Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I suck at tortos

i was volenteered to kick shells at the boss, i didnt volenteer...the problem? im poor at it...ive been at it for weeks and its pretty much my fault my guild isnt progressing right now..i told them...this is it we cant get it i need a break from raiding. this 1 boss is affecting my performance during his fight. i cant seem to kick the shell right. they want me to kick a shell at him and the bats half the time i cant even target properly. im sick of this. this seems like 1 of those fights that woul make me quit for he entire expansion. i need help.

and if your wondering? ive done it in LFR...im fine there...the actual raid im poor at it.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    considering, that its the same in lfr as it is in the raid, i guess you´re pressuring yourself too much. You can enhance your performance through un-checking all displayed timers at dbm but bats-timer and sandbreathe-timer. Aside from that, it is not necessairy to kick a shell into the bats unless your guild´s damage is horrible. Just make sure to EARLY run behind the shell, take your time to aim, click the button. If your damage is shit, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    as above guy said. just a small tip. if the shell is dead and waiting to be kicked by you, dont stand there camping. aim your position so you kick it in a straight line but stay like 7-12 yards behind of the shell so you dont cause a quake-circle just at the kick location which might spawn jsut as you need to kick and GG. If you stay 10 yards behindyou can simply walk forward when hes appraochjing 99 energy and kick it.

If you camp if from 85-90 energy its likely the quake will spawn a circle under you and youll ahve to move or risk getting knocked up and fail kick

10+ Year Old Account
    Put a focus on the boss and put the focus frame in a comfortable location so you can watch his energy (all doable with zero addons).

I've even done kicking while healing without a hitch, it's just a matter of knowing how to aim and when to kick and where not to put quake circles.

Tell them to get someone else to do it. If you were actually poor at it you'd have been replaced ages ago, that or your leaders are thick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    i was volenteered to kick shells at the boss, i didnt volenteer...the problem? im poor at it...ive been at it for weeks and its pretty much my fault my guild isnt progressing right now..i told them...this is it we cant get it i need a break from raiding. this 1 boss is affecting my performance during his fight. i cant seem to kick the shell right. they want me to kick a shell at him and the bats half the time i cant even target properly. im sick of this. this seems like 1 of those fights that woul make me quit for he entire expansion. i need help.

and if your wondering? ive done it in LFR...im fine there...the actual raid im poor at it.
    /focus tortos
    Make his energy bar huge.

At 85% energy you start looking for the turtle you kick. At 95% energy you should be there.
    At 99% i precast it
    For targetting, its kicking the way YOU are facing, so just keep that in mind

If its really to much, ask them to assign a person for bats kicking / backup, to take some pressure off you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was kicking our Tortos HC like two times also. As healer my performance and HPS was drastically lower than when I can just focus healing. Yea I think its just personal block that you dont want to fuck up on kicking the turtles so you running around preparing to kick doing nothing And I dont see anything bad in it.
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

Just don't stress yourself as all the others already mentioned. I'm also doing that in my guild. Just don't try to squeeze as much damage as you can. Take Tortos into focus target and watch the energy bar. Maybe there's a way to create a weak aura for that.

Also make sure you don't stand behind the turtle all the time, because then you will have rock falls while you should kick the turtle.

Aiming is quite an issue, especially on the bats. But take your time and aim carefully. Don't think about your damage.

I hate this boss, too. Especially on hard mode. Killed it yesterday and it's really a brain killer when you have to kick turtles. You have to pay attention to so much stuff.

1. Use personal CD on stomp
    2. Kick turtle for sand breath
    3. kick turtle for bats
    4. Get the shield if it's down
    5. Don't stand in rock falls
    6. Do damage on turtles
    7. Do damage on Boss

Don't stress yourself with having to deal with targeting the turtle shell in order to kick it. Use the following macro:

/targetexact Whirl Turtle
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget

This way, you can be doing what you are and you only have to hit this macro when you have to kick the shell; there's no need to target the shell and click the special action button. Put the macro on your bars, keybind it and hit the keybind when Stone Breath is being cast. This way you only have to deal with being somewhat close to a turtle shell throughout the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshot View Post
    Don't stress yourself with having to deal with targeting the turtle shell in order to kick it. Use the following macro:

/targetlasttarget
    This! I got volunteered to kick turtles as well for my 10 man group as well. This macro made it much easier. It's also important that the ranged dps who are killing the turtle make sure to not kill turtle up against walls or too far in the back. The turtles take a long time to travel from the back of the room to the front so you may need to kick a little early if that happens. If one gets up against the wall and you have an additional turtle to spare, kick the one up against the wall into the bats or just kick it to the boss for the debuff. I wouldn't recommend using that one to interrupt the breath. Finally, as someone else pointed out, let people know which turtle you plan to kick next so they stay away from it to avoid bringing the other turtles or a rockfall close to it.

BigWigs super emphasize Furious Stone Breath. Just do your normal job and when you see the big 5... 4... 3... go kick a shell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn off recount, stop worrying about numbers first of all, i go from top dps to bottom on this fight (or did to begin with).

To kick a bat, get behind it, and create a line between you, the turtle, (bats if possible) then the boss. Once you have this line, hit your extraactionbutton, i'd advise binding it to make it a little easier. You should be kicking ~ 2 turtles for each breath. One along with the breath to interrupt, and then another about mid-way through to maintain the boss' debuff, and/or apply the debuff to more adds. Try and do both kicks for extra practise, there's no real timing involved in the "debuff" kick, so it's a little more relaxed.

