Recent built a computer.

First and foremost, I would like to thank all the people who helped me build my first computer!

However I have a few questions, the case I bought is the Corsair 650D which has a built in fan controller, should I ever need to change this? (Cpu fan is NZXT 140 Havik and my current temperature with wow open is ~30c)

In regards to overclocking, should I be doing it? I have an ASrock z87 pro4 motherboard, i5-4670k, asus gtx770.

Since this was my first build (took 4hrs :O), is there any program that will identify any missing/incorrect cables? (Computer is running just fine so I would assume everything is in the correct place, though my NZXT fan is rather loud).

Sorry for the noobiness and thanks for any help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevybevy View Post
    In regards to overclocking, should I be doing it? I have an ASrock z87 pro4 motherboard, i5-4670k
    Considering you spent about $100-150 on overclocking features, you better be overclocking :P

Usually if the system is running well, and the temps are good (They are!) That's a pretty firm indicator. The next step in testing stability is running Prime95 Blend with CoreTemp and HWMonitor to watch temps. Anything below 90c is kosher (Though at stock speeds it should be less. Kind of a tossup with Haswell)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

With the asrock z87, there's an OC tweaker in the EFI which allows automatic settings for turbo 4.2/4.4/4.6ghz. Any suggestions? Or should I just try them individually and run Prime95 Blend and check temperatures?

Note: Have a 650W power supply (if that makes a difference).

10+ Year Old Account
    The OC Tweaker is ... nice? But it's sort of like an automatic transmission. It works well, but with a manual, you can do better and have more control. Chances are, voltages will vary and be higher with the tweaker, and give you less actual control.

There are a number of OC tutorials, but usually the general concensus is (depending on board).. Start at 4.0 with standard zero added voltage. Run Prime95 for an hour or so. Then bump it up to 4.2. If it's still stable in P95, and temps aren't too hot (above 90c), move to 4.4. By that time you'll likely either have heat problems, or instability. If it's unstable, up your voltage a notch in BIOS. See if it becomes stable. Rinse and repeat until you get as high clock as you can, topping out at 85-90c, with as low voltage as possible.

I would definitely read up on tutorials and OC reviews of your board though first, to see what other people are doing.

Also, you should be upping your Turbo clocks, not your core clock.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Strongly suggest using the above advice. Auto overclocks add a lot of unneeded voltage.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Strongly suggest using the above advice. Auto overclocks add a lot of unneeded voltage.
    To add to this, Haswell are supposedly more prone to heat than Ivybridge and Sandbridge so it's quite important to fine tune it if you're overclocking, to reduce the unnecessary voltage which will cause extra heat.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|