Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    we understood what u said the first time benbos... it was bullcrap then and its bullcrap now.

It makes no sense and has no basis in fact whatsoever... and if u bothered to read back through this thread u can see everyone who read your posts said ur talking bullcrap too.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Ok So then ... Does GW2 have mounts now to replace their loading screens ? Nope.
    neither does WoW. unless you have a mount that magically gets you from eastern kingdoms to kalimdor?

Does GW2 have an open ended world you can cross without loading screens ? Nope.
    again, neither does WoW.

so, what is your point exactly? of course, you dont have one. its just the same pointless statements from you, time after time after time.

do you honestly believe anyone gives a shit about loading screens? you think thats the point that breaks immersion for people trying to play an MMO? you believe that the difference between an MMO that can make money, and one that fails, is the way you get from one part of the world to another?

GW2 has chosen a way of charging its customers. they seem to think they can produce a decent game, and still make money out of it. personally i think they are managing it pretty well. WoW has decided to use EVERY. SINGLE. CHARGING. METHOD. you buy the box, you pay a sub, you pay for services, you pay micro transactions. they are milking customers that have so much emotional investment in the game that they cant walk away even if they want to. feel free to carry on acting as unpaid cheerleader for that way of running a company, but personally i think its pretty shitty.

your posts are rank nonsense, unsupported by logic or facts. and this is the last time i bother replying to you, because i would have more luck trying to talk a rock out of rolling down a hill.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Your answer is a joke.

There is DIFFERENCE in having only ONE option to fast travel and .. that is a loading screen.

There is a DIFFERENCE that the ONLY way cross ANY world zone or city for that matter is ... a loading screen.

Cost reduction of the CHEAP solution: 70% as Blizzard already said years ago the development costs is X3 when you want to eliminate all these fake borders around individual zones and make the world open (with free flight/travel paths).

Welcome f2p and b2p mechanics.

Or are you going to tell us with a straight face the dungeons in GW2 are better too ??? LOL

So ... 6 months after the launch of GW2 ... a subscription based game in the NCsoft stable (Lineage 2) makes double the money as GW2...

What more proof do you want you won't get the same service with B2P (and certainly not F2P).

This discussion is so ridiculous easy to win, it really hurts.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-06-26 at 10:04 PM.

Your answer is a joke.

There is DIFFERENCE in having only ONE option to fast travel and .. that is a loading screen.

There is a DIFFERENCE that the ONLY way cross ANY world zone or city for that matter is ... a loading screen.

Cost reduction of the CHEAP solution: 70% as Blizzard already said years ago the development costs is X3 when you want to eliminate all these fake borders around individual zones and make the world open (with free flight/travel paths).

Welcome f2p and b2p mechanics.

Or are you going to tell us with a straight face the dungeons in GW2 are better too ??? LOL

So ... 6 months after the launch of GW2 ... a subscription based game in the NCsoft stable (Lineage 2) makes double the money as GW2...

What more proof do you want you won't get the same service with B2P (and certainly not F2P).

This discussion is so ridiculous easy to win, it really hurts.
    Why do you feel the need to derail every thread you post in?

It has already been explained in this thread why GW2 revenue has declined why are you bringing it up again? Do you believe that revenue from MOP, SC2 and D3 box sales has increased, stayed the same or declined from when they were first released?

I am the only one staying on topic though with links and stating that WOW needs to battle F2P/B2P/iPad junk these days in a changing industry that is simply too costly to go F2P.

Deleted
    I am the only one staying on topic though with links and stating that WOW needs to battle F2P/B2P/iPad junk these days in a changing industry that is simply too costly to go F2P.
    And yet every game released in the past 12months has been either F2P or B2P... not a single game is being released as paid subs anymore. Thats a system which is dying out... and Wow is 100% proving this because its losing subs.

Lets see if ESO or Wildstar or Destiny all launch as F2P or B2P or they use the old fashioned subs based system like Wow... these r expected to be the next 3 big MMOs on the market so theyre the best measurement of which format is best in the current gaming market. I trust their staff to make better decisions than anyone on these forums *points at benbos*.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    The gaming industry as a whole has been declining, but from what I understand PC gaming has seen a recent surge in popularity.
    Not it hasnt - Playing games on your PC is a dying bread as people want to play for fun and uses Smartphones and Tablets everyday more for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Less people play games because there is less money is the world.
    BALLS see above - Just because PC & Console games decline doesnt mean less people play games....

