dragged one of the grown men to the top of an elevator shaft and skinned and posed another one high in air and still had time to fix up a meat mask before anyone else looked in on him.
    So don't be too hard on Hannibal. The show is meant to be somewhat dreamlike, like Twin Peaks.
    4. The blackout thing is explained in Season 2.
    5. I don't recall the house being surrounded at the time, Alana was there and we saw what happened to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    I haven't started the new season yet but I really enjoyed the series. I just had one recurring problem with it:

The unrealistic murders that occur and that Hannibal can pull off.

Spoiler ahead for examples:
    1. The episode with the angels where a dying man somehow hoisted, mutilated, and arranged a dead guy 3 stories up in some rafters.
    2. The human totem being put together by an old man.
    3. Hannibal suddenly appearing at the girl's house before the rest of the police even though he told them that was where Will was taking her. (he said the cabin but you could assume they would send units to her house as well)
    4. Some very convenient and prolonged blackouts, specifically where he got Will half way across the country. During that time he was also able to simulated finger nail scratches from the girl and stuff an ear down Will's throat.
    5. When Abigail kills the guy in the house surrounded by police and FBI they somehow go and hide the dead body without anyone seeing anything.
    There were a few others but these keep throwing me out of the immersion of the show when it happens.
    Last edited by Gorca; 2014-04-20 at 05:51 AM.

This is one of the best shows. Every episode brings something up and I love it.

15 min in season 2 ep 1.

O M F G.