Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I play WoW less now, than I did in Cata, when there was catch-up mechanic

First of all, let me say I love MoP, current raids, not frustrated with dailies, there is no negativity in this thread.

But here's what I noticed. Back in Cata, when there were HoT dungeons which gave same ilvl gear as previous raid(Firelands), I had 6 maxed out characters, I ran DS 6 times on LFR, 3 times on normal, 1 time on heroic. Every single week. I played enormous amount of time.

Now in MoP I only play my main. I want to play my alts, I want to run ToT as many times as I can. But I just can't get myself to gear them all up. I know it's not hard now, with higher drop chance in old LFRs and HSs. But this randomness just makes me give up.

Again, I love the current situation in WoW, just smth that made me wonder, how many people are like me?

I with you OP. I just resubbed the other day and now I feel stuck. I just wanted to hop into some normal raids with my main but it just isn't happening. I've pretty much decided to level a bunch of alts so I can choose my favorite to go forward with in the last tier/next expansion. But it is disappointing to resub and be months behind everyone else with no way to catch up quickly.

No idea what you're talking about, catching up now is easier than ever. Do dailies for 2 days, get tokens, go into LFR, get gear. The older LFRs give a ton of gear, it's insanely easy to max out Valor with heroic scenarios (another quick way to get loot, they take what, 10-15 minutes?) and then buy Valor gear.

You say that there's more RNG now, but it's the same. Doing the heroics in Cata was just as RNG for loot as it is now, the only difference is you could run the same dungeon over and over in the same day. You could hit 90 on a character today, and be ready to raid normal ToT in probably 10 days. You get 1-3 pieces of gear per LFR now, so do them all twice and you can easily queue for ToT LFR, then do that and get a piece or two, plus Valor to fill in what you're missing, and you're basically ready for normal ToT.

I plan on leveling a Monk starting tomorrow, and I have no doubt that I can be raid ready in less than a month, from a level 1 character. Figuring it takes 2 weeks to hit 90, that should be about accurate, assuming I don't stop from boredom or find something more interesting to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, the HoT dungeons were released at the end of the expac where as with MoP we're only halfway.
    Second, I find the gearing process still relatively easy. Its not THAT easy as in Cata but its still not hard.

Leveled up my hunter 2 days ago and hoping to have it near i500 in 2 days (assuming I'll play).
    Think it took me less then a week on my priest to get near i500.

I gave up too; I hardly play anymore... I hope they change things in the next xpac.

Step by step guide inc:

1: Farm HC's to get JP
    2: Turn JP into HP
    3: Buy 476 gear from HP
    4: Go into MSV RF
    5: Aquire gear from Valor and the easy rep on IoT
    6: Aquire avg. ilvl 470
    7: Go into HoF and ToE RF
    8: Farm Rep/more gear from JP->HP
    9: Reah avg. ilvl 480
    10: ToT RF
    11: Repeat these steps for 1 more week then skip step 1-9 and start buying one ilvl 522 piece every 2 weeks and go ToT RF.
    12: ???
    13: Profit.

I used to spend a fair bit of time on my alts too, during the final patch of Cataclysm. Had a Paladin who I did dungeons with, a Hunter I raided with, levelled a few alts, etc.

Now I focus all my time on my main, with the occasional switch to an alt. It's not worse, by any means; it's just different. If anything I prefer the way it is now!

It's just the way the expansion is designed, I suppose. I personally love MoP and hope the next expansion gives us more like this, with some tweaks here and there to improve MoP's weaker spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    No idea what you're talking about, catching up now is easier than ever. Do dailies for 2 days, get tokens, go into LFR, get gear. The older LFRs give a ton of gear, it's insanely easy to max out Valor with heroic scenarios (another quick way to get loot, they take what, 10-15 minutes?) and then buy Valor gear.

You say that there's more RNG now, but it's the same. Doing the heroics in Cata was just as RNG for loot as it is now, the only difference is you could run the same dungeon over and over in the same day. You could hit 90 on a character today, and be ready to raid normal ToT in probably 10 days. You get 1-3 pieces of gear per LFR now, so do them all twice and you can easily queue for ToT LFR, then do that and get a piece or two, plus Valor to fill in what you're missing, and you're basically ready for normal ToT.

