Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Stormblast/Unleash Wind has been "normalized" hotfix... what does this mean?

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...fixes-june-24/

Is this a nerf? A buff? a bugfix of some sort? I honestly have no idea what this hotfix means...
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trellen/simple (Enhancement PvE)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...l/alamo/simple (Boomkin/Guardian, PvE)

No, I'm not the real Alamo, just a guy who liked his work.

My questions exactly!

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the damage of those attacks and slow (2 handed) weapons.

Deleted
    They nerfed stormblast by roughly 50% on the ptr, and unleash winds have been redesigned, it now gives you a buff that increases your searing totem damage by 10% for 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusokat View Post
    They nerfed stormblast by roughly 50% on the ptr, and unleash winds have been redesigned, it now gives you a buff that increases your searing totem damage by 10% for 3 seconds.
    Proof? 10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it's just related to 2hs.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    Normalization means that weapon speed no longer influences the damage of the attack.
    If what's written on wowwiki/wowpedia is up to date, Stormstrike(not Stormblast) is still one of the few
    abilities that's not normalized.(no change to Stormstrike)

the formula for non-normalized attacks: damage = base_weapon_damage + (weapon_speed * Attack Power / 14)

normalized attacks use a fixed number for weapon_speed. attacks with one-handed weapons except daggers are
    all treated as weapons with 2.4 speed

Most of the time we will be using a 2.6 speed weapon. if the values are correct, this is a nerf to Stormblast
    and Unleash Wind.

Before the change, the AP coefficients on stormblast and unleash wind were based on your weapon speed (i.e. they were non-normalized attacks), as seen in the following formula:

damage = [base weapon damage + (X * AP / 14)] * mastery * flametongue * magical vulnerability debuff * etc.

Where X is your weapon's speed. Normalized attacks use set values for X based on weapon type (1.7 for daggers, 2.4 for other one-handed weapons, 2.8 for ranged weapons, 3.3 for two-handed weapons).

As a result, stormblast and unleash wind will inherit 2.4/2.6 = 92.3% as much benefit from attack power as before, assuming you're using a standard 2.6-speed weapon setup (i.e. ~7.7% less AP scaling).
    Last edited by Nitwit; 2013-06-25 at 01:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds like some stupid PVP nerf towards Enhancement burst (indeed stormstrike hasn't been touched).
    Last edited by Xanda; 2013-06-25 at 01:19 AM.
    "Man knows - he knows that nothing will begin unless he speaks. And nothing will change, unless he knows."

Quote Originally Posted by Xanda View Post
    This sounds like some stupid PVP nerf about Stormblast (stormstrike hasn't been touched).
    Or maybe it's an attempt to normalize all attacks that use Weapon Speed in their formulas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirri View Post
    Or maybe it's an attempt to normalize all attacks that use Weapon Speed in their formulas?
    Explain why Stormstrike hasn't been touched then. Maybe it has been normalized before, i don't remember though.
    Last edited by Xanda; 2013-06-25 at 01:25 AM.
    "Man knows - he knows that nothing will begin unless he speaks. And nothing will change, unless he knows."

Deleted
    Yeah, on the wiki sites Stormstrike is included in the non-normalized attacks list, but on wowhead
    it says "Effect #2 Normalized Weapon Damage"
    They probably forgot to normalize these two attacks.

wowpedia why u so old?
    Last edited by mmocdc9a613e6e; 2013-06-25 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanda View Post
    This sounds like some stupid PVP nerf towards Enhancement burst (indeed stormstrike hasn't been touched).
    Stormstrike and Lava Lash actually have been normalized for some time now (don't know when it happened, but I tested it the other day, and SimC has been using normalized damage for them).

Just got an answer from a Blue:Rygarius
    5 minutes ago
    @Hoofisdead: Normalized means overall damage remains the same; the damage range is less random (really high or really low) and is more consistent.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/968...3#c-9363226344

Quote Originally Posted by mack8772 View Post
    Just got an answer from a Blue:Rygarius
    5 minutes ago
    @Hoofisdead: Normalized means overall damage remains the same; the damage range is less random (really high or really low) and is more consistent.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/968...3#c-9363226344
    Just tested the damage numbers for stormblast and unleash wind again now that servers have restarted. They behave in accordance with the numbers I posted earlier in this thread, so there must have been a miscommunication between Rygarius and the developers.

The abilities were, indeed, slightly nerfed (assuming you're using slower-than-2.4-speed weapons, at least).
    Last edited by Nitwit; 2013-06-25 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about unleash wind? A buff to searing totem isn't very good or fit the wind theme of the ability like haste did, and don't we already have that with searing flames? I hope that was just a mistake by the poster reading the wrong buff or something.

The nerf to Stormblast is disappointing, this was one of our biggest sources of burst damage and made the CD feel very potent.....If they are going to "normalize" the damage then they should let you use Stormblast 3 times within the 15sec duration of Ascendance by decreasing CD of SS to 5-6 sec while in Ascendance form. Thats the only way I can see the damage being similar, since Stormblast usually did pretty good, high burst damage and I don't think I saw much fluctuation of lows with the highs.

Yes, being limited to 2 Stormblasts per Ascendance is pretty irritating.

6 seconds would be the ideal target, imo. With 7 seconds, they'd get complaints that people couldn't get the 3rd one off, due to lag. With 5 seconds, people would complain that Blizz was toying with them, for making them *just* miss the 4th Stormblast.

With 6 seconds, people should typically be able to hit 3 stormblasts, every ascendance.

Weren't PvP Enh using a swap macro to a 2h during ascendant? It's likely to nerf that since their stormblast could nearly 1shot people if it crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Pretty sure it's just related to 2hs.
    2h's are still used? in pvp or in pve? WHATUMS!?!?!?!
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
    Just tested the damage numbers for stormblast and unleash wind again now that servers have restarted. They behave in accordance with the numbers I posted earlier in this thread, so there must have been a miscommunication between Rygarius and the developers.

The abilities were, indeed, slightly nerfed (assuming you're using slower-than-2.4-speed weapons, at least).
    Holinka confirmed the nerf.