Deleted
    PC gaming is at an all time high, and WoW is completely failing right now. The reason is that Blizzard made WoW feel like a cheap f2p game, only it still requires a sub fee. Obviously people will leave. Contrary to Blizzards belief the majority of the playerbase is not stupid or 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    PC gaming is at an all time high, and WoW is completely failing right now. The reason is that Blizzard made WoW feel like a cheap f2p game, only it still requires a sub fee. Obviously people will leave. Contrary to Blizzards belief the majority of the playerbase is not stupid or 10 years old.
    It's not failing, it's simply not hitting the numbers it used to. Failing is if they're actually losing money, which they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    It's not failing, it's simply not hitting the numbers it used to. Failing is if they're actually losing money, which they aren't.
    Did SWTOR ever 'fail'? Just out of my head, I remember that they broke even not long after release, and if you're going to point to an MMO which failed, SWTOR's probably one of the better choices.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

We'll not know for sure unless they give out detailed reports of their earnings, but they're not publicly owned the way Activision Blizzard is beholden to their shareholders, so we won't really know for sure. Usually the F2P change comes when the P2P business model can no longer sustain itself, so most believe it was actually losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Less people play games because there is less money is the world.

We're in the middle of an economic crisis, and things like being able to afford the simple joys like new games or movies is becoming less in this day and age.
    Um... no. Games are what is called in economics an 'inferior good.' That is to say consumption of them increases when economic times are tight. That's because the cost of the game is less than just about any other alternative.

Also there is not less money in the world. In face governments are printing off money like crazy. It's just that less of it is ending up in the consumer's pockets.

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 12:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Did SWTOR ever 'fail'? Just out of my head, I remember that they broke even not long after release, and if you're going to point to an MMO which failed, SWTOR's probably one of the better choices.
    I'm pretty sure as a financial venture, SWTOR is a growing success story. People pay bundles of money for those cash shop items.

Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    I'm pretty sure as a financial venture, SWTOR is a growing success story. People pay bundles of money for those cash shop items.
    I was more talking about the times before F2P SWTOR. Everybody was like "Hahaha! SWTOR. What a failure." More of a point about how people define 'failure' rather than whether SWTOR was a financial success.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    So I saw an article with this chart in it. It shows that since 2010 when WoW was at it's peak, amount of money people spend on games and PC games has declined each subsequent year. To me this clearly shows that WoW's decline isn't some crazy "Blizzard is awful, Ghostcrawler is an idiot" but is largely a reflection on the changing preferences of consumers.

I don't know how, in a market like that, anyone would expect WoWs subs to not decline noticeably.
    Oh look, a valid argument with actual data to back it up!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I was more talking about the times before F2P SWTOR. Everybody was like "Hahaha! SWTOR. What a failure." More of a point about how people define 'failure' rather than whether SWTOR was a financial success.
    It was called a failure because after the first couple of months players left the game in droves... ad it settled on a very low playerbase. Much smaller playerbase than they had hoped. They soon changed to F2P after this happened.

Wow fanboys will say that every other MMO ever released has failed simply because they never reach the massive playerbase that Wow achieved. In reality failure or success is not always measured on the playerbase.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-06-27 at 01:04 AM.

-9% spend. WoW lost 3-4 million subscribers, that's about a 30% drop. I guess WoW is unlucky that everyone chose to quit playing it.

This graph is about gaming going digital. It doesn't even show massive drops of how much people spend on games?:S
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-06-27 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    It was called a failure because after the first couple of months players left the game in droves... ad it settled on a very low playerbase. Much smaller playerbase than they had hoped. They soon changed to F2P after this happened.

Wow fanboys will say that every other MMO ever released has failed simply because they never reach the massive playerbase that Wow achieved. In reality failure or success is not always measured on the playerbase.
    I cannot stress that enough.

There was some indie dev guy in a video somewhere (think it was a Sony PS4 promo vid) where he was talking about how it's more important to make your goal be a great game with a decent profit - but not go for MASSIVE profit because you end up no longer caring about the product and are ending up just trying to maintain the profit mountain from falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    So I saw an article with this chart in it. It shows that since 2010 when WoW was at it's peak, amount of money people spend on games and PC games has declined each subsequent year. To me this clearly shows that WoW's decline isn't some crazy "Blizzard is awful, Ghostcrawler is an idiot" but is largely a reflection on the changing preferences of consumers.

I don't know how, in a market like that, anyone would expect WoWs subs to not decline noticeably.
    Is that really the split between video games and PC games? That's depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Video game sales went down with 25% on a YEARLY basis over the last 2 years...
    Where does that say that in the graph the OP posted which some people call evidence?
    But ALL mmorpg's except WoW and EvE turned to FREE to play or buy to play over the past 2 years too (in an attempt to survive).
    Attempt to survive? I heard F2P is a much better system than P2P and generates more profit.
    Combine these elements and you'll see that WoW PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS are still doing great compared to the rest of the bunch.

What is great ? Well a revenue of 275 MILLION dollars in the first quarter of 2013 is kinda ... Great.

):

See www.activisionblizzard.com and look under investors relations

Pdf page 11/14: a total revenue of 275 million dollars for the MMO part. Also see the foot note: all Is WoW revenue since CoD Elite went free to play in late 2012...

Sure... (has nothing to do with what the OP is saying).

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Is that really the split between video games and PC games? That's depressing.
    Physical retail. When was the last time you saw the PC shelf in a games store? They're as represented as in that chart. Most people buy PC games digitally now I'd figure.