Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Seeing as no one actually is posting anything constructive,

If you look at the spec linked, it is a 61 deep void knight with 3 in paladin and 12 in warlord. You want to get to the ability to block with a 2 hander in warlord, but that is it. Point for point, you gain more reduction putting points into a different defensive tree. Void knight, unless this has changed, provides the most well rounded stats for tanking. the 3 points in paladan provide 1.5% block + 3% from shield block.

Its a pretty straight forward void knight, but using a 2 hander. While you may be tempted to max warlord thinking it is a tanking soul, it is just much stronger to grab 12 in warlord, and invest into a primary tanking soul. where VK gives 1% armor, 1.5% endurance, and 2% resistance, warlord only provides half of this bonus. I have not tried combining warlord with other specs, such as deep paladan, but im sure you could test it out. I use the 2H spec for tanking. Always have a sword and board just incase, but this spec will keep you alive well enough if you have passable tanking gear, IE. not trying to tank in greens in level 60 content.

And just reiterate the main point , tanking without a shield is a majorly gimping yourself. The extra armor and hp from the shield is too important. If someone tries to 2-hand tank in my pug, you will be looking for a new healer. If you want to 2-handed tank, I suggest you make friends with a healer and only queue with him.

On the topic of the warlord, it is a crap soul meant for soloing. It is good as a sub soul but not as a main soul for anything other than farming or questing. The block without a shield is meant to provide a little extra mitigation while soloing not a replacement for a shield while tanking.

I can't believe this topic is still active. The original question was answered.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    It's not hard to believe. People would rather keep repeating the same incorrect statements over and over when they have been proven wrong by several people and even the developers of the game. Playing semantical word twist games, when meaning is overwhelmingly evident, is pretty much a staple of MMO-C.

It's unfortunate, but it happens. We have all participated in one way or the other in our stints here.
    BAD WOLF

61 Reaver / 15 Warlord / 0 Paladin is my preferred two-handed tanking spec. I like the double charge and Defensive Posture in Warlord. I solo a lot with this spec.

44 Paladin / 19 Reaver / 13 Warlord is pretty good too. I solo dungeons with this spec.

We do not close threads based on the "OP has been answered". When one creates a topic, they are opening a discussion on all aspects relevant to the thread's premise.

For example; if I created a topic on Paladin tanking it would be open to all conversation about tanking, the paladin soul, warrior tanks, the design intent and gameplay related to and affecting tanking, the paladin soul and warrior tanks.

Topics are not actually as narrow as people think. This is an open discussion forum, not a Q&A board.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-03 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Trion considers warlord a tank soul.
    Funny, because Daglar came out and said that no, they do not, and he works for Trion, you don't, so who are you to say what they intend?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Funny, because Daglar came out and said that no, they do not
    Where did he say that? Certainly not in the quote that's been given so far.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post4133316

Actually...yeah...

Daglar also said it more specifically on the live stream. Which one is free to seek out, once again.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Actually, yeah, he says it can be used for a variety of purposes. He says it's not meant to tank top tier raid content, or to dps top tier raid content, in other words, it CAN tank, and it CAN dps, it can do a lot of stuff, just not in the highest tier of content.

Actually, yeah, he says it can be used for a variety of purposes. He says it's not meant to tank top tier raid content, or to dps top tier raid content, in other words, it CAN tank, and it CAN dps, it can do a lot of stuff, just not in the highest tier of content.
    How do you manage to keep defining the undefined. I've never seen this happen before. Never before (except among faulty research documents by 'professors' of xyz universities) have I seen such a perfect example of "is not, so must be". If not is raidtank, must be normal tank. It's not explicitly being said. Variety of purposes is laymans terms for "We can't really say what it is, but it's still useful, according to us, we just don't know whatfor..sort of..maybe".

More important, is how it's being perceived by the actual players. There's number crunchers, there's lazy people that can't be arsed to drag a cool-boi through an instance (like me), there's other cool-bois that are always first in line to smacktalk another cool-boi and then there's the people that just don't care.

