Thread: GW2 new player

GW2 new player

My girlfriend has been talking non-stop for like a year about how much she liked GW1. For her birthday I'm getting her (and myself) GW2. I have never played any GW and I was wondering which class I should take. I was looking at theif but im not sure if its the one for me. Basicaly I play a lock and Rogue in wow and i love both of the playstyle. Ranged DoT class or melee sneaky is what I'm looking for. My fav rogue mechanic was sneak in, get kill, sneak out. On the lock its DoTing people and kiting while they die. If you have any input or comments on GW2 class mechanics I'd be happy to hear them . Im not horribly concered about endgame, but I would like the playing experiance to be enjoyable. After raiding heroic content in wow i need to play a game for fun >.<

Deleted
    Sneakie stuff = Thief
    less sneakie but with illusions and clones of yourself for a big mess and nice pink butterflys = Mesmer
    (both melee & ranged)

about your ranged dot class:
    every class can do that except the guardian.
    so just pick what suits you most with the lore or style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: Thief and Necromancer.

Slightly longer answer: You really should try out Mesmer. I can't even say why, but I have the odd feeling that you will like them.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Are all classes viable?

Also, I was reading that theives can use guns and bows. Can you stabbystabby then they run away and like shootthem in the back with a pistol? or is that like giivng a wow rogue a bow and auto attacking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forsworn View Post
    Are all classes viable?

Also, I was reading that theives can use guns and bows. Can you stabbystabby then they run away and like shootthem in the back with a pistol? or is that like giivng a wow rogue a bow and auto attacking?
    No, melee classes have viable ranged attacks, and since you can have two weapon sets equipped (at least for most classes), you can do exactly what you said.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Here are some useful links that will show you the answer to all questions you have and will ever have:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gw2+best+conditionclass
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gw2+class+mechanics
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gw2+thief+gameplay

Are all classes viable?

In GW2, your equipped weapons define what skills you have. Some weapons are 1H, some are 2H. 1H weapons in your main hand give you 3 skills, and in your offhand give you 2 skills (with a caveat to thieves, which I'll get to in a minute). 2H weapons give 5 skills. In addition to the 5 total weapon skills, your character has 1 heal skill slot (with 1 starting heal), 3 utility skill slots (available at levels 5, 10, and 20), and an elite skill (available at level 30). Starting at level 7, you can equip 2 sets of weapons (except for elementalists, who get elemental attunements instead of weapon swapping).

Thieves, when using 2 1H weapons, get a new 3rd weapon skill (in place of the main hand's 3rd skill), based on the combination of MH+OH. Thieves can use pistols (MH/OH), daggers (MH/OH), short bows (2H), and swords (MH). For the various combinations of sword/pistol/dagger available, they'll have a different weapon skill 3 ability. For example, D/P will give a Shadow Shot, where you shoot them, then shadow step to them, while P/D will give Shadow Strike, where you stab them and then shadow step away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing you can do in this game that’s pretty neat is try out the profession at max level before you level it.

Take a brand new character into the Heart of the Mists (crossed sword icon). There you will be upscaled to 80 with all your abilities & traits and have free access to all gear/stats/sigils/runes/weapons/etc. Practice on the target golems or other target foes, even jump into a hot join match to test against other players if you like.

When you’re done, leave the mists through the asura gate to Lion’s Arch where you will be returned to your regular level/gear/abilities.

It’s a great way to test out new builds or see if you like the way a profession plays before you level it.
    Valar morghulis

We have a huge sticky thread with a decent overview of the play systems in Guild Wars 2.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

Worth reading if you literally have no idea how Guild Wars 2 is designed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    We have a huge sticky thread with a decent overview of the play systems in Guild Wars 2.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

Worth reading if you literally have no idea how Guild Wars 2 is designed.

Also worth noting that thread should be referred to on the most cursory of levels since there have been 12 releases since then

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/
    Valar morghulis

There is no real change or update relevant to the overarching design of the game though.

In other words, there was no update changing how the skill bar and weapon swapping operate or the intention of active/reactive combat in a non-bimodal game structure of GW2.

If you like being tricky, I suggest thief. They can have some pretty cool stealth tricks up their sleeve, and they can do some neat stuff like dual-wield pistols. they're also really efficient if you're into massive world PvP, world vs. world combat has a lot of thieves running around.

My personal recommendation is Mesmer, though. They have some very minor stealth mechanics, but they are primarily a class that uses clones and phantasms to deceive and mislead enemies. They can be played as a glass cannon spellcaster or a useful support with abilities that can make allies swifter and stealthier.

Want a more visual representation of both classes? Watch these videos, they show their coolest abilities.

Mesmer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiWcN0jmWiE

Thief: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4aaHOISx8

10+ Year Old Account
    Theif and Necro hands down for sneaky burst damage and DoT kiting

But they are different than say playing a Lock or Rogue so don't expect the exact same mechanics

thanks!

I have alot to read on now.

I did the mist pvp thing where I can try max level chars.

Got demolished in everything i tried XD but thats cause I have no idea what im doing. Theif looks cool. I think im probably gona go that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the mist pvp thing where I can try max level chars.

Got demolished in everything i tried XD but thats cause I have no idea what im doing. Theif looks cool. I think im probably gona go that.
    trial by fire man, gotta love it! welcome to the game.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    For GW2 new players, i sugges you stop fooling around and start playing wow.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-06-30 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demarco View Post
    For GW2 new players, i sugges you stop fooling around and start playing wow.
    why should they do that?

My girlfriend has been talking non-stop for like a year about how much she liked GW1. For her birthday I'm getting her (and myself) GW2. I have never played any GW and I was wondering which class I should take. I was looking at theif but im not sure if its the one for me. Basicaly I play a lock and Rogue in wow and i love both of the playstyle. Ranged DoT class or melee sneaky is what I'm looking for. My fav rogue mechanic was sneak in, get kill, sneak out. On the lock its DoTing people and kiting while they die. If you have any input or comments on GW2 class mechanics I'd be happy to hear them . Im not horribly concered about endgame, but I would like the playing experiance to be enjoyable. After raiding heroic content in wow i need to play a game for fun >.<
    Just fair warning...

Kitters also liked GW1 but after capping on GW2(doesn't take long) found it rather disappointing. Thought you should know that.

Also, Thief is helluva hard versus the rogue of WoW. It is uber-timing based and you have little breathing room for error. You'll also die senselessly from AoE in larger fights because apparently Arenanet thought they should make AoE cheap and potent for all the little kiddies who don't know how to focus targets!