I plan on leveling a Monk starting tomorrow, and I have no doubt that I can be raid ready in less than a month, from a level 1 character. Figuring it takes 2 weeks to hit 90, that should be about accurate, assuming I don't stop from boredom or find something more interesting to do.
    Really? I can see getting to the 480's or 490's with now LFR's are now but that's not ToT level raiding, even with ToT LFR you're lucky to get to 510 iLvL, and in my experience that's pushing it.

I wasn't lucky enough to have a raiding guild to run with when ToT started and I've had to try and play catchup the entire tier and with SoO starting up, soon all the time I'm spending trying to make sure I can keep up in ToT is gonna go to waste when you'll apparently need close to a 530 iLvl to start it. With LFR's out pacing normal raids of the last tier, Blizzard is making it really hard to follow with current content.

Its harder to get geared up due to LFR having such a low chance of actually giving you what you want. I sat with a 450 xbow on my hunter alt for the entirety of 5.0 and 5.1. I finally got the sha-touched gun after 5.2, and than later upgraded it to the Tyrannical PvP weapon. Way to hard to find specific items in LFR, where with the old catch up mechanics you could just run a dungeon a billion times until you got that item (maybe with groups that didn't need said item).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
    Really? I can see getting to the 480's or 490's with now LFR's are now but that's not ToT level raiding, even with ToT LFR you're lucky to get to 510 iLvL, and in my experience that's pushing it.

I wasn't lucky enough to have a raiding guild to run with when ToT started and I've had to try and play catchup the entire tier and with SoO starting up, soon all the time I'm spending trying to make sure I can keep up in ToT is gonna go to waste when you'll apparently need close to a 530 iLvl to start it. With LFR's out pacing normal raids of the last tier, Blizzard is making it really hard to follow with current content.
    Well you can get to 480+ in like two days if you farm honor as well, that opens up more LFRs for you to get even more gear. Elder charms are everywhere because of the island scenario that gives you like 5, plus that chest thing contains a few sometimes as well, so depending on luck you could have 10+ Elder Charms and 6 Mogu Runes of Fate in 2 weeks, that's 16 extra rolls for gear.

But you don't need 510 ilvl for anything in particular, you can easily do normal ToT with around a 500 ilvl regardless of class, in fact one of our tanks in my 10man was 502 ilvl when we killed Ji-Kun, so that's 6/12 normal with 500 ilvl gear just about. And now more people will have gear so it'll be easier to carry someone through, I'd say it wouldn't be hard to find a 10man that would take you with a 500 ilvl, unless you're looking to jump straight into heroics or a 12/12 guild, but a progression guild that's like 7/12 or something would probably take a 500 ilvl without that much of a problem.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    RNG never went away at any point in time. It's just a different roll system. I think you just miss 5 mans where your friends could need roll things for you to eliminate some of the rng by screwing over the randoms in the group. Like how LFR was abused in Dragon Soul. Do the durotar collection and champions of the thunder king, one random dungeon, one scenario, and an lfr sweep (2 hours), you valor cap in less than 3 hours on the very start of a new raid week. After that your alts cap in half that time with the valor buff. I have 4 toons that valor cap on tuesday of each week where I have the most free time (Tsunayoshi, Natsuhi, Ephriam, Kalcifur Eldre'thalas US West). Gearing alts is INCREDIBLY easy with the changes in 5.3, I'd argue that it's even easier than in the LFR days of DS because of how much need/trade abuse occurred. In the end though it could just be a lack of interest in the game. I like MoP FAR more than Cata and wotlk so I'm willing to spend time on it, that's really all there is to it.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Well you can get to 480+ in like two days if you farm honor as well, that opens up more LFRs for you to get even more gear. Elder charms are everywhere because of the island scenario that gives you like 5, plus that chest thing contains a few sometimes as well, so depending on luck you could have 10+ Elder Charms and 6 Mogu Runes of Fate in 2 weeks, that's 16 extra rolls for gear.