In terms of timing, watch, or /focus the boss, and keep an eye on his energy, he'll start his bad breath attack after hitting 100 energy. I would advise against watching a timer for his breath, since it's often not very accurate. The boss won't breath while doing anything else (quake, snapping bite, w/e) but will straight after he's finished whatever he's doing.
    Just watch the energy, eventually you'll get it.

Ideally, you want to get the kicks in early, to account for the spinning up animation, and the travel time, so practise pre-empting the cast, only slightly, to ensure the turtle is at the boss in time.

Most importantly, don't camp behind the turtle for the last 10+ seconds prior to the kick, it's just a bad idea. Rockfall + moving turtles will just cause you to screw yourself over if you do. Be nearby, be ready to run to it, but don't stand in position till it's time to kick.
    Last edited by Kaga; 2013-06-25 at 02:24 PM.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Be sure to call out in advance if you know you don't have enough time to make it. The bat tank might be able to help you out (saved several wipes that way), or anyone else who's closer than you are for that matter.

We got held up on this guy for awhile last week as well, took far too much emphasis and re-emphasis on the turtle kicker to stop trying to compete dmg wise, and just do his job. We must've wiped to Stone Breath 6 or 7 times before he finally got it through his head. It's literally the #1 priority by far. It's a wipe mechanic. If you fail, raid dies. Who cares about the whatever-less dps you're doing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post

Sounds to me like your caving under guilt/pressure from your guild. Don't dps at all, focus on the kick....once you get comfy doing the kick slowly build your dps up.

Learn to do tactics before worrying about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    BigWigs super emphasize Furious Stone Breath. Just do your normal job and when you see the big 5... 4... 3... go kick a shell.
    Bad advice for a newbie. Ignore this guy, focus on the kick and don't dps at all untill you get the kick sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Tell them to get someone else to do it. If you were actually poor at it you'd have been replaced ages ago, that or your leaders are thick.
    Depends, I had an easy learning curve as we had 1 kicker for breath and 1 kicker for bats and genenal boss debuff. It allowed the dude who needed to do the interupt to relax and not loose focus due bats.

But this sounds like a shitty raidleader if he can't help his kicker sort it out.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-06-25 at 11:58 PM.

My raid team is currently working on Tortos atm (we're around 20 pulls into progression). What we're doing is to pick a "main kicker" and a backup. The first 5 to 7 pulls ended with us wiping on the first stone breath. After that our kickers started getting "most" missing one here and there. On our last 4 pulls, we had zero breaths getting through. Our kickers' dps is a lot lower than what they're normally used to, but you can see it improving once they've become comfortable with the job.

What they did was turn off all other timers from DBM and only leave up the stone breath timer. Once there's 10 or so seconds before a breath, our kickers know they should be getting themselves into position for the kick. We got Tortos down to 9% on one of our last attempts, and I suspect he dies this friday. Personally I prepared our team for a night of wiping by explaining that we were going to be patient and allow our kickers to get comfortable with their role. The hard part of this fight was them having to learn so we were there for morale support and should do our best to get a feel for the flow of the fight. No one wants to be the kicker during progression, but it needs to get done or the fight is a no go.

This is the hardest part of this game. Not giving a shit if you screw up.... Eventually you'll get better and people won't remember the wipes along the way. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshot View Post

/targetlasttarget

This way, you can be doing what you are and you only have to hit this macro when you have to kick the shell; there's no need to target the shell and click the special action button. Put the macro on your bars, keybind it and hit the keybind when Stone Breath is being cast. This way you only have to deal with being somewhat close to a turtle shell throughout the fight.
    What does this do if you already have a different turtle targeted for DPS?

Everyone here gave some pretty good tips for this boss but something I would like to add is if you are having trouble keeping track of the bosses furious breath timer it may be beneficial to create an aura for it that will alert you when the boss is ~85-90 energy so you can get ready to kick.

I was given this unfortunate task a few times on my mage and this made it much easier for me so I can tunnel on dpsing until the aura popped up and yelled at me.

Dont worry mate.

I wiped us 6 times last night on shell kicking duties cause i didnt have the macro =(

Deleted
    I've done this since we started ToT (I'm a hunter and our GM thinks I never have anything better to do :<)

The macro is quite helpful and I would bind it to something less important on your bars, your main prio isn't blinding dps anyways.

One thing to note with it is if you position yourself between 2 turtles and there is 1 behind you that is slightly closer, the macro will target and kick that one to the back of the room so if you find yourself in that situation (rarely happens) use the extra action button instead.

With the macro you can target anything else and do your regular rotation, the macro will (all in 1 go) target the nearest one to you - kick it - return to your last target.

Communication is great in this role on normal and on heroic where I ask our locks and DKs to chillblains and empowered curse the 2nd wave of turtles to line up a kick with breath. That way you use 1 turtle to interrupt the breath, debuff the turtles and debuff the bats. Communicating which way the kick is coming in so your tank can get his bats between you and the boss is also great. You can also call out which of the shells you debuff for a nuke etc.

But as others have said most important thing is don't stress about it! We've killed tortos hc lord knows how many times now and I still miss or make a dumb call from time to time on it just laugh it off it's the best way.

Oh! One more thing, make sure to chastise dps that kill turtles that are glued to the side walls as getting behind those with the camera for a kick is a huuuuge pain in the rear :P