The latter is the only situation where you actually get to do an instance-run without being smacktalked right from the beginning. All the former are the ones (and the majority) that are going to give you a shit hard time for being a "look at me and my cool 2h brah" cool-boi.

All of them are going to give you shit if you end up failing in some kind of cool 2h pose.

So what it comes down to is. Are you willing to withstand the 95% certainty of shit being flung at your face. If the answer is yes, then don't let us hold you back.

Talk about a lack of reading comprehension.

Even if Daglar hadn't stated the purpose of Warlord was hybrid soul, not a tanking soul. Even if Daglar had not said it explicitly on live stream, the numbers and abilities of Warlord factually bear out that it is not a tank soul.

There are 3 warrior tank souls designed exclusively for tanking; Reaver, Paladin and Void Knight. They each have a specific progression rating that is not in line with Warlord.

It's literally right in the game.

Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-08 at 01:50 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's literally right in the game.
    Just to try and idiot proof the post before the predictable response comes in, the point is not that Warlord doesn't give defensive stats, but that it is mathematically designed to be a poor choice for tanking when compared to the other souls. This can be evidinced by looking at the percentages awarded for each point in the talent trees. (courtesy of Fencers' post)

Warlord is exactly 50% less defensive per talent point, which means at max level there will be a large discrepancy in its effectiveness with no other defensive attributes to compensate.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-07-08 at 05:34 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Well, if you won't take the players in your parties advice, the guides on the forums advice, the experienced players around here's advice or the lead developer of the game's advice, then have fun playing in your own little world. It is clear that the intent of Warlord is to be support to tanks and for Solo/PvP Play, not a main tank in and of itself to all of the people listed above. Somehow though, you, by yourself, know more about the game than all of us and the lead designer himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, look!!! Mage Harbinger has talents that increase dodge and parry!!!!! They must be tanks too!!!!

Hey, look!!! Mage Harbinger has talents that increase dodge and parry!!!!! They must be tanks too!!!!
    Paragon tank. Predicatble Movements, Shifting Blades, Backhand/Retal, Aggressive Block/RW for ST, Thread the Trees to clump mobs. Way of the Mountain, Defensive Posture, Shield of the Hero, Way of the Sun.

Bringing back 1.1 tank specs, baby!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Paragon tank. Predicatble Movements, Shifting Blades, Backhand/Retal, Aggressive Block/RW for ST, Thread the Trees to clump mobs. Way of the Mountain, Defensive Posture, Shield of the Hero, Way of the Sun.

Bringing back 1.1 tank specs, baby!
    I LOVE how mages will get tank souls soon

oh and I notice a serious lack of separation between high end viability snd leveling viability in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I LOVE how mages will get tank souls soon

oh and I notice a serious lack of separation between high end viability snd leveling viability in this thread.
    Many have said that warlord works at lower levels, that is not in debate. It was pointed out by Kitty a few posts up that due to the bonuses, the higher in level you get, the wider the gap in defenses gets. The Original Poster though is referring to level 52, as stated, that is about when people started complaining. It is around here that the gap will begin to get large enough in defenses that you will start to become a strain on your healers. Especially considering the lack of leveling tank gear. Yeah, you don't need tank gear to run dungeons at those levels, but you do need a proper tank spec to boost your defenses to an appropriate level. So it was mentioned, but since the topic is about level 52 and up, that is what is being discussed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Many have said that warlord works at lower levels, that is not in debate. It was pointed out by Kitty a few posts up that due to the bonuses, the higher in level you get, the wider the gap in defenses gets. The Original Poster though is referring to level 52, as stated, that is about when people started complaining. It is around here that the gap will begin to get large enough in defenses that you will start to become a strain on your healers. Especially considering the lack of leveling tank gear. Yeah, you don't need tank gear to run dungeons at those levels, but you do need a proper tank spec to boost your defenses to an appropriate level. So it was mentioned, but since the topic is about level 52 and up, that is what is being discussed.
    Ok that is my mistake then...I had understood him to be lower level.