But you don't need 510 ilvl for anything in particular, you can easily do normal ToT with around a 500 ilvl regardless of class, in fact one of our tanks in my 10man was 502 ilvl when we killed Ji-Kun, so that's 6/12 normal with 500 ilvl gear just about. And now more people will have gear so it'll be easier to carry someone through, I'd say it wouldn't be hard to find a 10man that would take you with a 500 ilvl, unless you're looking to jump straight into heroics or a 12/12 guild, but a progression guild that's like 7/12 or something would probably take a 500 ilvl without that much of a problem.
    I'm on Stormrage, the biggest alliance server in the US (maybe the world? Dunno) and pugging is ridiculous. People won't take you in MSV unless you've got a 490 iLvL. To get into a ToT pug you need to show the achievement and have 515 iLvl. The only path is to basically join a fledgling and pray to god that they'll develop into something worth sticking around for and if not you're stuck wiping on Horridon for weeks on end.

I'm honestly not sure how to go about getting back into a raiding guild anymore just because anyone that's doing well, or is a solid group, is already far along and won't take you unless you're at or past them.

Deleted
    You can't even get 530 anyway by completing normal TT, unless you double upgrade every single piece. SoO can't require such a ridiculous thing.
    The blame for this deadlock has to be put on guilds alone, since it is them who demand unreachable ilvls for joining, not blizz.
    502+ is fine for TT, any guild refusing to take one of that ilvl isn't worth joining anyway.

Deleted
    Imo it's not harder to gear up your character in MoP then it was in Cata.
    It's just that there is more to do. I love getting all reputations to exalted and since I started 3 months after the release I'm a bit behind compared to others.
    But that's only because I'm getting rep with factions that aren't needed anymore for gearing up.

When you hit 90 on an alt just make sure you get hp gear (from your jp) make some BoE's or buy them from the AH, do some scenario's and maybe hc dungeons, do some dailies and you are set for LFR.
    If you have the time you should be able to get this done within 1 or maybe 2 days.

I'm playing it less now but that's mainly because my RL is taking over ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zloitima View Post
    Now in MoP I only play my main.
    Same here. For me the main reason is the legendary quest chain. Whenever I log in on one of my alts, I feel penalized for not playing it, because the rewards are too good to pass by and there's no main-to-alt transition of the quest progress AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    You can't even get 530 anyway by completing normal TT, unless you double upgrade every single piece. SoO can't require such a ridiculous thing.
    The blame for this deadlock has to be put on guilds alone, since it is them who demand unreachable ilvls for joining, not blizz.
    502+ is fine for TT, any guild refusing to take one of that ilvl isn't worth joining anyway.

It can't? Gotta expect the SoO LFR is gonna drop around 526 or so if things go as they did last tier, and the raid'll drop maybe 540's or higher?

Following what happened last tier 530 seems exactly what you'd need to do real progression in SoO, unless you get another Jin Rok starting boss.

that only works if the RNG gods love you, my friend and I ran all of ToT today and we both got nothing and we double rolled 6 bosses each

Deleted
    It can't? Gotta expect the SoO LFR is gonna drop around 526 or so if things go as they did last tier, and the raid'll drop maybe 540's or higher?

Following what happened last tier 530 seems exactly what you'd need to do real progression in SoO, unless you get another Jin Rok starting boss.
    Why would anyone even bother with LFR if normal drops 554?

ToT LFR drops 502 and raids drop 522, 526 to 546 is the exact same jump.

I'm on Stormrage, the biggest alliance server in the US (maybe the world? Dunno) and pugging is ridiculous. People won't take you in MSV unless you've got a 490 iLvL. To get into a ToT pug you need to show the achievement and have 515 iLvl. The only path is to basically join a fledgling and pray to god that they'll develop into something worth sticking around for and if not you're stuck wiping on Horridon for weeks on end.

I'm honestly not sure how to go about getting back into a raiding guild anymore just because anyone that's doing well, or is a solid group, is already far along and won't take you unless you're at or past them.
    Oh, I have 90s on Black Dragonflight, Fizzcrank, and Ursin, all US. I've never seen anyone do a full PuG of any raid before on those servers since they're all pretty dead, best I've seen is a guild looking for 1 or 2 more, but they usually aren't that good and take kind of whoever asks.