10+ Year Old Account

Soloing Thorim 25 hardmode

Hi everyone. I don't know if "Raids & Dungeons" is the right cathegory for this, but here i go.

Lately i've been soloing Ulduar 25 bosses for patterns. However, it seems like i've come to a boss i cannot solo: Thorim.
    I'm fully aware of the bug tactic used to solo it + hardmode, and i've done it for 10men in the past, at level 85. However, i cannot do it anymore for some reasons.
    Fight goes like this:
    I am a hunter with Posthaste, which is necessary to get it right. I kill the mercenaries, save the captain for last. Kill it, pull lever. I run down the corridor to the Watcher, pull him while the lightning ball is coming for me (which prompts Thorim to yell "Failures! Weaklings!"). Get out, place my traps to aggro the mercenaries once they respawn (yes, i also aggro the Dark Rune Watcher that can be easily missed) and get in again.
    If you know how this tactic works, you'll agree with me if i say that so far, i'm doing good. I keep the captain alive and deal with the tunnel like normal, occasionally allowing the Watchers to throw a heal to the Captain to avoid it dying.
    However, here comes the problem:

I get near Thorim and kill the captain. He starts his speech. In most cases, when i activate phase 2, Thorim jumps down, stands still, and disappears in a matter of seconds. Maybe 'cause i'm too fast?
    Looks like that's the problem. The video i saw says you have to get to him when Thorim says "What is this?". So i get there again, i wait, and as soon as he says that, i get on his platform.

...here comes another problem: he says the normal line, "You dare challenge me atop my pedestal?", which means he's going to jump down. At the same time he says "Failures! Weaklings!", and there goes the instakill lightning ball.

Maybe i've got you confused with all this blabbering, but to sum it up:
    -Bug solo tactic goes well until i'm up there, atop Thorim's pedestal
    -If i kill the captain and trigger phase 2 too soon, Thorim jumps down but cannot be attacked and despawns shortly after
    -If i wait the line "What is this?", which makes him attackable, as soon as i attack, i get instagibbed by the lightning ball somehow.

What am i doing wrong? Did they fix this? Do i need perfect timing? How come i managed it in a few tries at level 85, and now i've been stuck there for days?

Thanks in advance.

You are doing everything right up until the time when you pull Thorim. Get close to Thorim and kill the add to start p2, this has to be before the Hardmode timer goes off. After this wait until Sif yells "Thorim my lord!" and hit Thorim right then and run as fast as you can off the edge of the platform back into the arena. If you do this too slow you either have Thorim jump down and just reset or get hit by one of the ball lightnings. Do this too fast and Thorim just resets. This is how I've done the boss pretty much every week, I've cleared him since 5.3, nothing has changed. Just make sure to not hit Thorim before Sif starts talking, wait until she is active and then shoot him.

Deleted
    I've noticed a difference between how it works on 10 and 25 lately. Seems he fires the lightning orb instantly on 25 where he delays it slightly on 10? Maybe try what Tatsh said with killing the captain whilst standing right next to Thorim, I thought that would have caused the bug where he jumps down unattackable though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsh View Post
    You are doing everything right up until the time when you pull Thorim. Get close to Thorim and kill the add to start p2, this has to be before the Hardmode timer goes off. After this wait until Sif yells "Thorim my lord!" and hit Thorim right then and run as fast as you can off the edge of the platform back into the arena. If you do this too slow you either have Thorim jump down and just reset or get hit by one of the ball lightnings. Do this too fast and Thorim just resets. This is how I've done the boss pretty much every week, I've cleared him since 5.3, nothing has changed. Just make sure to not hit Thorim before Sif starts talking, wait until she is active and then shoot him.
    Before Hardmode timer goes off? I'll keep an eye out for it (but i believe i've been beating it in my tries). My problem is i get caught while jumping down the platform...

I did it 2 weeks ago - just need PRECISE timing. You can't wait for him to become attackable. The moment he starts saying "What is this?", before "Where am I" you need to activate your engineering boots (or other speed buff) and start running. Stop just at the edge, shoot him once, and jump down.. It's doable but you need PRECISE timing, no lag and prolly bit of luck as well.. On 25 man you have about 1-1.5 secs window...
    You also can't stand too close or move too fast because that makes him jump down and being unatackable and despawning after 5 secs.. Just practice, practice, practice..
    25man version took me about 30 wipes to get the timing right for the first time..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, updating this after many attempts.
    50+ wipes later, i just cannot get it. However, you were right in saying that it's somewhat easier in 10men; i got it two tries after switching.