Orc Hunter here, best pet to use for leveling?

So I'm level 70 now and just realized I've been using the same wolf since level 20.

Is there a specific pet to get that will have the best DPS?

Thanks.

I grabbed a turtle in Northrend (west side of the continent) and a tallstrider from somewhere for dungeon runs. Any pet spec'd tenacity should be fine, but some have more tankiness abilities than others. Otherwise, grab a spore bat, as I'm sure that video indicates.

There is no best dps pet, all pets do the same damage now assuming they are spec'd ferocity.

The only difference between pets now is the buff / utility they bring.

So grab a collection of pets and make them different specs, you may prefer a tank spec'd pet for questing.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

I prefer a wolf while lvling for the 5% crit, Cat might be a better choice when it gets mastery but the difference is gonna be tiny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I played a hunter was 2007; so basically a bear can tank as good as a cat now? what, that doesn't seem right!?

So for leveling I could choose any pet and then spec it into tenacity? I always thought my bear was the best since he was very tanky and had good abilities (demoralizing shout & rest for rp purposes).

TBH any pet is cool now as long as that pet is set to ferocity

What do you want to do when you ding 90 PVE, PVP? etc

10 man 25 man?

If you wanna go 10 man raiding then just bring the buff that your raid group doesnt have. If you are doing 25 man then nearly every buff or debuff should be present so it wont matter.

If you wanna do pvp then i would suggest a spirit beast for the heal or any pet with a root or a stun

This should be your bible http://www.wow-petopia.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, the pet you should use is a Hyena. The 10% extra ranged attack speed is pretty good if you ask me, better than anything the other pets give (although I'm not sure about cats, but they get their buffs around 82 so I haven't tried that yet).

But I also carry a wolf (crit) with me, a turtle (tank) and a ravager (physical damage vulnerability) and my last one will be a cat for mastery.

I think people are misunderstanding this question, leveling and raiding are different things. Raiding wise its generally not going to matter if all buffs are already covered, otherwise you just bring the pet that covers the missing buff. Ferocity is still the top DPS spec for pets though.

While all pet damage is normalized now you will benefit differently when you're solo based on the pet ability. To maximize DPS you're more than likely going to want a hyena or serpent for the 10% haste buff. In most cases you can leave your pet in ferocity (instead of tenacity) to get more DPS. Tenacity will be a little tankier though so you could in theory pull more mobs while leveling.

For dungeons, the Crit and Mastery will benefit the group the most if they are not already covered since other buffs tend to be specific to a type of damage (physical vs magic).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leveling my fourth hunter right now...this one has no heirlooms, just quest gear and I've used a ferocity spec'd pet the entire time. I sincerely doubt you will need a tenacity pet for questing. Any cat or wolf or any other ferocity pet will be able to keep aggro on most mobs just with growl and they will still die so fast you won't need to worry about it.

If you're leveling in dungeons or PvP you might want to get something that brings and appropriate buff or CC but honestly it doesn't much matter anymore simply for questing.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For questing, not really an issue. Since you're an Orc, I recommend doing what I did back before I faction swapped my Hordes to Alliance, which is to use one of the armored worgs from Ramparts since it looks very much like the Orc's epic worg mounts (Especially the Black PvP Worg), so it was like I rode my pet into battle!

(Now my huner is a Worgen, so I still keep my worg pet out 99% of the time, and I have the worg mini-pet from LBRS/UBRS, so I still keep the puppy thing going )

Deleted
    Hyena/serpent for 10% haste. I haven't seen content where crit is twice better than haste. After lvl 80 spirit beast is good alternative since u can multi shot pull with md and pet will heal itself.

Pet didnt matter to me and i was MM for most of the time. Chimera shot nearly one shots mobs but beast mastery is just as good for aoe pulls.

Turtle
    Glyph of Misdirection
    Glyph of Mending

-> 90

Quote Originally Posted by soviett View Post
    I haven't seen content where crit is twice better than haste.
    I think leveling 1-70 is a good example of when 5% crit is better than 10% haste. But that level range doesn't matter for stat weights because you won't have any pieces long enough for to really make use of their rating amounts.

Honestly, unless you're trying weird silly stuff (like soloing ring of blood type quests) it doesn't matter what pet you use. I recommend making use of multiple pets and stabling as many pets as possible (especially 'unique' ones like the undead eagle and ghost worg if you can, I have an undead hunter with all undead pets XD).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D R E A D E D View Post
    Turtle
    Unless you are going to solo 5mans there is no real need for a turtle.
    Just the get buff/debuff you want the most (tailstrider-wolf are good ones)
    and just leave them in fero.
    Md glyph is a must have tho, macro it to the pet and spam at every opportunity /cancelaura Misdirection at the end lets you spam it.

As for spec I would highly recommend going surv while you level, SS scaling is broken between 60-85.
    @70 with a few wotlk agi gems it was roughly like one serpent sting; 25k damage over 15sec (equivalent at 90 would be if one ss did 600-700k dmg).

Deleted
    I would go with a wolf, the 5% crit will be useful while solo and for dungeons, though having a few pets to swap around during dungeons is good.

if playing bm i'd prob swap the wolf for a spirit beast since that heal is handy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how you level. If you quest and want to be able to deal with multiple mobs, spec a pet as Tenacity. Any pet can be any spec, but the specials are different and can bring survivability. Me, I leveled with a bear as Tenacity. Then grab a DPS pet for when you aren't concerned about the pet holding multiple mobs. Which pet doesn't matter as you level - the buffs are not really relevant to your leveling speed. If you PVP as you level grab a spider etc and spec it CUnning. This gives you 3 pets, pull out thr right one for the situation. At 90, get the pets that will provide buffs your raid doesn't have if y ou do 10 man raiding (25s will have everything covered).