Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I feel bad we put down Deathwing the way we did

Ugh, it depresses me with how poor the writing and overall concept of Deathwings storyline in cata was. He was a lore character with MASSIVE potential. He was conflicted and maddened, but still cunning and brutal. I think it would have been amazing to have seen some of Deathwings good sides in the midst of his insanity and evil. Just brief moments where we saw that he still had a heart.

I think if blizzard went down that route, killing Deathwing would have been so much more emotionally painful for the player, which I think is a GOOD thing for games. I'd feel horrible having to fight Deathwing in the end, having to put down something so great and powerful, yet capable of so much good? Someone who in the end became a hazard to themselves? That would be tough imo.

Anyone else think Deathwing suffered a terrible storyline and deserved a better death?

I feel the same way about Kael'Thas and Illidan.

When it comes down to it, WoW is a game where we kill bosses. So that's what we did. This is often not very good from a lore perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    DW had a storyline? outside of like 5 quests i don't think we did much, beyond the raid and 3 dungeons but the dungeons had more to do with being able to defeat rather than actually talking about DW
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

I wouldn't say I'm sad that they didn't make him a sympathetic character because... he's really never been that
    I'm sad they dropped the Master Manipulator angle for just making him balls out crazy homicidal though

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm sad that they didn't make him a sympathetic character because... he's really never been that
    I'm sad they dropped the Master Manipulator angle for just making him balls out crazy homicidal though
    yeah, I thought that was a bad turn too. The whole dark master scientist scheme was pretty neat, he was dealing with some dark magic. But nope, they just thought it would be compelling if he was just a flat out lunatic with no real goal other than blowing shit up.

I think there shouldve been a time where he was surrounded or even abit out-numbered like:

Alextsraza or someone; Deathwing! please cme to your senses! This is not you! The old gods have your mind!
    DW: Rarrrrrrrrrgh! No, no! Get out of my head, help meeee! Rarrrrrrrrrrghhhhhahahaha! For Nos-soth! for the old gods!

something like that.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

I feel more bad by the way Blizzard implemented Deathwing in the first place.

To go from a mastermind manipulator who's paranoid fear of all life had no end (even the Old Gods couldn't control him) to end up becoming a willing stooge who's cunning plan was to fly around the world shouting "RAAAARGH!!" and burning up random patches of land....

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much every boss dies a shitty death, because Blizzard can't write for shit.

I mean seriously, Illidan was killed by his Jailer and a random guy he pissed off. Where the hell was the Malfurion or Tyrande? Where was the closure? There was none. Maiev was a boring character, I don't really care about this stupid "huntress without the hunt" thing, Illidan died a stupid death. I wanted a showdown between brothers. It would have been an amazing fight...

The major flaw in Deathwing's storyline (or lack thereof) didn't stem from the final battle with him. It stemmed from the fact that we never fucking saw him the entire expac except the random 4 quests he was in + whenever he "burned" down a zone so you could earn an achievement. Deathwing's lore was literally the most poorly developed lore a main villain of this game has EVER seen. It was such a disgrace, and is widely why I think Cataclysm was (and will probably remain) the WORST expansion by miles and miles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Pretty much every boss dies a shitty death, because Blizzard can't write for shit.

I mean seriously, Illidan was killed by his Jailer and a random guy he pissed off. Where the hell was the Malfurion or Tyrande? Where was the closure? There was none. Maiev was a boring character, I don't really care about this stupid "huntress without the hunt" thing, Illidan died a stupid death. I wanted a showdown between brothers. It would have been an amazing fight...
    Thats because Illidan was demon and will be coming back. There will be closure mark my words.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dragons have lived long enough. They should all die if you ask me.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    Yeah, the white players always keeping the african-american dragonflight down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    Yeah, the white players always keeping the african-american dragonflight down.
    Um...I'm not sure if its just me failing to read but that didn't really make sense, then again I might just be me reading it wrong.

OT: I did feel his lack of presence through-out the expac made it feel a bit...unrelated to DW himself.
    Imo the last fight was interesting due to the fact that the aspects were there. But then again from what I can remember there was very little dialog between them which did take away a part of the experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    The major flaw in Deathwing's storyline (or lack thereof) didn't stem from the final battle with him. It stemmed from the fact that we never fucking saw him the entire expac except the random 4 quests he was in + whenever he "burned" down a zone so you could earn an achievement. Deathwing's lore was literally the most poorly developed lore a main villain of this game has EVER seen. It was such a disgrace, and is widely why I think Cataclysm was (and will probably remain) the WORST expansion by miles and miles.
    Well said. Deathwing had no presence in the entire expansion outside of the Dragon Soul raid. We saw him once at lvl 40-50ish in that slapstick questline, we saw him revive Ragnaros in a sequence that lasted an amazing 10 seconds, but outside of that he was AWOL.

They did a lot better with Garrosh this time, but in part because they had no choice to feature him in some events and thanks to scenarios that lead us along the storyline.

All in all, Blizzard has some trouble finishing off grand story arcs in a decent manner, and there should really be more encounters with the final boss before the final raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Thats because Illidan was demon and will be coming back. There will be closure mark my words.
    This!!
    Metzen pretty much gave it out that Illidan was going to be coming back into the story line.

Years from now blizzard will announce that WoW was non canon. Just a nightmare thrall had, so deathwing will still be alive!

Deleted
    I think Wrathion is blizz's excuse of how they (imo) failed with Deathwing in Cataclysm, so they can build up a new storyline for the black dragonflight, which will always be my favorite of all the dragonflights since Warcraft 1. There are still a few (male and female) black dragons around so we'll see how the story goes in the future

10+ Year Old Account
    What's so bad about the way we put him down.
    He was being a shit, and we flushed him down the toilet..

Personally, I see it as a very fitting demise..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Yes, OP. I've often pointed out that we actually saw more of Deathwing's past in Wrath of the Lich King than we did in Cataclysm. Wrath had the "making of the Dragon Soul" flashback in the Yogg Brain Room, if you recall -- we didn't have moments like that in Cata, at all.

It would have been nice to explore the madness of Deathwing -- really get into his head (possibly literally) and see something of his past, and his gradual descent into his what-would-be-current chaotic state. I was very much surprised when Cataclysm lacked this, because the writers had done a good job of fleshing out Arthas in Wrath through a variety of quests and flashbacks...

Ah well. A missed opportunity. Every time I think of Cata I see just one more glaring problem with its story, and so much wasted potential for some truly dramatic end-of-the-world storytelling.

I wish he woulda been flushed down the maelstrom instead of blowing up into fairy dust. It was so lame. I think there is even a animation in game for his flushing, but instead they went for a magical pixy poof.