Deleted

Poor computer need help on what to upgrade

I would like wow to run more smoothly and be able to 25man raid. I only play wow and on lowest possible settings which I dont mind, but even so the game is overall laggy. I cant afford to get a completely new computer at the moment but I was wondering if theres any parts that I could switch to improve performance. For example would only getting a new graphics card do any help? Will appreciate any possible advice
    My current specs are:
    System: Windows 7 64bit
    Memory: Kingston 8GB 1600MHz
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX LGA1155
    Power: 500W

I suggest upgrading your graphic card to a 660ti.

15+ Year Old Account
    How old are all these parts? you should be getting far better performance than what you stated.

Taking a wild stab in the dark i'm going to say that your hard drive is getting old and needs replacing :P

Deleted
    $400 should get you a new HDD, PSU and a 760, which should allow you to play most games. Also, I'd suggest you check the airflow within your case and dust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raniwe View Post
    I only play wow and on lowest possible settings which I dont mind, but even so the game is overall laggy.
    You should get better performance than that. What are your CPU temps?

Overclock this. You spent money on OC parts, you should do it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aswed View Post
    I suggest upgrading your graphic card to a 660ti
    I would not. the 660ti no longer has a place in the world, and there are no reasons to buy it anymore.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I only play wow and on lowest possible settings which I dont mind, but even so the game is overall laggy.

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Almost certain you have overheat problems as you should be able to play at least medium settings without too much lagging.

Try putting settings on high but turn the following low:
    Texture resolution, texture filtering, multisampling, shadow quality and SSAO. Also put both vsync and triple buffering on.

If you see framerates shoot up 3-5 times higher with those changes problem is crap graphics card, if fps gain is less than half your CPU is probably overheating and slowing itself down to crawl to prevent damage.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    The hard drive is only 1 year old since the old one broke and cpu is never high temperature. Normally 40c, but 50c if I put wow settings on high. So I have no idea why its so slow :S.

The hard drive is only 1 year old since the old one broke and cpu is never high temperature. Normally 40c, but 50c if I put wow settings on high. So I have no idea why its so slow :S.
    wow is cpu dependant. While you need certainly a gamers video card, low setting should do just fine, but in your case disabling fluent water(lowest setting) and shadows should work with at least medium settings.

other than that i suspect your registry is clutted and needs to be cleaned or a driver issue or both.

might also be possible you are using cheap an faulty non trademark components with bad drivers, never do it. So far i didn't see bad hardware, though. deinstall and reinstall latest drivers and update, replace the hard disk, do a clean windows install if nothing works.

i can play fine on a friggin medium setting wiht a 10 years old single core cpu, in 10 mans but 25 mans are kinda a dia show. i can have fluent water just with a gamers video card run just fine. Think about it.

btw, i have a 10 year old harddisk and it makes no noise, and runs fluently... there are hard disks and other hardware that gets damaged in 1 or 2 years by default so you buy a new one and there are ones that are pure quality. those hard disks with more metal and less plastic components are usually the ones that are stable. if you have 2nd pc or a friend try replacing hardware and look how it goes.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-06-26 at 09:32 AM.

Wierd... your processor is 1.2 Ghz faster than mine, and you have 2 times my RAM at 4 times the speed. Your card seems to be almost twice as good as mine as well, and I can play with everything except shadows/view distance maxed at 40ish FPS consistently. Perhaps one of the parts is faulty?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    Wierd... your processor is 1.2 Ghz faster than mine, and you have 2 times my RAM at 4 times the speed. Your card seems to be almost twice as good as mine as well, and I can play with everything except shadows/view distance maxed at 40ish FPS consistently. Perhaps one of the parts is faulty?
    While I think his system is performing poorer than it should, a lot of those statements are generalizations. CPU speed isnt everything. That and "40ish FPS" Doesn't mean much without context. I can probably get WoW to run on my old Pentium 3, with some driver signing tweaking, and get 60-70FPS.... staring at the dirt in an empty zone.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

What card do you have?

The OP's 450 is not only two generations outdated, but also it was a weak card at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    What card do you have?

The OP's 450 is not only two generations outdated, but also it was a weak card at launch.
    I am running a Radeon 4870.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While I think his system is performing poorer than it should, a lot of those statements are generalizations. CPU speed isnt everything. That and "40ish FPS" Doesn't mean much without context. I can probably get WoW to run on my old Pentium 3, with some driver signing tweaking, and get 60-70FPS.... staring at the dirt in an empty zone.
    Like I said.... everything but shadows and view distance is maxed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am running a Radeon 4870.
    An ATI 4870 is better than an nVidia 450. That said, again... CPU speed isn't everything. Your GPU is better.. I highly doubt you're running DDR400, and a 2.6ghz CPU can still run well, especially with turbo boost, if you have it. And resolution... and where you're taking fps... and area...
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-06-28 at 05:30 AM.